+ Reply to Thread
Page 12 of 25 FirstFirst ... 2101112131422 ... LastLast

Thread: The biggest debate in the history of humankind -Tannoy crossovers original vs new.

I'm Dennis.

Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post
    ...and test equipment in some ways is just as fallible (if you can't measure all of what needs measured), as outlined in my previous post.

Test equipment may be fallible, but if working correctly does enable establishment of certain measurable and valid criteria for sound quality. These well know parameters which it measures are not a fully definitive treatise on all that affects sound quality, but are a preliminary, and I argue pre-requisite to any design aspiring to high quality.

To depict them as all encompassing is as utterly wrong as saying that any given scientific knowledge defines everything; it is limited and in the case of science, a moving and changing understanding. I have no doubt that audio engineering will similarly improve in understanding, and new universal valid criteria will be arrived at.

Furthermore, you appear to hope that your ATCs were listened to "by trained ears", as well as measured. Therefore, which is it more important to you: having speakers made by "ears that can quite easily be deceived", 'trained' or otherwise, or measurements that don't tell the full story?

Yes I do hope as you say, but to follow as you have done feels slightly disingenuous. It is important to me that equipment passes the formentioned criteria, and then that it passes hearing tests. Despite these processes the ear is still capable of being deceived.

Unfortunately, there's no 'free lunch'!

?????????? Sorry, I don't follow this.

Marco.
    I have responded to your post above Marco, and it has become embedded and non differentiated form your original post.

The food analogy does not hold IMO because whilst with food there is the question of its functionality - nutritional value, and the question of subjective taste, there is with the latter no reference with which to compare the end result, it is entirely a subjective response to the food, and based on the subject's experience and acquired preferences.

IMO to design speakers with a preference for the perceived sound quality as a priority over any measurements is pure folly.

I'm charles.

Hi Denzil,

"I would appreciate all your feedback on the crossovers I'm using. And would it be possible or necessary to change any components to improve them in any way ?"

It's certainly possible to change the components but 'necessary' depends on you.

Fact: Those ubiquitous white box-shaped resistors are the cheapest you can buy, as far as I know, and it can be heard. I can hear them degrade the sound . Those who can't hear it are lucky. These horrid things have no place in power supplies either.

Now for the onslaught of: But if the resistance measures the same then it must sound the same, ad nauseum.

For the measurementalists here: You are trying to measure something that you respond to at an emotional level!

Fact: The coils are not optimised in their relation to each other. This phenomenon can be heard and measured as I explained earlier.

Your XO shown has a different cap setup. The standard MG15 has, in the HP section, a 6.8uf, then a 1.5uf as part of a shaping circuit and then a 3.3uf + inductor as a notch filter. What they appear to have done, looking at the board and following logically from input for sensible layout is to use a 4.7uf as start of the HP filter. The caps after that are correct. Then, and as I can't see the traces, would imagine that the 2X6.8uf are in parallel giving 13.6uf, for the LP section where 15 or 16uf is usually used.

These different values will alter the response. The biggest change will be the 4.7uf where it should be 6.8uf. This will shift the HP upwards to a higher fequency causing an underlap at the intended XO point resulting in a dip.

Also, what are the coil values? Looking at what has been done with the caps, who knows?

I would unsolder the smaller of the 2 coils with slugs and lie it on its side so it will be like a wheel, able to roll around. The slug must lie parallel to the 4.7uf cap pictured above it.

Solder a 2.2uf cap across the same 4.7uf giving 6.9uf. With allowable tolerances it will be close enough. If you like what you hear then the next step is to replace the parallel pair with a single higher quality 6.8uf.

This of course is based on the presupposition that their configuration is as I mentioned. You need to flip the board over and trace out the circuit. If it is as I think then go ahead, if not still change the orientation of the 1 coil and replace noisy resistors with at a minimum, Mills 12W

The unknown coil values are a problem. With this in mind, do this first: correctly reposition the coil and replace all resistors and report back. The least expensive option is finding the tweeter level you prefer and ignoring the ones not being used.

Tannoy allows selection of 2 resistors to provide 3 settings. Better is what I will do with my next rebuild is to use a 50 ohm L-pad to finely vary the level and then measure the series and parallel legs and then replace the L-pad with fixed resistors of those values.

In a previous response I linked to a different thread about much the same thing as discussed here. It is all valuable info concerning your quest. Here it is again. Please read it again even if you have as the information may make more sense now and there is a pic of how to position the coil. Read on a few pages. I explain why fine harmonic retrieval is so vitally important to realistic timbre and soundstage.

https://theartofsound.net/forum/show...efurb-s/page12

Now it's all about the music, right? As I see you are from Goa. Listen to Ottmar Liebert's, The Complete Sante Fe Sessions, the last track: Morning Arrival in Goa.

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

Quote Originally Posted by Joe View Post
    Well, it was at a dealers, using my own source and amp. I had intended to listen to a few pairs, then borrow the pair I liked best for a home demonstration. Sadly, none of the four pairs I heard grabbed me in any way. From memory these were from B&W, Kef and Kudos as well as the Neats, but the Neats were easily the worst. Then at the Bristol hifi show a year or so later I heard the Spendor D7s I currently use, and they ticked all the boxes.
    Fair enough, at least there was some proper thought put into the decision you reached, as I've often seen folk dismissing speakers, simply because they'd heard them at a show, in a completely unfamiliar system and room, which is ridiculous!

However, the NEAT speakers in question simply might not have suited your amp. Amp/speaker relationships of course are crucial, so that doesn't necessarily make the speakers bad, just not to your tastes and/or perhaps because of an amplifier mismatch .

Did you ever get to hear the NEATs with another amp, or in the context of a different system?

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

I'm Martin.

Quote Originally Posted by sailor View Post

Fact: Those ubiquitous white box-shaped resistors are the cheapest you can buy, as far as I know, and it can be heard. I can hear them degrade the sound . Those who can't hear it are lucky. These horrid things have no place in power supplies either.

Now for the onslaught of: But if the resistance measures the same then it must sound the same, ad nauseum.

For the measurementalists here: You are trying to measure something that you respond to at an emotional level!

Just as an aside - I (for one) am not saying it cannot be heard. I would like to see you, or anyone else, be able to identify whether it is the cheap or expensive resistors in place without knowing beforehand which type were in circuit. Note I am not saying that you couldn't do it, just that I would like to see it demonstrated. I very much doubt that I could do it, but maybe I would be surprised.

There's a difference between being dogmatic about such claims and being sceptical about them.

Anyway, as you were.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

Quote Originally Posted by Macca View Post
    Personally I wouldn't touch a loudspeaker designed solely by listening, a total recipe for disaster if ever there was one. Just that one sentence in their marketing would stop me even bothering to listen to them, it's an outrageous claim.
    Lol... Well you see that's the difference between you and me, and your rather 'absolutest' approach to things, and my rather less so one! Personally, I'd listen to anything *if* I had good reason to believe that it might be worth listening to, such as for example if a friend who's ears I trusted had recommended something to me. In that respect, I'd certainly listen to it, whether it had been measured or not.

Don't get me wrong, I agree that loudspeakers or electronics should definitely be measured, as well as listened to, in the way I've described, as personally I wouldn't buy either if that wasn't the case, as I *know* the limitations of test equipment, in terms of 'telling the full story'. However, if you're a professional loudspeaker manufacturer then you should certainly be availing of test equipment that will help you produce a better product - no question - just the same as using a good pair of ears to 'voice' the final result will the do the same.

As usual, what annoys me is EXTREMES. Why does it always have to be black of white? What's wrong with choosing GREY? And by that I mean, occupying the MIDDLE GROUND and believing that BOTH measurements and EARS are necessary to produce the best loudspeakers or electronics. In my experience, those who practice extremes usually always miss something important!

Now, let's return to you not entertaining listening to a pair of speakers that haven't been measured.... You do realise that outside of the drive units themselves in the factory, all those years ago, my Tannoys haven't been measured? I bought the Lockwood Majors originally with 15" Monitor Reds inside, with their original crossovers, but that's not what's inside them now, is it?

What's inside them now is a pair of 15" Golds, with completely new crossovers, neither of which was measured! The new crossover was built using a well-regarded circuit published online (I forget which one), and which had been used with great success by Tannoy DC aficionados, so I got someone to do that for me, and I simply chose the components to use, based on the list I was given and their relevant electrical values, then he came round and soldered the crossovers in place.

Then (the three of us, him, me, plus another friend - all with very good ears) sat back and LISTENED.... We put all sorts of different music through the speakers and made subtle adjustments to the crossover circuit and changed some components, until we all agreed (obviously I had the final say), that they sounded 'right' - and in the end we were all pretty much in agreement about what that was, and were astounded at the sonic results!

You've also heard my speakers, and rightly raved about them, so how does that square with your idea that you can't create a great sounding pair of speakers without using measurements?

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

I'm NotTakingLifeTooSeriouslyTheseDays.

Before changing anything in the new cross-over, see if you can aquire the test specifications, and or measurement graphs for it, as it is quite posible that even though on first glance; there are diffrences in component values to the original Tannoy cross-overs, it may just be that the sum of the whole parts still conform to the original desired cross-over points.
    Quote Originally Posted by sailor View Post
    Hi Denzil,

"I would appreciate all your feedback on the crossovers I'm using. And would it be possible or necessary to change any components to improve them in any way ?"

It's certainly possible to change the components but 'necessary' depends on you.

Fact: The coils are not optimised in their relation to each other. This phenomenon can be heard and measured as I explained earlier.

Your XO shown has a different cap setup. The standard MG15 has, in the HP section, a 6.8uf, then a 1.5uf as part of a shaping circuit and then a 3.3uf + inductor as a notch filter. What they appear to have done, looking at the board and following logically from input for sensible layout is to use a 4.7uf as start of the HP filter. The caps after that are correct. Then, and as I can't see the traces, would imagine that the 2X6.8uf are in parallel giving 13.6uf, for the LP section where 15 or 16uf is usually used.

These different values will alter the response. The biggest change will be the 4.7uf where it should be 6.8uf. This will shift the HP upwards to a higher fequency causing an underlap at the intended XO point resulting in a dip.

Also, what are the coil values? Looking at what has been done with the caps, who knows?

I would unsolder the smaller of the 2 coils with slugs and lie it on its side so it will be like a wheel, able to roll around. The slug must lie parallel to the 4.7uf cap pictured above it.

Solder a 2.2uf cap across the same 4.7uf giving 6.9uf. With allowable tolerances it will be close enough. If you like what you hear then the next step is to replace the parallel pair with a single higher quality 6.8uf.

This of course is based on the presupposition that their configuration is as I mentioned. You need to flip the board over and trace out the circuit. If it is as I think then go ahead, if not still change the orientation of the 1 coil and replace noisy resistors with at a minimum, Mills 12W

The unknown coil values are a problem. With this in mind, do this first: correctly reposition the coil and replace all resistors and report back. The least expensive option is finding the tweeter level you prefer and ignoring the ones not being used.

Tannoy allows selection of 2 resistors to provide 3 settings. Better is what I will do with my next rebuild is to use a 50 ohm L-pad to finely vary the level and then measure the series and parallel legs and then replace the L-pad with fixed resistors of those values.

In a previous response I linked to a different thread about much the same thing as discussed here. It is all valuable info concerning your quest. Here it is again. Please read it again even if you have as the information may make more sense now and there is a pic of how to position the coil. Read on a few pages. I explain why fine harmonic retrieval is so vitally important to realistic timbre and soundstage.

https://theartofsound.net/forum/show...efurb-s/page12

Now it's all about the music, right? As I see you are from Goa. Listen to Ottmar Liebert's, The Complete Sante Fe Sessions, the last track: Morning Arrival in Goa.
    "Today scientists have substituted mathematics for experiments, and they wander off through equation after equation, and eventually build a structure which has no relation to reality"
    Nikola Tesla

Its now a conspiracy theory to believe that the Immune system is capable of doing the job it was designed to do.
    A fish is only as healthy as the water its swimming in ! [Dr Robert Young]

www.tubedistinctions.co.uk

Matthew 5:10

I'm Martin.

Tannoy didn't design the drivers without measuring them and Lockwood didn't design the cabinets without measuring them. Although you may have tweaked the crossovers, the basic crossover you have used is, as you say, an established design. It will not have been designed without measuring the results with it in place.

I agree that a speaker design must be measured and listened to in order to optimise it. I never said otherwise. NEAT claim they design solely by listening, I stick by my assertion that this is a silly thing to do and will lead to dissatisfaction in the long run.

It's for this sort of 'All you need to do is listen' reason that people blame recording quality when some recordings sound like crap on their systems and they end up with the system dictating what music they can enjoy. And if they have spent a lot of money badly then you get the absurd claim that 'The better the system is, the more recordings become unlistenable.'

I've designed loudspeakers, I have practical experience of trying to do it solely by ear. It's a mistake.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm joe.

Fair enough, at least there was some proper thought put into the decision you reached, as I've often seen folk dismissing speakers, simply because they'd heard them at a show, in a completely unfamiliar system and room, which is ridiculous!

However, the NEAT speakers in question simply might not have suited your amp. Amp/speaker relationships of course are crucial, so that doesn't necessarily make the speakers bad, just not to your tastes and/or perhaps because of an amplifier mismatch .
    As always, any opinion I express about whether component A is good, bad or indifferent comes with the caveat 'to my ears', or 'to my taste'. The only absolute 'bad' judgement call I would make would be if a component failed because of poor workmanship.

Did you ever get to hear the NEATs with another amp, or in the context of a different system?

Marco.
    No. Once I'd bought the Spendors, I stopped looking. The Neats were on the audition list because I'd read a favourable review of them in HiFi Plus (same with the B&Ws). I felt a bit guilty because the bloke in the dealers spent quite a lot of time moving speakers around, and I left without buying any.

Quote Originally Posted by Macca View Post
    Tannoy didn't design the drivers without measuring them and Lockwood didn't design the cabinets without measuring them. Although you may have tweaked the crossovers, the basic crossover you have used is, as you say, an established design. It will not have been designed without measuring the results with it in place.
    Yes, but the point is, the COMBINATION of what i'm using now (based on all of the above), in order to produce the sound I'm hearing, hasn't been measured!

By your logic, when alterations were being made to the crossover circuit, during the fine-tuning process outlined, measurements would have been mandatory, in order for it to have worked, but clearly they weren't... We (using nothing but our ears) successfully created a bloody amazing sound, without the use of ONE IOTA of measurements during that process - *that* is my point!

Furthermore, and notably, the circuit itself accordingly was subtly altered (when said adjustments were made), from that taken from the *established one* on the website, and the results of that weren't measured either, simply listened to.

Marco.
    Main System

Quote Originally Posted by Pharos View Post
    I have responded to your post above Marco, and it has become embedded and non differentiated form your original post.

The food analogy does not hold IMO because whilst with food there is the question of its functionality - nutritional value, and the question of subjective taste, there is with the latter no reference with which to compare the end result, it is entirely a subjective response to the food, and based on the subject's experience and acquired preferences.
    Sure, Dennis, but you're missing the point. I meant simply in terms of both the design of loudspeakers or electronics following a 'recipe', using various 'ingredients'. Capacitors, resistors, inductors, diodes, transistors, etc, are essentially 'ingredients' of a recipe to make loudspeaker crossovers or amplifiers, just as much as, say, the ingredients that make up a cake.

And all impart their own unique flavour, or in the case of electrical components, produced by different manufacturers, 'sonic signature' on the circuit in question, and which rather importantly, considering what we're discussing, can't be measured.

Therefore, for that *very* reason you need EARS (good ones) to successfully 'marry' those ingredients (along with the various sonic signatures), in order to allow the speakers or electronics in question to produce a lifelike and realistic sound [one that can do proper justice to recorded music], which experience tells me measurements ALONE can't.

IMO to design speakers with a preference for the perceived sound quality as a priority over any measurements is pure folly.
    Ok that's fine, but how do you square these two earlier comments:

Quote Originally Posted by Pharos
    I'd put a lot of money on them [ATC] having listened extensively, and with trained ears.
    And:

Quote Originally Posted by Pharos
    If that is true Joe, to me it's ridiculous; the ear can be quite easily deceived.
    So... If the ear can be quite easily deceived (which to an extent I agree with), then what value is there in employing "trained" ones to voice your loudspeakers, which you clearly hope ATC have done? "Trained" or otherwise, they still have the propensity for being deceived.

Therefore, just use measurements alone and be done with it, surely?

Marco.
    Main System

+ Reply to Thread
Page 12 of 25 FirstFirst ... 2101112131422 ... LastLast