+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 25 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast

Thread: The biggest debate in the history of humankind -Tannoy crossovers original vs new.

I'm Denzil.

Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post
    Here are pics of the crossovers used in my 15" MGs:

Clarity Cap Capacitors and Duelund CAST graphite resistors used throughout, along with air-core copper foil-coil inductors, all point-to-point wired with VDH CS-14 Hybrid internal speaker cable.

Anyone who's heard my Tannoys (in Lockwood Major cabs) knows how fabulous they sound, and in no small part due to the improved crossovers!

Marco.
    These must sound amazing Marco !

So there are no switches for slope and energy ? And you don't miss them ?

Regards,

Denzil
    https://www.instagram.com/elsewheregoa

I'm Denzil.

Quote Originally Posted by sailor View Post
    Hi Denzil,

To answer your question : to refurbish or replace with new, is simple, it depends

It depends on who will do the refurbishing and which new XO you would be considering.

One thing is for sure, they definitely need upgrading. If you refurbish you need some considerable experience with the different components and the effect they individually have on the sound. You do of course get to choose.

Having designed and built many speakers I know the time and effort you have invested in the impressive ones you have built and were it me, I would not hesitate to spend generously. The Tannoys deserve it.

If you buy you may get what the seller considers 'good enough'. I see Paul from RFC has been mentioned a few times and though I know nothing about this gentleman am sure he could advise you and use any component of your choice, should you have some specific item in mind.

I looked at the links you provided and at his board layout and it would not be too difficult for him to adapt it to accommodate a huge cap to the tweeter for example.

I see another poster is warning you about a cap's ESR
    He claims replacing an electrolytic with the same value film cap will change the frequency response. This is simply not true.

A different value cap will alter the response but we are not considering doing that. The formula for Capacitive Reactance Xc = 1/2Pi.fc There is no value for R in the equation, so it is apparent that resistance can be ignored. Also consider that were this not true then every time you selected a different tweeter setting you would be changing the XO frequency.

Here is a link to a thread that I think will interest you. I have some pics showing an XO I built using a 6.8uf Jantzen Superior capacitor which is the same value used in the Tannoy gold. Its the big fat red one. The units I built for myself and friends used a mixture of Clarity Cap, Mundorf Supreme and Jupiter wax caps. I could not afford the very expensive Jupiters but maybe you can. They are delicious. The wire connecting to the speakers is the same Duelund I recommended you consider in your current speaker cable thread.

In my post 117 on page 12 there is a link that will take you to an excellent, almost a dissertation, on the sound of different caps and has been recently updated.

https://theartofsound.net/forum/show...efurb-s/page12

If you read on a few more pages you will find more pertinent info.

The link I provided on your speaker wire thread is a review by Jeff Day on the Duelund wire that he uses on his Altec VOTT and Tannoy Westminsters, I think. You can find a detailed discussion on his crossovers for both designs where he uses the eye-wateringly expensive Duelund caps. An entertaining read.
    Thanks !

Yes, I get what you are saying about it being more or less mandatory to ether change or refurbish the crossovers. I also went to the link you sent in the speaker wire thread and those crossovers and caps look absolutely edible

Thanks and regards,

Denzil

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

Quote Originally Posted by Denzil View Post
    These must sound amazing Marco !

So there are no switches for slope and energy ? And you don't miss them ?

Regards,

Denzil
    Hi Denzil,

Cheers, they do. Nope, hard-wired sounded MUCH better! All the switched did was add unnecessary complication and distortion to the signal. The slope and energy controls aren't really needed, outside of use in a studio, if the circuit and system is right (and of course room)

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

I'm Denzil.

Quote Originally Posted by Edward View Post
    Yes Paul and I did discuss this but I decided mainly for cost reasons for now just to go for a restore of the original xovers. Paul said that a restore would get me mostly there. I do have experience (friend's systems) of Paul's external xovers (driving resp. 12 inch HPDs and 12 inch Golds) and they make nice sounds. But of course their systems are different to mine as well as their room acoustics so can't compare like for like.

I have in mind (probably more a dream) of commissioning cabs for my HPD385s and Paul's external crossovers would be part of that plan (dream) hence my interest in your cabs. BTW which design did you use? Was it one from hilberink?

atb
    Edward
    Thanks Edward,

Regarding your questions about my cabinet design, I went through all the designs in hilberink in great detail. And it was hilberink that was hugely inspirational and pointed me in the right direction (as a complet novice). But it was mainly the internals and the technical bits about speaker cabinet design, internal bracing, cabinet volume, dimensions etc., which I picked up from there. In particular these :

https://www.hilberink.nl/codehans/tannoy30.htm (2 pages)

https://www.hilberink.nl/codehans/tannoy107.htm

http://www.44bx.com/tannoy/mods.html

Then I had to take whatever I learned from there and modify it to suit my constraints, mainly in terms of size. To complicate matters, I was not sure if I wanted to opt for a Aperiodic shelf (Lockwood inspired)

or simple ported (as Tannoy engeneers and drawings suggest). So I did both !!!put in an Aperiodic shelf and ALSO 3 ports, 4 inches x 10.5 inches, tuned to 29 Hz. I thought I would first hear what they sounded like with the Aperiodic shelf + the tuned ports (which I know is not usually done). Then I would experiment with taking the tubes off the ports so that they turned into simple Aperiodic cabinets. And then also experiment with taking the felt off the Aperiodic shelf and check what they sounded like as simple ported cabnet tuned to 29 Hz. However, Covid 19 and social distancing has put everything on hold. At the moment I have the shelf and the ports. And they actually sound very good, much, much better that the Lancaster cabinets they were originally in. I will experiment further without the shelf and just tuned ports and later without the tubes and just the Aperiodic shelf without the 19.5 inch tubes.

So that was as far as the technical aspect goes. But when I came to aesthetics, nothing which I saw on the net (D.I.Y projects) really appealed to me. But I did like the aesthetics of some some of the modern Tannoy speakers. Especially the TANNOY CANTERBURY

And the TANNOY GRF

upload pics online without account

But one looked too boxy and one looked too modern to me. So I tried to use elements from both to make my cabinets which to me look not too modern and have some character and look like Tannoy's.

large image upload

And I'm happy with the results. But it wouldn't have been possible without the wonderful craftsmanship of the simple village carpenters who I worked with, who I have the greatest respect for.

Please start working on your cabinets now

Denzil
    Last edited by Denzil; 30-05-2020 at 18:39.

They look absolutely stunning, Denzil - and no doubt sound it, too!

Now for my (rather shabbier) mid-1960s, rosewood coloured, formica-covered 'wardrobes', equipped with castors and side-handles...

Well, they were mainly used in studios! Sound bloody good though, on the end of the valve amp in my avatar. Yes, with simply the standard Lockwood Aperiodic shelf, they sound best (in my smallish room), right into the corners and up against the back wall, then heavily toed-in towards the listening position)

Mana Acoustics 'Soundbases' are used, originally intended to support huge Krell amps.

*Some* of my physical music collection on CD and vinyl):

Card table and computer belong to my wife, as during lockdown she's currently using the room to conduct ZOOM meetings for work, and likes having that backdrop of vinyl!

I have a separate movies/streaming system downstairs, with 3 x 3TB hard-drives full of choons!

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

I'm charles.

@fatmarley: Hi matt, interesting. To get these changes, just how much did you alter the ESR values? When you say the frequency response is changing, what is it you see? Is it the amplitude, the slope of the roll off or the knee?

Barry, yes the different ESR will change the Q but how significant is it and can you hear it? Sure in a feedback circuit it can be important but we are talking about speaker crossovers not RF.

I have gained most of my theory on XO and speaker design by studying articles from the JAES and books and papers by Vance Dickerson, Joseph D'Appolito and other luminaries like Sigfried Linkwitz and never have any of them brought the capacitor's Q nor ESR into the discussion.

I use Omnimic V2 to measure, and notice a small difference by drawing the curtains in the frequency response and CSD yet see no difference at all when replacing caps. Hence my prior comment about ESR being a non-issue.

Barry you seem more interested in disagreeing with me than addressing the original posters question.

I'm openingabottleofwine.

I was agreeing with Matt (fatmarley). The theory is just as applicable at audio frequencies as it is to, say, RF. I did say the effect on frequency might be small; it all depends on the Q values achieved.

I cannot address the OP's question as I have no knowledge of Tannoy speakers, or of their crossovers.
    Barry

I'm charles.

Hi Marco,

Interesting to see you employing Duelund resistors. I have not yet got around to trying them and really would like to. May I ask you if you compared them to others and what your findings were?

In the pics I posted of a recent XO rebuild there is a Powertron resistor which is a Vishay foil. I find it extremely clean and detailed but not tolerant of poor recordings. But if there is something better?

I'm Denzil.

Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post
    They look absolutely stunning, Denzil - and no doubt sound it, too!

Now for my (rather shabbier) mid-1960s, rosewood coloured, formica-covered 'wardrobes', equipped with castors and side-handles...

Well, they were mainly used in studios! Sound bloody good though, on the end of the valve amp in my avatar. Yes, with simply the standard Lockwood Aperiodic shelf, they sound best (in my smallish room), right into the corners of the room and up against the back wall, then heavily toed-in towards the listening position)

Mana Acoustics 'Soundbases' are used, originally intended to support huge Krell amps.

Some of my physical music collection on CD and vinyl):

Card table and computer are Del's, as she's currently using the room to conduct ZOOM meetings for work, and likes having the backdrop of vinyl!

I have a separate movies/streaming system downstairs, with 3 x 3TB hard-drives full of choons!

Marco.
    That's amazing ! They must sound superb ! And they look huge ! What are the dimensions ? Volume in ltrs ? And your incredible vinyl and CD collection

Denzil

Cheers, guys. I'll get to these posts properly later. Bit busy just now.

However, Denzil, I believe that they're 220 litres. I'll get the dimensions for you later. Yes, you could say that they're 'chunky' One of the reasons I think the Lockwood Major cabs sound so good with 15" Tannoy DCs is their wide-baffle approach.

Not exactly 'room friendly' in size for your average UK lounge (but then they were never meant to be), but to my ears, their wide-baffles seem to allow the internal 15" drivers to 'breathe' better, and this manifests itself in the sheer scale and power of the bass delivery - it's palpable and really quite something when reproducing the right material, such as the sheer gravitas or 'swell' of an orchestra in full flow, or the kick-ass impact of dub-reggae bass or hip-hop!

It can be a truly 'visceral' experience, somewhat like being at a gig or live concert - or at least a convincing snapshot of such.

Anyway, more later, including I promise, Charles, some resistor chat!

Marco.
    Main System

+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 25 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast