+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 25 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast

Thread: The biggest debate in the history of humankind -Tannoy crossovers original vs new.

I'm Martin.

Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post
    Cheers, guys. I'll get to these posts properly later. Bit busy just now.

However, Denzil, I believe that they're 220 litres. I'll get the dimensions for you later. Yes, you could say that they're 'rather chunky' One of the reasons I think the Lockwood Major cabs sound so good with 15" Tannoy DCs is their wide-baffle approach.

Not exactly 'room friendly' in size for your average UK lounge (but then they were never meant to be), but to my ears, their wide-baffles seem to allow the internal 15" drivers to 'breathe' more, and this manifests itself in the sheer scale and power of the bass delivery - o.
    It's a result of baffle step response. The wider the baffle the lower the frequency of cancellation at the edges.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

Yeah, could be. You've heard them, so you know what I mean

In that respect, if I were designing cabs for 15" DCs, from scratch, and 'room imposition', as it were, wasn't an issue, I'd always go with fat-assed baffles. As I always tell her, never mind the length, feel the width

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

I'm Denzil.

In that respect, if I were designing cabs for 15" DCs, from scratch, and 'room imposition', as it were, wasn't an issue, I'd always go with fat-assed baffles. As I always tell her, never mind the length, feel the width

Marco.
    As for me, I definitely had width restrictions because of where my speakers are placed in the room. It's a fairly large room (20 x 30 ft) but the only place where my system could go is in a alcove of the room as you will see in the photos. However, while building the cabinets I was seeing various debates about Tannoy's needing wide baffles. However, there's something which really baffles me (pun intended). If Tannoy's actually do need wide baffles, why are the "TANNOY KINGDOM ROYAL'S" so narrow ? There's obviously no economic consideration when it comes to that level and it's their flagship speaker.

Denzil
    https://www.instagram.com/elsewheregoa

I'm charles.

Hi Denzil,

Baffle Step Compensation is catered for in the XO design and it robs a few dB of sensitivity. For the low output single ended triode fans, a wide baffle is preferred as less or no BSC is necessary.

Loosing 3 dB's to BSC is equivalent to halving you amps power.

I'm charles.

Forgot to mention that the trade off for the manufacturer is to sacrifice a few dB's of sensitivity for a smaller footprint speaker and ultimately more attractive design from a marketing point of view.

Seems its the wives who mostly wear the trousers

My good friend says he definitely wears the trousers in the house, only that he has to ask her which ones to wear

I'm Denzil.

Marco.

I'm Denzil.

Quote Originally Posted by sailor View Post
    Hi Denzil,

Baffle Step Compensation is catered for in the XO design and it robs a few dB of sensitivity. For the low output single ended triode fans, a wide baffle is preferred as less or no BSC is necessary.

Loosing 3 dB's to BSC is equivalent to halving you amps power.
    So is it just a matter of loosing a few DBs ? Just power or does it translate into some areas of quality ? If you had an amp with adequate power, would it not matter ?

I'm Denzil.

Quote Originally Posted by sailor View Post
    Forgot to mention that the trade off for the manufacturer is to sacrifice a few dB's of sensitivity for a smaller footprint speaker and ultimately more attractive design from a marketing point of view.

Seems its the wives who mostly wear the trousers

My good friend says he definitely wears the trousers in the house, only that he has to ask her which ones to wear
    Hahaha

What about husbands who can afford speakers like the "FOCAL GRANDE UTOPIA EM EVO LOUDSPEAKER" which cost $ 260000 a pair. I'm sure they can afford many wives with many trousers and many different speakers in various different homes but even these speakers have very narrow baffles.
    Also, the link which I posted earlier, this one

http://www.44bx.com/tannoy/mods.html

This is a design recommended by Tannoy and the footprint is large. Yet it appears to have a narrow baffle and is much deeper than it is wide. So I'm still confused

Regards,

Denzil
    PS. I've read somewhere about narrow and deep (rather than wide) speaker cabinets having better imaging. Not sure if there's any substance to that.

I'm Martin.

Quote Originally Posted by Denzil View Post
    So is it just a matter of loosing a few DBs ? Just power or does it translate into some areas of quality ? If you had an amp with adequate power, would it not matter ?
    No it wouldn't matter. But when Tannoy designed the original cabs watts were very expensive. As Charlie mentioned to get that 3dB back you need double the power. No big deal now but back in the days before transistors, and for a while after transistor amps appeared, it was.
    Current Lash Up:

I'm Martin.

Quote Originally Posted by Denzil View Post
    PS. I've read somewhere about narrow and deep (rather than wide) speaker cabinets having better imaging. Not sure if there's any substance to that.
    Yes there is. Which is why you have some designs (e.g some KEFs & B&Ws) where the bass cab is big and wide but mid- range and tweeter are mounted on a much smaller unit above. Every speaker design is a trade off of compromises. Tannoy make up for it by being dual concentric point source so what you lose on the swings you make up on the roundabout.
    Current Lash Up:

+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 25 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast