+ Reply to Thread
Page 13 of 25 FirstFirst ... 3111213141523 ... LastLast

Thread: The biggest debate in the history of humankind -Tannoy crossovers original vs new.

I'm matt.

Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post
    We (using nothing but our ears) successfully created a bloody amazing sound, without the use of ONE IOTA of measurements during that process - *that* is my point!
    And there's a good chance they could be even better with the same quality of components, but with measurements. That 'two steps forward, one step back' thing I mentioned earlier.

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

Quote Originally Posted by fatmarley View Post
    And there's a good chance they could be even better with the same quality of components, but with measurements. That 'two steps forward, one step back' thing I mentioned earlier.
    Yes it's certainly possible, and I wouldn't have been averse to it either. However, it doesn't negate the fact (as demonstrated) that it's not mandatory to make measurements to get a fantastic sound, such as anyone who's heard my speakers would attest to.

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

I'm Martin.

Yes, but the point is, the COMBINATION of what i'm using now (based on all of the above), in order to produce the sound I'm hearing, hasn't been measured!

By your logic, when alterations were being made to the crossover circuit, during the fine-tuning process outlined, measurements would have been mandatory, in order for it to have worked, but clearly they weren't..
    o.
    No that's not my position. My position is that you have to start from a measurement persepective to at least get in the ballpark, then you can fine tune 'by ear'. Which I'm pretty sure is what you are saying too. You can't just pull inductors and capacitors at random out of a bag and use that as a starting point.
    Last edited by Macca; 06-06-2020 at 11:29.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm Grant.

Quote Originally Posted by Macca View Post
    No that's not my position. My position is that you have to start from a measurement persepective to at least get in the ballpark, then you can fine tune 'by ear'. Which I'm pretty sure is what you are saying too. You can't just pull indictors and capacitors at random out of a bag and use that as a starting point.
    i'd agree
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

No that's not my position.
    I wasn't talking about your 'position' though; I was talking about the point *I* was making, which you were missing

My position is that you have to start from a measurement persepective to at least get in the ballpark, then you can fine tune 'by ear'. Which I'm pretty sure is what you are saying too. You can't just pull indictors and capacitors at random out of a bag and use that as a starting point.
    Yes indeed, if you're starting from scratch.

However, in the circumstances I described, and simply fine-tuning/voicing an existing crossover circuit, measurements aren't mandatory. And going back to the POINT I was making before, based on the results I achieved with that fine-tuning/voicing, you don't always need to make measurements, in order to create a great sound. *THAT* is my point

However, as Matt says, they can help improve matters, and often do!

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

I'm Martin.

I wasn't talking about your 'position' though; I was talking about the point *I* was making, which you were missing

Yes indeed, if you're starting from scratch.

However, in the circumstances I described, simply fine-tuning an existing crossover circuit, measurements aren't mandatory. And going back to the POINT I was making before, based on the results I achieved with that fine-tuning/'voicing', you don't always need to make measurements to create a great sound. *THAT* is my point
    Completely agree, never said otherwise. I was talking about designing the speaker from scratch just by listening to music, as NEAT claim they do. Not tweaking an already existing crossover design in speakers already designed (at least mostly) by measurements. Although I agree with Matt that measuring can help with that too. But it isn't essential as the thing will be mostly right already.
    Current Lash Up:

Yes, we're on the same page

I repeat though, for absolute clarity, that the *main point* I was making was to dispel the myth, created by staunch objectivists, that making love to your test equipment is a mandatory procedure before you can achieve any genuine improvement, when applying some change/tweak to the circuit of either electronics or loudspeakers.

Quite simply, that's closed-minded, arrogant bollox, and patently untrue. GOOD EARS are just as important. And what pisses me off, is the former view [often portrayed by so-called 'experts'] discourages people with perfectly good ones from USING them!

Marco.
    Main System

I'm Martin.

Yes, we're on the same page

I repeat though, for absolute clarity, that the *main point* I was making was to dispel the myth, created by staunch objectivists, that making love to your test equipment is a mandatory procedure before you can achieve any genuine improvement, when applying some change/tweak to the circuit of either electronics or loudspeakers.

Quite simply, that's closed-minded, arrogant bollox, and patently untrue. GOOD EARS are just as important. And what pisses me off, is the former view [often portrayed by so-called 'experts'] discourages people with perfectly good ones from USING them!

Marco.
    Well I don't think anyone who was actually an expert - or at least experienced with - speaker design would ever claim that. But you get extremists in all areas and they are usually the people who know the least about whatever it is.

But anyone who claims something like 'These loudspeakers are widely considered to offer the very best in High-End audio reproduction, regardless of size or price.' is a bullshitter and to be avoided.
    Current Lash Up:

Missed this earlier...

Just as an aside - I (for one) am not saying it cannot be heard. I would like to see you, or anyone else, be able to identify whether it is the cheap or expensive resistors in place without knowing beforehand which type were in circuit. Note I am not saying that you couldn't do it, just that I would like to see it demonstrated. I very much doubt that I could do it, but maybe I would be surprised.
    Well, we know each other pretty well, and have been together many times when listening to stuff, and comparisons have been made between equipment, both at homes and shows. Trust me, given the nature of the improvement I'm talking about (I can't speak for Charles, as I don't know him or his speakers), I can confidently predict you'd hear it with a pair of your favourite Y-fronts wrapped around your peepers, and two turnips stuck in your ears!

Remember the significant improvements I made to the set up of your turntable that time I was down? Well, think along those lines x 5... That's about the difference I heard between the original Tannoy crossovers and the ones I'm using now.

And remember I'm not exactly new to modifying or upgrading equipment. I've heard the same level of improvement when modifying the Croft, my Copper amp (which Anthony also heard, with mods he'd approved, PSU caps, etc), and also to my Sony CDP and DAC, when it came back from Audiocom, and where mainly what had been changed was caps and resistors, just like in a loudspeaker crossover.

In that respect, I can assure you, beyond any doubt, that there was NO COMPARISON, in the level of sound quality/sonic performance, between ANY of the above items, pre and post modification. The Croft, in particular, simply by upgrading the coupling capacitors and moving from a carbon-pot volume control, to a high-quality stepped attenuator, was literally 'night and day' - and I don't use that term lightly!

So muchacho, sighted or not, I'm very confident you'd have heard the difference upgrading the crossovers made to the subsequent sound that was heard - 'expectation bias' it wasn't!

Marco.
    Main System

Well I don't think anyone who was actually an expert - or at least experienced with - speaker design would ever claim that.
    Come on, there are plenty of such folk all over the forums, and who claim to be such experts! Jez Arkless, Serge, PC, among many others I could mention!

They're all (fatally) married to their measurement apparatus, the former so much so that he even features it, rather lovingly, as the picture on his avatar!

But anyone who claims something like 'These loudspeakers are widely considered to offer the very best in High-End audio reproduction, regardless of size or price.' is a bullshitter and to be avoided.
    Still wouldn't stop me from listening to them though, out of curiosity if nothing else! That's another key difference between you and me: I don't dismiss stuff out of hand simply because it doesn't suit my sensibilities...

Maco.
    Main System

+ Reply to Thread
Page 13 of 25 FirstFirst ... 3111213141523 ... LastLast