+ Reply to Thread
Page 19 of 25 FirstFirst ... 91718192021 ... LastLast

Thread: The biggest debate in the history of humankind -Tannoy crossovers original vs new.

I'm Martin.

Quote Originally Posted by Pharos View Post

It is if it occurs non proportionally to a subsect of society, that reflects inequality.
    Yes, that's a fair point.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm Dennis.

Joe, both internal and external events can stunt/hinder our growth. Aged 12, and as a result of family 'machinations', I was moved to another area and school, and plonked into the 4rth stream of eight. After one term I came second in maths with 76.5%, and was then moved the following year into stream 1. The new maths master was Greek, and nobody could understand him, and eventually at mock 'O' level all but one got 8%. The teacher was a disgrace and it was obvious that he was sub-standard.

This has been a recurrent theme in my life, in that same earlier year I was taught that high frequency energy arrived at earth and changed to a lower frequency, and was then trapped. I was concerned and exclaimed that the result would be the earth warming. The chemistry teacher dismissed my concern, (1962).

In the first year of my apprenticeship, at Woolwich Arsenal, we had a gas flame welding test, two 3" by 1.5" pieces of 1/16" mild steel to be but welded. When I finished the instructor said "You've done this before haven't you, it is very good, in fact the best?"
    I replied "No, I have always been scared of the blue neutral flame at 3000 degrees C, but that I had used a brazing torch".
    The group all laughed and called me a liar, ridiculing me.

In the BT canteen shortly after the events of Lockerby, I said in the canteen at lunch to colleagues, that the events showed that an aircraft could be used as bomb, and I was met with universal derision. Then 9/11.

These events have contributed to my loathing of democracy which assumes we are all equal.

And it has gone on, but generally it seems that people are less ready to ridicule ideas now.

I'm Martin.

In the BT canteen shortly after the events of Lockerby, I said in the canteen at lunch to colleagues, that the events showed that an aircraft could be used as bomb, and I was met with universal derision. Then 9/11.
    What? None of them had ever heard of the kamikaze attacks in the Pacific theatre, World War 2?
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm openingabottleofwine.

Quote Originally Posted by Macca View Post
    What? None of them had ever heard of the kamikaze attacks in the Pacific theatre, World War 2?
    My thoughts exactly.
    Barry

I'm Dennis.

Quote Originally Posted by Macca View Post
    That is a different kind of scenario, more like a missile.

I'm joe.

Joe, both internal and external events can stunt/hinder our growth. Aged 12, and as a result of family 'machinations', I was moved to another area and school, and plonked into the 4rth stream of eight. After one term I came second in maths with 76.5%, and was then moved the following year into stream 1. The new maths master was Greek, and nobody could understand him, and eventually at mock 'O' level all but one got 8%. The teacher was a disgrace and it was obvious that he was sub-standard.
    For Chemistry, we had, at the start of the O level teaching, a mad Irish Christian Brother, who lasted a couple of terms. His replacement asked us how far we'd got in the syllabus. It turned out that the first teacher had been teaching us organic chemistry, which was not part of the syllabus, so we had to start all over again. Somehow I scraped a pass.

Other than that, the problem with science for me was that, although I thought I understood what was being taught, none of it actually penetrated my thick skull. What I really wanted to be, above anything else, was an astronomer. We had a lovely Physics teacher, extremely patient, who'd got previous pupils (and one of my classmates) into Oxbridge. When the mock O level results came out he told me, with deep regret, that there was no point my sitting the actual exam, as I'd recorded the lowest marks he could remember in 20 years teaching the subject. So I bowed to the inevitable, and did arts subjects (plus Economics) for A level.

I'm Geoff.

It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm Mark.

Hi Denzil, Its Mark who made your crossovers. I feel these simple points needs to be made as some of the above comments might mis-guide you. Just a few points. We have made 700 pairs, I think we do know something. The i/p cap should be 4.7uF for many reasons, not 6.8uF, both are OK, 4.7uF is best, as I discuss with Tannoy directly. Many Tannoy circuits have errors & mistakes. We have corrected them. There is a reason they used 6.8uF in MG, later decided better to be 4.7uF. We use those white resistors because they are very good, not so expensive but out performed many "posh & over priced" versions, we tested loads. People often use over priced parts because they think they are good, when just expensive. Inductors do not need moving. Finally, when you get new crossovers or upgrade your old ones you must listen for 50 to 100 hours as new sounds will be heard and it takes time for one to adjust to new improved frequencies. If you need any support, please contact me directly, and we will solve.

I'm Tony.

Trade member alert
    Coherent Systems
    Real high end sound with musicality not hifi

I'm Dennis.

Quote Originally Posted by vinrouge View Post
    Hi Denzil, Its Mark who made your crossovers. I feel these simple points needs to be made as some of the above comments might mis-guide you. Just a few points. We have made 700 pairs, I think we do know something. The i/p cap should be 4.7uF for many reasons, not 6.8uF, both are OK, 4.7uF is best, as I discuss with Tannoy directly. Many Tannoy circuits have errors & mistakes. We have corrected them. There is a reason they used 6.8uF in MG, later decided better to be 4.7uF. We use those white resistors because they are very good, not so expensive but out performed many "posh & over priced" versions, we tested loads. People often use over priced parts because they think they are good, when just expensive. Inductors do not need moving. Finally, when you get new crossovers or upgrade your old ones you must listen for 50 to 100 hours as new sounds will be heard and it takes time for one to adjust to new improved frequencies. If you need any support, please contact me directly, and we will solve.
    I'm really interested to know what tests you have subjected resistors to, especially other than measuring values and adherence to tolerance, and ability to dissipate the specified wattage without distress or failure.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 19 of 25 FirstFirst ... 91718192021 ... LastLast