+ Reply to Thread
Page 14 of 25 FirstFirst ... 4121314151624 ... LastLast

Thread: The biggest debate in the history of humankind -Tannoy crossovers original vs new.

I'm Martin.

Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post
    Come on, there are plenty of such folk all over the forums! Jez, Serge, among many others I could mention!

They're all (fatally) married to their measurement apparatus.

Still wouldn't stop me from listening to them though, out of curiosity if nothing else! That's another key difference between you and me: I don't dismiss stuff out of hand simply because it doesn't suit my sensibilities...

Maco.
    Well I don't know about that, Jez has certainly said more than once that there is something undefined separating really good amplifiers from the herd and even he doesn't know what that is.

Anyway we were talking about loudspeakers which will always be the biggest 'grey area' in hi-fi.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm Martin.

And as far as speakers designed solely by listening that's one of those situations where I don't need to jump off the roof of my house to know that I'm going to break both my legs
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

Quote Originally Posted by Macca View Post
    Well I don't know about that, Jez has certainly said more than once that there is something undefined separating really good amplifiers from the herd and even he doesn't know what that is.
    Yes, and that's one area where he contradicts his usual, staunchly objectivist approach to audio! Just a pity he subsequently refuses to entertain any notion that can't *currently* be measured as being a valid theory to explain the "something undefined"

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

I'm Tony.

Why has this thread taken 13 pages to be debated?

Tannoys<>fit for firewood no how much the Japanese spend on them, purely wrong at a fundamental level will never be anything else, however nostalgia reigns here so it seems Tannoy's have a following similar to Naim

Really never understood why cold emotionless disjointed dross of the first order yes these are my own feelings with Tannoy speakers, and I have heard more than my fair share over the EON's including much raved about exalted uber specials with quisi ultra exotic Japanese unique manger () valves that only UK guys can dream about

A 250Kiloton hydrogen bomb would not change my mind on this subject so please do not tell I have not heard x and y as believe me I really have.

Please do continue with this highly amusing if misguided thread, I still can not quite grasp the adoration this wooden boxes from sonic hell garner, the anality of the subject matter is on par with with flat earth V's real music reproduction or why performing colonic irrigation on virtual reality stars is the new 'black'

A few questions if i may:-

How many Tannoy owners have a dedicated listening rooms?

How many Tannoy owners listen to vinyl?

How many Tannoy owners are over 45 y.o.

How many Tannoy owners smoke a pipe?

Do you discuss the 'Hoppiness' of Hook Norton or similar real or craft ales?

How many Tannoy owners have a beard? (Not openly a hipster)

How many Tannoy owners use a Tower of Iron Wil to defend their obsession with poor constructed wardrobes.
    Coherent Systems
    Real high end sound with musicality not hifi

Quote Originally Posted by Macca View Post
    And as far as speakers designed solely by listening that's one of those situations where I don't need to jump off the roof of my house to know that I'm going to break both my legs
    I'll take the crutches, then!

Marco's Motto: listen to EVERYTHING. Dismiss NOTHING that has any credibility whatsoever, no matter what 'text books' say to the contrary, as that's how you often learn something new.

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. C View Post
    Why has this thread taken 13 pages to be debated?

Tannoys<>fit for firewood no how much the Japanese spend on them, purely wrong at a fundamental level will never be anything else, however nostalgia reigns here so it seems Tannoy's have a following similar to Naim

Really never understood why cold emotionless disjointed dross of the first order yes these are my own feelings with Tannoy speakers, and I have heard more than my fair share over the EON's including much raved about exalted uber specials with quisi ultra exotic Japanese unique manger () valves that only UK guys can dream about

A 250Kiloton hydrogen bomb would not change my mind on this subject so please do not tell I have not heard x and y as believe me I really have.

Please do continue with this highly amusing if misguided thread, I still can not quite grasp the adoration this wooden boxes from sonic hell garner, the anality of the subject matter is on par with with flat earth V's real music reproduction or why performing colonic irrigation on virtual reality stars is the new 'black'

A few questions if i may:-

How many Tannoy owners have a dedicated listening rooms?

How many Tannoy owners listen to vinyl?

How many Tannoy owners are over 45 y.o.

How many Tannoy owners smoke a pipe?

Do you discuss the 'Hoppiness' of Hook Norton or similar real or craft ales?

How many Tannoy owners have a beard? (Not openly a hipster)

How many Tannoy owners use a Tower of Iron Wil to defend their obsession with poor constructed wardrobes.

Hi Tony, nice to see you popping in

Hope you're well. Btw, I feel exactly the same about those obscenely expensive a-musical snooze-boxes you used to sell and demonstrate at shows! The name escapes me... High five-figures though for a pair of standmounts. Could you refresh my memory? I note they're no longer in your product range.

Marco.
    Main System

Ah, I think I've remembered now, Magico, wasn't it? Man, those things could suck the fun out of even the happiest of tunes!!

...and charging you for it, too!

Marco.
    Main System

I'm joe.

Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post

Marco's Motto: listen to EVERYTHING. Dismiss NOTHING that has any credibility whatsoever, no matter what 'text books' say to the contrary, as that's how you often learn something new.
    Life is brief; too brief to listen to everything, certainly. And who defines what has 'credibility'? Many of the tweaks so beloved of forums (fancy fuses for example) seem to have no basis whatsoever other than someone's wish to make a quick buck.

I've been to a few hifi shows in recent years, having previously avoided them, and many of the systems there I've found unlistenable for more than a few minutes. That's proved quite useful as a means of crossing items off an otherwise unmanageable long-list: if the manufacturer/distributor can't make them sound halfway decent in the admittedly challenging context of a hifi show, I'm not inclined to waste any time giving them a second chance. By contrast, equipment that sounds good in such a context may well be worth a second listen or home demonstration.

I'm mark.

This thread is a little distracted
    Back to the op , anyone bought and stayed with the MainlyTannoy crossovers? I’ve just got gold Chatsworth’s, would like to keep original, but the idea of upgrade is strong. Torn between refreshed original or his v3 board with original inductors??

I'm Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by DiveDeepDog View Post
    This thread is a little distracted
    Back to the op , anyone bought and stayed with the MainlyTannoy crossovers? I’ve just got gold Chatsworth’s, would like to keep original, but the idea of upgrade is strong. Torn between refreshed original or his v3 board with original inductors??
    Just don't assume that an alternative crossover is necessarily an upgrade. Remember, Tannoy spent thirty or so years on crossover development with the alnico magnet models from Red and Gold to HPD, they are likely to have got the design well enough sorted.

That's not to say that a good control clean and capacitor replacement would do any harm though.

Also, hang onto the original crossovers. The drivers are likely to be worth significantly more if these are present.
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 14 of 25 FirstFirst ... 4121314151624 ... LastLast