+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: STOP the TECHIE 1200 Ringing !

I'm Simon.

Ok thanks. Just playing devils advocate, could the dynamat be added without stripping the existing rubber off first ?

I'm Ian.

I wouldnt. If the existing rubber is not in contact with the platter whats the point of putting on an energy absorber on top of it?
    Technics 1200 tweaked,Ianmac Bearing,DACT DIY Phono Pre, Belcanto CD-2, Engineered Switzerland DIY Renderer, Benchmark DAC2, Hypex NCore, ATC SCM40
    2nd system --Engineered Switzerland DIY streamer, Sony CDP11,Topping D50 DAC, Hypex NCore. Kef 1point2 speakers. Ianmac Filters

I'm Simon.

Fair enough.

I'm Ben.

Looks great Ian, thinking out loud is the Technics platter balanced?

I'm Ian.

I did try to balance my platters using old technology and failed. I need to make two knife edge bearings or similar very low friction bearings and rotate the platter in a vertical position on a rigid structure that will accept a 12" diameter. I cannot access anything like that due to lock down plus its not something one can do easily at home.
    I have looked on the net and there does appear to be DIY electronic methods of measuring dynamic balance.
    https://apps.apple.com/us/app/vibrat...is/id817385888
    Im not a software expert but I do have (though rarely use) an iphone.

This could be used for any platter so any experts on the forum that could help?
    Ill do a general post
    Ian
    Technics 1200 tweaked,Ianmac Bearing,DACT DIY Phono Pre, Belcanto CD-2, Engineered Switzerland DIY Renderer, Benchmark DAC2, Hypex NCore, ATC SCM40
    2nd system --Engineered Switzerland DIY streamer, Sony CDP11,Topping D50 DAC, Hypex NCore. Kef 1point2 speakers. Ianmac Filters

I'm Jacek.

But if you place phone on a platter you will actually create imbalance, and I guess platters own imbalance will be much lower then that.

Ahh, ok, phone needs to be placed on chassis, not on a platter itself. Nut sure if normal speed of a platter will be enough to pick it but I could try.

Not an IPhone, but I have placed it on a chassis. I can hardly see (or don't see) any difference between spinning and stopped platter. But I can easily observe knocking on the floor. So I guess for me better is to invest in some sort of improved suspension for turntable.

I guess speed must be much faster then 45 rpm to detect it with a phone.

Any way I already bought used platter for around 20USD and I'm going to dump it same way with some Dynamat or similar.
    Last edited by Bacek; 16-06-2020 at 14:13.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123