+ Reply to Thread
Page 13 of 13 FirstFirst ... 3111213

Thread: Love or hate speaker cabinets I made for Tannoy MG 15's

I'm Dennis.

I'm not at all clear about what any questioning or dilemma might be here on design decisions; what is the desired objective?

Drinking straws are useful as an after-thought, an amelioration a too high a Q alignment, using laminar frictional air losses against the increased surface area they provide, but a correctly designed system should not require any such, and this also applies to internal box damping.

Whilst a certain amount of internal wadding is required for preventing the reflection of mid range frequency energy around the inside, and ultimately out of the port, damping of the fundamental bass reflex resonance should not be necessary.

A definite 'path' for the high air velocity bass resonance energy should be present in the middle of the outer wall wadding.

I'm Denzil.

Matt and Macca !!! And everyone else watching this thread.

This is one of the most embarrassing moments of my life. I wasn't sure if I should just dig a hole and disappear or tell everyone the truth.

First the excuses. I worked for more than half a day with taking 143 kg speakers apart and putting them together again. When I finished it was late at night, actually early morning and I was exhausted ! Then I turned on everything to listen and was horrified to hear what it sounded like.

Today, I went to check everything and found one banan plug of the left speaker had somehow come off. My listening space is around 18 ft from the speakers so it's not as easy to tell from that distance.

I just fired up everything again and it sounds brilliant !!!

I will listen properly and give a full report but for now :

I needed to get this off my chest !!!

Denzil
    https://www.instagram.com/elsewheregoa

I'm matt.

Quote Originally Posted by Denzil View Post
    Matt and Macca !!! And everyone else watching this thread.

This is one of the most embarrassing moments of my life. I wasn't sure if I should just dig a hole and disappear or tell everyone the truth.

First the excuses. I worked for more than half a day with taking 143 kg speakers apart and putting them together again. When I finished it was late at night, actually early morning and I was exhausted ! Then I turned on everything to listen and was horrified to hear what it sounded like.

Today, I went to check everything and found one banan plug of the left speaker had somehow come off. My listening space is around 18 ft from the speakers so it's not as easy to tell from that distance.

I just fired up everything again and it sounds brilliant !!!

I will listen properly and give a full report but for now :

I needed to get this off my chest !!!

Denzil
    Lol!

We've all done it (or something similar)

I'm Martin.

I know I have.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm Denzil.

You are both very kind, Matt and Macca. And have been extremely helpful.

I'll listen to the speakers for a couple of days and let you know what I think has changed.

Thanks again !

Denzil
    https://www.instagram.com/elsewheregoa

I'm Edward.

Hi Denzil,

Interested in hearing from you and where you landed up with your uber Tannoy project. Moksha achieved?

I dream of transplanting a pair of 385 HPDs into similar cabs you created.

E
    Current: [P20] Roon/Tidal > Custom PC> Chevron Paradox NDF16 > Phast Pre > Neuro. 686 > Tannoy Berkley (RFC tweaks)

I'm brian.

Hope that leopard s not eaten him. Amazing project !

I'm Rob.

Just looking back at the pics at the start of this thread and thinking.....wouldn't it be lovely to be able to swap my freezing garage for the "workshop" facility that Denzil has in Goa. I am trying to clean up and rejuvenate some old heatsinks for a new amp project. Spraying paint at -2 degrees and getting it to cure is....err...not easy, even with a 400w halogen work lamp right on top of them.

I suspect that quite a lot of perspiration was made during the wood cutting carried out for the Tannoy's, but that has got to be preferable to what we have at the moment. Ugh, oh yeah I just remembered....no travelling abroad at the moment!
    Buy Bose...And get your parking validated!.

https://youtu.be/ZCBe7-6rw4M

No Highs...No Lows....It Must Be Bose!

I'm Josie.

Hi Denzil.

Wow.. The cabinets look amazing. Really well made.

The workers are extremely skilled. I can't fault the workmanship.

I have a blog you may be interested in regarding the Monitor Golds and cabinets, etc.

www.tannoyista.com
    Ultrafide U500DC power amplifier - Croft Vitale )highly modified) - TRIO L-07D Turntable - Denon DL103C1 - Funk Firm Houdini - Lentek MC head amp - 15" Tannoy Monitor Gold Loudspeakers in Lockwood Major cabinets (From Trident Studios) - Tannoyista SPEC 3 Custom Crossovers - VanDamme Black Speaker Cable

Tannoyista.com

Facebook

+ Reply to Thread
Page 13 of 13 FirstFirst ... 3111213