+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 13 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Love or hate speaker cabinets I made for Tannoy MG 15's

I'm Denzil.

Quote Originally Posted by fatmarley View Post
    It's well worth experimenting, but it's very difficult to know what's going on without modelling and measuring, as well as listening.

Here's a graph showing the Monitor Gold 15 in a 172ltr ported enclosure. The grey line is with 3 ports 3" diameter x 5" long, the black line is with 2 ports. As you can see you lose a bit in the all important 60hz to 100hz region when you block a port.

Here's the 172ltr enclosure again with the 3 ports (grey line again), The Black line is 116ltr but with only two ports (if you don't block a port the peak just moves up in frequency). You still have the all important 60hz to 200hz but that nasty peak at 40hz is gone.

I can also model aperiodic, but It's only really any good for a high Q driver in a sealed enclosure that needs the bass peak reducing.
    Thanks, that's very interesting. My cabinets are 255 ltrs (net) minus the cones/cage, braces ports. The three ports are 4 inches in diameter and 10.5 inches long. According to my calculations, that's tuned to 29 Hz. However what confusions the Aperiodic shelf has caused is unknown to me until I experiment further. Apparently Aperiodic enclosures can't be ported and tuned. They just need a large shallow vent. I sadly have no measuring equipment.

Denzil
    https://www.instagram.com/elsewheregoa

I'm matt.

Quote Originally Posted by Denzil View Post
    Thanks, that's very interesting. My cabinets are 255 ltrs (net) minus the cones/cage, braces ports. The three ports are 4 inches in diameter and 10.5 inches long. According to my calculations, that's tuned to 29 Hz. However what confusions the Aperiodic shelf has caused is unknown to me until I experiment further. Apparently Aperiodic enclosures can't be ported and tuned. They just need a large shallow vent. I sadly have no measuring equipment.

Denzil
    Yes, that what my software says too (29hz).

Just so you know, my aperiodic simulation was just a ported box but with a very leaky enclosure. I can't simulate what will happen when you put an aperiodic vent in between the driver and ports.

I'm Rob.

Outstanding! They look superb.

I built some back loaded horn cabs years ago which took either a Fostex full range or Lowther PM6C. A very complicated build with loads of internal bits. I built them out of Birch Ply. My local timber yard were happy to cut all the bits to size from the plans which arrived mostly to spec. Once built they weighed 140lbs and I had to lift them myself of the bench....many times. Took about 6 weeks of evenings and weekends. Hard work, but very satisfying to have made something yourself.....and they didn't look too shit either
    Buy Bose...And get your parking validated!.

https://youtu.be/ZCBe7-6rw4M

No Highs...No Lows....It Must Be Bose!

I'm Denzil.

Yes, that what my software says too (29hz).

Just so you know, my aperiodic simulation was just a ported box but with a very leaky enclosure. I can't simulate what will happen when you put an aperiodic vent in between the driver and ports.
    Thanks again. You are so kind. So, since this is really a kind of hybrid which I have made it appears that there is no proper way of simulating an exact graph. And the only way is for me to conduct the experiments which you have suggested and which I had planned to do. In due course I'll also see if I can find someone locally who has measuring equipment. In the meanwhile, do you know of anyone or any manufacturer who has tuned, ported aperiodic cabinets ?

I'm Denzil.

Quote Originally Posted by Puffin View Post
    Outstanding! They look superb.

I built some back loaded horn cabs years ago which took either a Fostex full range or Lowther PM6C. A very complicated build with loads of internal bits. I built them out of Birch Ply. My local timber yard were happy to cut all the bits to size from the plans which arrived mostly to spec. Once built they weighed 140lbs and I had to lift them myself of the bench....many times. Took about 6 weeks of evenings and weekends. Hard work, but very satisfying to have made something yourself.....and they didn't look too shit either
    That's amazing ! I wasn't brave enough to build back loaded horns. There have been some who have built Westminster Royal copy cabinets for their MG 15's. They are very complex and if they are made of solid wood, would be impossible to move !!! Would love to see photos of the cabinets you built

I'm matt.

In the meanwhile, do you know of anyone or any manufacturer who has tuned, ported aperiodic cabinets ?
    No I don't I'm afraid. It's a quite an unusual design.

When you design a speaker you model the low frequency response before you build the cabinets, and then design the crossover. If someone gave me my own diy speaker drivers with crossovers, but no enclosure details, It would be incredibly difficult to for me to design the correct enclosure for them. It's so much easier to adjust the frequency response of the crossover, rather than make lots of different cabinets. I realise Tannoy are a bit different because there are official plans out there endorsed by Tannoy, but it still seems a bit hit-and-miss.

I'm Denzil.

No I don't I'm afraid. It's a quite an unusual design.

When you design a speaker you model the low frequency response before you build the cabinets, and then design the crossover. If someone gave me my own diy speaker drivers with crossovers, but no enclosure details, It would be incredibly difficult to for me to design the correct enclosure for them. It's so much easier to adjust the frequency response of the crossover, rather than make lots of different cabinets. I realise Tannoy are a bit different because there are official plans out there endorsed by Tannoy, but it still seems a bit hit-and-miss.
    Yes, I understand. Thanks again for all your help Matt ! Whenever Covid 19 permits, I'll open the cabinets and start experimenting. Will keep you posted.

Kind regards,

Denzil

I'm matt.

Yes, I understand. Thanks again for all your help Matt ! Whenever Covid 19 permits, I'll open the cabinets and start experimenting. Will keep you posted.

Kind regards,

Denzil
    Yes, please keep us posted. It will be interesting to see how you get on. Can't remember if I said it before, but they look like they're fresh out of the Tannoy factory - Stunning!

I'm Steve.

Excellent job, they look very impressive.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm Rob.

That's amazing ! I wasn't brave enough to build back loaded horns. There have been some who have built Westminster Royal copy cabinets for their MG 15's. They are very complex and if they are made of solid wood, would be impossible to move !!! Would love to see photos of the cabinets you built
    There was a member on here some years ago who lived in Brighton who built Tannoy Autographs. Superb build.

https://theartofsound.net/forum/show...Y+Westminsters

Here is a pic of my horns.

Buy Bose...And get your parking validated!.

https://youtu.be/ZCBe7-6rw4M

No Highs...No Lows....It Must Be Bose!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 13 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast