+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Love or hate speaker cabinets I made for Tannoy MG 15's

I'm Adam.

Nice looking speakers !!
    What’s the volume size of the cabinet ?
    "lack of passion is fatal"

Vinyl: Thorens TD-124mk2 / SME-312 Aluminium 'special' / SME M2-9R / STEREO: Etsuro Urushi Cobalt / Shure M3D / Ortofon SPU A95 / Cartridge Man Music Master / Shure - SC35C (US) / SAEC C3 MC MONO: Miyajima Zero B 0.7mil mono / Miyajima Premium 1.0 / Amps & SUTs: Radford STA25 mk3 / AD Audio 'Satchmo2' pre & LCR phono / Hashimoto HM-7 SUT / ETR-MONO SUT Digital: Audio Note 4.1 (with DAC5 upgrades) DAC / Roon / Tidal Speakers: Tannoy 12" MGs' in RFC custom 'Rutland' Cabinets with RFC crossovers / Tannoy ST-100 Super Tweeters Cables: LFD Grainless phono / RFC Mercury / Duelund DCA16GA tinned copper / Kimber 12TC / SW1X Audio Design USB-SPdif / Duelund DCA20GA interconnects / SW1X Audio SPDIF Aero 6 / Mains Power Conditioner / Box Furniture rack / Audiodesk Systeme Vinyl Cleaner / a very beautiful & understanding Wife!

I'm Denzil.

https://www.instagram.com/elsewheregoa

I'm Denzil.

Quote Originally Posted by WESTLOWER View Post
    Nice looking speakers !!
    What’s the volume size of the cabinet ?
    Volume is 155 ltrs (net) excluding bracing, speaker cone and cage, ports etc. Total is around 165 ltrs.

I'm Denzil.

Quote Originally Posted by RMutt View Post
    Amazing. They are a work of art. I love that level of handmadeness! I can only imagine that they sound great too.
    Thank you. That's a huge complement ! They sound magnificent. Much better than the Lancaster cabinets.

I'm Graham.

Great job Denzil , they look gorgeous.

I'm Paul.

Stunning work, sir.

To a ham-fisted idiot like me living in the urban jungle - ie, no garden, no garage, three flights up - your handiwork is something I can only dream about.

The way you blended the cloth from the grille into the cabinet with that glorious retro logo .. it's simply gorgeous.

Beautiful stuff
    Linn Sondek LP12, Ittok, AT-F7
    Schiit Mani MK1 Phono Pre-Amp
    Nobsound NS-08P Bluetooth pre-amp
    Marantz CD5004 CD Player
    Pure DAB tuner
    2 x Meridian 205 monoblock power amps
    Tannoy T225 "Mayfair" speakers
    www.paulridgeblog.com

I'm Charlie.

Denzil,
    I love the speakers, but I love your family resort even more - truly beautiful and an enduring part of your family's history.
    Charlie
    R2R: Studer A820 1/2 inch 2 track; Otari MTR-12 1/4 inch 2 track; Sony APR 5003; Sony APR 5002; Studer A807/II. Vinyl: Platine Verdier Allaerts MC1B/Schroeder Reference & Model 2 Decca C4E/Hadcock 228 TRON Seven Reference phono. Keith Monks MkII RCM Other analogue source: Nakamichi Dragon with ANT4066 mods. Amplification: TRON Meteor preamp TRON Voyager 20B SET power. Speakers: Avantgarde Duo. Digital: computing at last with Prism Sound Lyra 2 A2D converter

I'm Dennis.

This work exemplifies just how an individual as opposed to a mass producing company can pay much attention to the build quality of the cabinet and its damping. It would be prohibitively expensive for a company, and it also allows individual aesthetic choice.

I'm Mike.

Lovely, nice choice of cloth. Nice doggies too.
    Current system 1210 GR. CDP - Meridian G08. Amp -Sugden A21I - Sig. Wharfedale Lintons.

I'm matt.

Quote Originally Posted by Denzil View Post
    Thanks ! They sound magnificent. Tent to be slightly bass heavy but not boomy. But I'm working on that. Many because of room acustics, I think.
    If you block one of the ports it will lower the tuning frequency (stuff something in tight, like some socks). I modelled the 15" Monitor gold in your enclosure and it looks like you will get either a large peak at the tuning frequency, or a dip in the midbass area. It's impossible to know without measurements. If you stuff a port (or two) and find the bass heavy sound is gone then all is good, but if you find you also lose midbass then the enclosure is too big.

I'd also experiment with removing the material on the shelf. For ports to work efficiently, you want a free passage from the driver to the ports. Another thing I'd do is lightly fill the whole section below the ports to reduce standing waves (assuming you can). Polyester stuffing would do the job.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast