+ Reply to Thread
Page 12 of 13 FirstFirst ... 210111213 LastLast

Thread: Love or hate speaker cabinets I made for Tannoy MG 15's

I'm Denzil.

Quote Originally Posted by Puffin View Post
    What an interesting thread this is. Hat off to you Denzil for all the work you are putting in to tune them. Just think of the muscle mass you will be gaining in the process
    Hahaha, yes ! I'm puffin all the way
    https://www.instagram.com/elsewheregoa

I'm Denzil.

Quote Originally Posted by fatmarley View Post
    The glass wool in the bottom will reduce standing waves, and should reduce the boomy sound you often get with ported speakers. I've always preferred it with the speakers I've built (cleaner lows), but your Tannoys are tuned a lot lower than the speakers I've built in the past, and maybe that makes a difference. I really don't know.

There are studies that have been done with enclosure stuffing, but it's still a bit of a black art.

Sorry I don't know what the felt specs are that Lockwood used.
    Yes Matt,

I do believe the boom has reduced, which is great ! So I'm going to keep the rock wool in the lower section once I put the aperiodic shelf back.

Denzil

I'm Denzil.

Quote Originally Posted by fatmarley View Post
    If the ports are actually working like conventional ports at the moment (when the aperiodic shelf is in place). Reducing the port length will raise the tuning frequency. Even if there's just a hole in the enclosure it will act like a port. I know this as a fact, not just because of theory, but because I removed my ports once and all it did was raise the tuning frequency. But maybe they aren't working like that with the aperiodic shelf in place?

I'd be interested to know what they sound like with the port lengths reduced, but combined with the aperiodic shelf removed too.
    Yes, I know that reducing port length will raise the tuning frequency. My gut feeling is that the ports are not really working as tuned ports with the aperiodic shelf in place. I think ports need a certain velocity, speed of air in order to work as tuned ports. With the aperiodic shelf the velocity will be reduced considerably and they will probably only act as vents.

Denzil

I'm Denzil.

Quote Originally Posted by Macca View Post
    Rather than shorten the ports try removing them altogether just leaving the holes, this will give a vent for the aperiodic loading to work with.

The stuffing is unlikely to have any effect on bass frequencies but you might as well leave it on the bottom there, won't do any harm.
    Yes Macca, there's no point in having any length of port in a aperiodic cabinet. However the Tannoy York aperiodic shelf cabinets did have a shallow port which may only have been there for aesthetics. I will eventually remove the ports. Because they also reduce the volume of the cabinet unnecessarily. But I need help to remove the ports and with social distancing, that will have to wait.

I'm going to leave the rock wool in the lower section because I do believe it's reducing the boom.

Thanks,

Denzil

I'm Geoff.

You could experiment with temporarily blocking the ports. Some speakers work well with sealed boxes. You'd get a slower bass roll-off and possibly more extended bass at the cost of reflex reinforcement. If you can locate plastic document mailing tube stoppers the right size, try those. They can always be BluTacked in place.
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm Denzil.

Quote Originally Posted by walpurgis View Post
    You could experiment with temporarily blocking the ports. Some speakers work well with sealed boxes. You'd get a slower bass roll-off and possibly more extended bass at the cost of reflex reinforcement. If you can locate plastic document mailing tube stoppers the right size, try those. They can always be BluTacked in place.
    I tried doing that, right in the beginning Geoff, blocked all three, two and one port. Nothing sounded right. The bass reduce considerably and the speakers sounded shallow, no depth.

Denzil

I'm Geoff.

Ah well. That could be because the drivers have a fair degree of self damping (powerful magnets and stiffish cone surrounds). I'm wondering if a resistive port might offer something? Goodmans did an ARU that worked that way, but for 12 inch drivers as I recall.
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm Denzil.

Ah well. That could be because the drivers have a fair degree of self damping (powerful magnets and stiffish cone surrounds). I'm wondering if a resistive port might offer something? Goodmans did an ARU that worked that way, but for 12 inch drivers as I recall.
    Yes Geoff, it's called an aperiodic port. In the case of Tannoy, they used a aperiodic shelf (with a resistive felt sheet on the shelf), which I had put in and then taken off. That's the topic of this disconnection which you may not have realised because of what we are calling it "aperiodic shelf)

Regards,

Denzil

I'm Grant.

Used to be called variovents
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Rob.

Reducing the air flow with drinking straws has been said to work quite well.
    Buy Bose...And get your parking validated!.

https://youtu.be/ZCBe7-6rw4M

No Highs...No Lows....It Must Be Bose!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 12 of 13 FirstFirst ... 210111213 LastLast