+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 13 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Love or hate speaker cabinets I made for Tannoy MG 15's

I'm Denzil.

Default Love or hate speaker cabinets I made for Tannoy MG 15's

Hi,

I inherited MG 15's in sealed Lanchester cabinets. And just made these cabinets at home, working with brilliant traditional carpenters. One inch solid Teak wood cladding on one inch birch ply with half inch sound damping and 2.5 inches of rock wool. Aperiodic shelf, like the old Lockwood cabinets but with ports tuned to 29 Hz (highly controversial design)
    Five feet tall, 143 kgs each.

We started with a log of teak wood

And birch ply

The shelf you see at the bottom is also a window pane brace but the cut outs weren't yet cut out when the photo was taken.

Working with teak wood is a joy

calf toning exercises

do push ups work your abs

short vs long term goals

Let me know what you think !

Happy to answer questions.

Regards,

Denzil
    Last edited by Denzil; 22-05-2020 at 19:44.
    https://www.instagram.com/elsewheregoa

I'm Geoff.

They look really well made. An improvement over the Lancaster boxes I'm sure. You did a good job with the bracing 'shelves'.
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm Gordon.

Blimey..... you get a whole load of teak veneer from a baulk of timber that size!!!! LOL.

Seriously, what a pleasure to see cabinets made with REAL timber to such a level of quality. I sincerely hope they sound as good as they look.

Well done, beautiful job. . .
    Technics SL1000R, DynavectorXV1t, Garrard 401, Jelco SA750LB, Decca Reference, ATVM750SH, AT33Mono, Hana Umami Red, Reimyo CDP777, EarYoshino 912, Ear Yoshino 509s, JBLK2 SL5800s, ART Dram interconnects / speaker cables.

I'm sorted.

Excellent! Thanks for sharing.

I'm Geoff.

Beautiful cabinets! I hope you will plant a few teak trees to replace those used.

I'm Denzil.

I'm a serious conservationists. Have been working on environmental issues for many years. And now concreting on the protection of marine turtle nesting beaches, one such beach happens to be my property. The teak I got was obtained from teak plantations. Wild teak is not logged anymore (thankfully). The Instagram link in my signature (below) will show you what I do.

I'm Denzil.

Quote Originally Posted by walpurgis View Post
    They look really well made. An improvement over the Lancaster boxes I'm sure. You did a good job with the bracing 'shelves'.
    Thanks !

I'm Denzil.

Thanks ! They sound magnificent. Tent to be slightly bass heavy but not boomy. But I'm working on that. Many because of room acustics, I think.

I'm Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by Denzil View Post
    I'm a serious conservationists. Have been working on environmental issues for many years. And now concreting on the protection of marine turtle nesting beaches, one such beach happens to be my property. The teak I got was obtained from teak plantations. Wild teak is not logged anymore (thankfully). The Instagram link in my signature (below) will show you what I do.
    Well done. Teak is a great wood and, as you know, no problem in using it so long as it is from sustainable sources. It is a luxury though to be able to use solid wood rather than just veneers. I wouldn't like to think how much those "slabs" would cost in the UK!

I'm Andrew.

Amazing. They are a work of art. I love that level of handmadeness! I can only imagine that they sound great too.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 13 12311 ... LastLast