+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Zigmahornets!!

I'm Chris.

Default Zigmahornets!!

http://www.6moons.com/audioreviews/z...gmahornet.html

Some Lockdown/Camping reading?
    Just after I retired, I decided to build these….but,I have few tools.
    I got the wood cut to size BUT…they need corner jointing! Had a quote from woodworker -£120!
    You MUST be joking!For a few edges?
    So, I stood back a while.
    Then I recalled Wharfedale making speakers from Formica clad polystyrene!
    Had some 4cm polystyrene cut to size; used PVA to ‘size’ the outside; lined the inside with heavy-duty foil wrapping paper
    And glued it all together. A revelation to me, after years of -first Klipsch, then A-garde Duos, -was the sound. Such imagery, plus they had bass!
    They sit as desk-side units by the iMac, using a Kingrex usb amp from lossless downloads in the Mac. They were SO impressive, they persuaded me to swap the Duos for the Calliopes (both full-range; Zigs and Ocellias).

Argh! sideways pic! Sorry!
    The chair is from Algarve - arab influence? cushion a Camel-bag. Sagrada Familia screensaver.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Chris.

I'm matt.

Cool! Surprised they don't fall over, they must be very light. What's driver is it?

My current speakers are made out of foam-core tile backing board. If it wasn't for the very heavy drivers (10" midbass with a huge magnet), you could easily pick up a cabinet with one finger.

I'm Rob.

I built a pair of Ziggies out of ply years ago using small Fostex full range units. Amazing sound for such a simple build.
    Buy Bose...And get your parking validated!.

https://youtu.be/ZCBe7-6rw4M

No Highs...No Lows....It Must Be Bose!

I'm Chris.

Matt; they are Dave Merrill drivers, that I got just before he took ill and then died-as in the article.
    i think they are still made, now with a nice cast frame.
    I use a pair of terracotta tiles as the base, or they WOULD fall over!
    In fact, I made PAWO side-horns from Merrill 4 inchers too, but THEY did fall over.....straight on to the (projecting!!) bullet centre of the unit, which broke the speaker cone!
    Anyone need a single 4 inch Merrill unit?
    Chris.

I'm matt.

Quote Originally Posted by hornucopia View Post
    Matt; they are Dave Merrill drivers, that I got just before he took ill and then died-as in the article.
    i think they are still made, now with a nice cast frame.
    I use a pair of terracotta tiles as the base, or they WOULD fall over!
    In fact, I made PAWO side-horns from Merrill 4 inchers too, but THEY did fall over.....straight on to the (projecting!!) bullet centre of the unit, which broke the speaker cone!
    Anyone need a single 4 inch Merrill unit?
    Oh, I didn't read the article - I avoid 6moons stuff because they usually waffle on and my attention span is too short for that - but I just had a quick look and that one looks quite short. Will have a read in a bit...

Sorry to hear about your speaker accident. I was thinking about getting a piece of granite for the base of mine. Just haven't seen anything cheap enough or big enough online, and the virus has put me off even thinking about looking locally.

I'm Tony.

I believe the term you are looking Matt is 6 loons, having met our friend S on a couple of occasions he has some very unique views lol
    Coherent Systems
    Real high end sound with musicality not hifi

I'm matt.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. C View Post
    I believe the term you are looking Matt is 6 loons, having met our friend S on a couple of occasions he has some very unique views lol
    6 loons lol

I'm Chris.

Should be in inland Spain or Portugal! I got some 'off-cuts' of marble there a couple of times -free! Otherwise, find a stone mason yard?
    Terracotta tiles are usually cheap also. Think laterally-off cut of kitchen surface?
    Chris.

I'm matt.

Should be in inland Spain or Portugal! I got some 'off-cuts' of marble there a couple of times -free! Otherwise, find a stone mason yard?
    Terracotta tiles are usually cheap also. Think laterally-off cut of kitchen surface?
    Hmm, never thought about tiles. The're quite heavy for their size - especially if you double / triple them up...

I'm Adrian.

http://www.6moons.com/audioreviews/z...gmahornet.html

Some Lockdown/Camping reading?
    Just after I retired, I decided to build these….but,I have few tools.
    I got the wood cut to size BUT…they need corner jointing! Had a quote from woodworker -£120!
    You MUST be joking!For a few edges?
    So, I stood back a while.
    Then I recalled Wharfedale making speakers from Formica clad polystyrene!
    Had some 4cm polystyrene cut to size; used PVA to ‘size’ the outside; lined the inside with heavy-duty foil wrapping paper
    And glued it all together. A revelation to me, after years of -first Klipsch, then A-garde Duos, -was the sound. Such imagery, plus they had bass!
    They sit as desk-side units by the iMac, using a Kingrex usb amp from lossless downloads in the Mac. They were SO impressive, they persuaded me to swap the Duos for the Calliopes (both full-range; Zigs and Ocellias).

Argh! sideways pic! Sorry!
    The chair is from Algarve - arab influence? cushion a Camel-bag. Sagrada Familia screensaver.
    These are amazing speakers, I heard them when I visited Chris.
    Listening is the act of aural discrimination and dissemination of sound, and accepting you get it wrong sometimes.

Analog Inputs: Pro-Ject Signature 10 TT & arm, Benz Micro LP-S, Michel Cusis MC, Goldring 2500 and Ortofon Rondo Blue cartridges, Hitachi FT5500 mk2 Tuner

Digital:- Marantz SA-KI Pearl CD player, RaspberryPi/HifiBerry Digi+ Pro, Buffalo NAS Drive

Amplification:- AudioValve Sunilda phono stage, Krell KSP-7B pre-amp, Krell KSA-80 power amp

Output: Wilson Benesch Vector speakers, KLH Ultimate One Headphones

Cables: Tellurium Q Ultra Black II RCA & Chord Epic 2 RCA, various speaker leads, & links

I think I am nearing audio nirvana, but don’t tell anyone.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast