+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: Clone or Knock off??

I'm Shaun.

Quote Originally Posted by paulf-2007 View Post
    even Gibson guitars sell say a '59 reissue. It might look like a '59, it might have similar hardware but the timber will not compare, years ago the Japanese bought the best timber and were making better quality guitars than the Americans, it irritates me when I see a '59 les Paul for sale and then find out it's a reissue and not the genuine article even though it's made by a company with the name Gibson, ok the same company but not the same craftsmen and materials
    Yes Paul, gotta agree with you.

I'm Adam.

Quote Originally Posted by Macca View Post
    That explains why I never saw it then. The real thing does have the Dartzeel name in black font at the top centre of the fascia and this doesn't. The little plate on the real one seems to say something about 'Sensi Masters' or something.

So you are saying that AoS shouldn't be hosting sale of counterfeits? Seems reasonable. I will consult.
    I would have thought that not hosting the sale of counterfeits was page 1 ?

I'm not saying you should or shouldn't do anything, i'm just a little surprised people have thrown up insignificant obstacles in detail
    in justifying the existence of such an obviously dubious product..
    "lack of passion is fatal"

Vinyl: Thorens TD-124mk2 / SME-312 Aluminium 'special' / SME M2-9R / STEREO: Etsuro Urushi Cobalt / Shure M3D / Ortofon SPU A95 / Cartridge Man Music Master / Shure - SC35C (US) / SAEC C3 MC MONO: Miyajima Zero B 0.7mil mono / Miyajima Premium 1.0 / Amps & SUTs: Radford STA25 mk3 / AD Audio 'Satchmo2' pre & LCR phono / Hashimoto HM-7 SUT / ETR-MONO SUT Digital: Audio Note 4.1 (with DAC5 upgrades) DAC / Roon / Tidal Speakers: Tannoy 12" MGs' in RFC custom 'Rutland' Cabinets with RFC crossovers / Tannoy ST-100 Super Tweeters Cables: LFD Grainless phono / RFC Mercury / Duelund DCA16GA tinned copper / Kimber 12TC / SW1X Audio Design USB-SPdif / Duelund DCA20GA interconnects / SW1X Audio SPDIF Aero 6 / Mains Power Conditioner / Box Furniture rack / Audiodesk Systeme Vinyl Cleaner / a very beautiful & understanding Wife!

I'm Martin.

Quote Originally Posted by WESTLOWER View Post
    I would have thought that not hosting the sale of counterfeits was page 1 ?

I'm not saying you should or shouldn't do anything, i'm just a little surprised people have thrown up insignificant obstacles in detail
    in justifying the existence of such an obviously dubious product..
    Well it's a bad counterfeit and it isn't being sold as the real thing. And I didn't think it had the name on until you pointed it out. Anyway matter's been raised, it's not up to me.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm Dennis.

Surely the issue is whether or not there is an attempt to deceive.

I'm joe.

It's a good idea for a daytime TV show: 'Clone or Knock-off: You Decide'. There's shedloads of out-or-work actors who'd jump at the chance of hosting that, and a captive audience of millions.

I'm David.

I don't think the seller has tried to deceive anyone, I'm sure many of us have seen the ad on ebay selling these from China.
    Last edited by antonio; 23-05-2020 at 17:06.

I'm Martin.

Quote Originally Posted by Joe View Post
    It's a good idea for a daytime TV show: 'Clone or Knock-off: You Decide'. There's shedloads of out-or-work actors who'd jump at the chance of hosting that, and a captive audience of millions.
    Needs a better title:

'Rip Off or Real?' 'Real or No Real?'. 'Kosher or Clone?' 'Ringer or Real?'

That's enough titles now.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm joe.

'Fact, or foo?' Robert Kilroy-Silk invites his guest celebrities to decide whether putting spikes under hifi has any effect, or if it's all in the mind. This week, Vanessa Feltz isolates her conrad-johnson, with surprising results.

I'm Frank.

Krell? Or fell off the back of a lorry?

Do you think it's something new? It's what the Japanese/Chinese do. The clone gene must be less recessive in them. They've been at it for decades. The only difference now is that once there was only their home market. The Japanese have always had a audiophile community which always regarded UK hi-fi. In the 60s they wanted Garrard 301s. They couldn't get them - so they made copies. The difference now is that the Chinese have a world market for copies.

And it's not necessarily a cheap option. Today I've been looking at amplifier cases. I was looking at a pair of McIntosh copies. $500 + $200 carriage.

It's hardly surprising it happens when the original item is getting made there. And they're not daft enough to put a genuine name on the front panel as that would be counterfeiting. An AC Cobre clone might have the name on it, but it's not going to be registered as a genuine AC in the logbook.

If the origins are stated when something is being sold, then people are free to make up their own mind. The problem arises when something is made out to be something it's not. That's fraud.

Sent from my K3 using Tapatalk

I'm Frank.

Might add. There ARE some Chinese-made items that are counterfeit and sold to be genuine (I'm not talking about components). Line Magnetic (a genuine Chinese manufacturer of some quality hi-fi) products can be had on AliExpress and elsewhere. These are not genuine registered dealers, and as such, the products they offer aren't genuine Line Magnetic. When they fail, as quite often will be the case, and get sent to LM for repair, they get confiscated and scrapped and the buyer is out of pocket.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast