+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Measuring speaker output

I'm Chris.

Default Measuring speaker output

I have looked into this a little and have settled on the Minidsp microphone (approx £100) and REW software (free). The microphone plugs directly into the USB port of a computer so no need for additional boxes.

But, one question still troubles me "what is the microphone listening to?" cant be the sound of silence
    Source
    SW1X Universal Music Server UMS I Signature with Power Supply Unit PSU I Signature
    SW1X USB II
    SW1X DAC III Special
    Audiolab 6000 CDT transport
    Amps
    Pre amps -- Hi fi Collective twin mono ladder stepped attenuator, with Charcroft Z-foil and silver wired. And First Watt B1 active no gain buffer.
    Power amps -- Welborne 45 SET monoblocks 1.8W / Decware Taboo 6W / Elekit 300B TU-8600SVK plus further improved components 9W / ICE Power 1000W
    Speakers
    Highly modified Endorphin P17 open baffle speakers containing both vintage and modern alnico drivers and paper cones. All silver wired - 8" Cube Audio FC8 full range drivers and vintage 15" Altec VOTT 416 bass drivers. All sat on Townsend Audio Podium seismic isolation platforms.
    BK Electronics XLS400FF Sub.
    Cabling
    Silver mains cables, interconnects and speaker cables by SW1X
    Headphones
    HRT HeadStreamer and SennHeiser HD650 headphones

I'm Martin.

You'll be wanting to use pink noise for testing, not Simon & Garfunkel
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm Chris.

So can you just burn a pink noise track onto a CD and pay that on your system?
    Source
    SW1X Universal Music Server UMS I Signature with Power Supply Unit PSU I Signature
    SW1X USB II
    SW1X DAC III Special
    Amps
    Pre amps -- Hi fi Collective twin mono ladder stepped attenuator, with Charcroft Z-foil and silver wired. And First Watt B1 active no gain buffer.
    Power amps -- Welborne 45 SET monoblocks 1.8W / Decware Taboo 6W / Elekit 300B TU-8600SVK plus further improved components 9W / ICE Power 1000W
    Speakers
    Highly modified Endorphin P17 open baffle speakers containing both vintage and modern alnico drivers and paper cones. All silver wired - 8" Cube Audio FC8 full range drivers and vintage 15" Altec VOTT 416 bass drivers. All sat on Townsend Audio Podium seismic isolation platforms.
    Cabling
    Headphones

I'm Martin.

I don't see why not.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm matt.

I'm Chris.

All looks good except they are mainly out of stock due to Covid and where they are still in stock the sellers have bumped up the price. I will wait it out.
    Source
    SW1X USB II
    SW1X DAC III Special
    Amps
    Speakers
    Cabling
    Headphones

I'm Tony.

For a basic speaker meas you can use a DMM, so at least you know the channels are balanced.

Otherwise a couple of you chaps could club together to purchase an audio RTA have seen them for around the £600 mark. This would give a suite of meas that would be helpful.

Ideally Rub and Buzz but that tends to be on the more expensive test equipment.
    Coherent Systems
    Real high end sound with musicality not hifi

I'm george.

i've got access to all sorts of kit through work, AudioPrecision, SoundCheck, etc.. and at home i use REW, it's pretty much perfect for home use and free.
    you can use a half decent soundcard to output the signal, pink noise, sine sweep etc, i use a Emu 0204 i picked up for peanuts.
    for acoustic measurements something like the mic you mention will be good, i use a similar style Earthworks mic (direct to USB) , but this is a bit overkill for most home use.
    for measuring amplifers, per amps etc, i use RMAA which is free also! i use the same soundcard and get very good results.
    there is a good article here https://audioxpress.com/article/prac...rements-part-3
    parts 1-7 are linked only from the part 1 page for some reason, but the article covers a lot of good stuff for home measurements,

and i'd highly recommend a cheap mic stand, as even small changes in position can show a surprising change in measured response

I'm Chris.

I did try experimenting with the microphone in my iPad and free software, but there is lots of low bass signal showing which is not present in reality. It seems to be listening to the room acoustics or to itself (internal goings on within the ipad).
    Last edited by bumpy; 29-05-2020 at 12:54.
    Source
    SW1X USB II
    SW1X DAC III Special
    Amps
    Speakers
    Cabling
    Headphones

I'm matt.

If you want to measure the speakers without including the room, you need to gate the reflections out of the measurement.

This calculator will show how low down in frequency you can measure before reflections will interfere with the results. The further you move your speakers away from boundaries, the lower in frequency you can measure (obviously outside, high off the ground is best).

https://mehlau.net/audio/floorbounce/

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast