+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Audio fact or foo

I'm Dennis.

Although under the right conditions it might sound warmer, aren't you concerned about colouration and fading?

I'm Martin.

Well my blacks aren't as black as they used to be.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm Frank.

When Stan Curtis was working for the original Cambridge Audio and making the P50 amps, he used to want to leave the wiring (there's quite a bit inside) in a mess, as it sounded best that way. His supervisor though, insisted that it was all made nice and tidy. Bundling tightly the wires obviously increased crosstalk between channels, but, that's the way it had to be done.

Sent from my K3 using Tapatalk

I'm Dennis.

What about scale Martin?

I'm Chris.

Quote Originally Posted by Columbo View Post
    When Stan Curtis was working for the original Cambridge Audio and making the P50 amps, he used to want to leave the wiring (there's quite a bit inside) in a mess, as it sounded best that way. His supervisor though, insisted that it was all made nice and tidy. Bundling tightly the wires obviously increased crosstalk between channels, but, that's the way it had to be done.

Totally logical, as you say the potential for signal wires to interact electrically (audible or not) greatly increases with 'bundling' of said wires.

Shame SQ is not the utter priority in that example and presumably many others!

Running my speaker cable away from 'any' other wire (power/signal/patch etc) always seems to make a small difference (could just be expectation bias of course . . . ).
    System 1: - Amp - Musical Paradise MP-701 mk2 - Neurochrome 686
    - Source: Audio Technica LP-5 - Custom 6V6 stage - Novafidelity X30 - Soekris 1421 (LPSU) - Custom TDA1541 C3G DAC -
    - Speakers: Martin Logan Prodigy's - Subs: - REL T3's -

System 2 - Amp: Musical Paradise MP 303/Custom 300B SET - Custom 6SL7 Pre -
    - Source: Pioneer N-30K - SONCOZ SGD1 -
    - Speakers: Loth X BS1's - Sub: REL T3 -

I'm Dennis.

I agree Chris.

In my apprenticeship we were taught to wire point to point in audio to minimise paths and undesired coupling.

A fellow apprentice asked me to build his ELL80 power amp for him, which I did, using alley screens and point to point.
    He took over and rebuilt it because he didn't like my approach, and then used boards, and when finished it had an 8MHz oscillation on it, subsequently asking me to do it again for him, which I declined. My reputation went on to become the humless amplifier man.

I'm Chris.

Quote Originally Posted by Pharos View Post
    My reputation went on to become the humless amplifier man.
    Certainly worse things to be nicknamed Dennis!

I'm not surprised you declined either. The cheek indeed.
    System 1: - Amp - Musical Paradise MP-701 mk2 - Neurochrome 686
    - Source: Audio Technica LP-5 - Custom 6V6 stage - Novafidelity X30 - Soekris 1421 (LPSU) - Custom TDA1541 C3G DAC -
    - Speakers: Martin Logan Prodigy's - Subs: - REL T3's -

System 2 - Amp: Musical Paradise MP 303/Custom 300B SET - Custom 6SL7 Pre -
    - Source: Pioneer N-30K - SONCOZ SGD1 -
    - Speakers: Loth X BS1's - Sub: REL T3 -

I'm joe.

Quote Originally Posted by Pharos View Post
    What about scale Martin?
    Which reminds me of the old joke:

Bloke: 'I've bought a model of Mount Everest'

Other Bloke: 'Is it to scale?'

Bloke: 'No, just to look at really'.

I'm openingabottleofwine.

Quote Originally Posted by Columbo View Post

How would one maintain a consistent 'mess' of untidy wiring? If you didn't, one unit could sound different from another.
    Barry

I'm Martin.

Quote Originally Posted by Barry View Post
    How would one maintain a consistent 'mess' of untidy wiring? If you didn't, one unit could sound different from another.
    I think the point is that it only looks a 'mess' to the untrained eye whereas in fact it's wired in such a way as to minimise hum and crosstalk.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast