+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Linn Akito arm - fitting new cartridge

I'm Brian.

Default Linn Akito arm - fitting new cartridge

I recognise that this may be a pretty elementary process for many of you! I’ve purchased an Audio Technica VM95EN for an Akito arm. I’ve never replaced a cartridge before, it looks simple but I don’t want to make any assumptions. Is there anything I should look out for? Or should I just get a dealer to do it? Any advice appreciated.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm Keith.

It's definitely something you can do yourself - but make sure you remove the arm from the TT before you attempt it. Leaving the arm in place is not only more difficult, but can strain the bearings. Once you've loosely secured the cartridge, drop the arm back in and make fine adjustments to the cartridge's position using the appropriate protractor. It's worth Googling all you can first, just to familiarise yourself with the process. It's like anything, it's daunting the first time, but straightforward afterwards.

I'm Brian.

Quote Originally Posted by vinylsnail View Post
    It's definitely something you can do yourself - but make sure you remove the arm from the TT before you attempt it. Leaving the arm in place is not only more difficult, but can strain the bearings. Once you've loosely secured the cartridge, drop the arm back in and make fine adjustments to the cartridge's position using the appropriate protractor. It's worth Googling all you can first, just to familiarise yourself with the process. It's like anything, it's daunting the first time, but straightforward afterwards.
    Many thanks, vinylsnail - I’ll be sure to do that.

I'm Pavel.

At least for the Ittok, Linn's recommended procedure was the opposite - namely, they recommended aligning the cartridge first, then removing the arm and tightening the cartridge screws.

I'm Brian.

Thanks for the input. It just so happens that my Karik CD blew up the day after I got the turntable - obviously didn’t like it’s analogue counterpart! Smoking from rear around the PSU area and strong smell. I might be in the market for another Linn player if I can’t get the PSU fixed/replaced.

I'm Brian.

Mission accomplished, and huge thanks to hifi_dave for sorting me out with a replacement cartridge wire/connector. Lifesaver, and much appreciated!

I'm givingyouaprettygoodclue.

Quote Originally Posted by BDD View Post
    Thanks for the input. It just so happens that my Karik CD blew up the day after I got the turntable - obviously didn’t like it’s analogue counterpart! Smoking from rear around the PSU area and strong smell. I might be in the market for another Linn player if I can’t get the PSU fixed/replaced.

Sorry to hear that. I often wonder what I'll do when my Karik gives up. I see that Class A in Sheffield have ceased repairing them due to lack of parts. Good luck!

Pete

+ Reply to Thread