+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Grease

I'm Michael.

Default Grease

Can someone help me please!
    Most tonearm counterweights are on a stub with a generous amount of grease (which I think helps to reduce „ringing“).
    Does anybody know which sort of grease can be used?

I'm jamie.

really? ive had a few tonearms in my time but never come across grease on the counter weight,what tonearm is it\?
    My System
    John Wood KT88 Amp.
    Paradise Phono Stage
    Sony TTS-8000 Turntable.
    PMAT-1010 MK6 Tonearm.
    Ortofon Cadenza Bronze
    Sony X555ES Cd Player
    Yamaha NS1000m Speakers

I'm Adam.

That’s a new one to me, too.
    Engineers: fixing problems you didn't know you had in ways you don't understand.

I'm Michael.

It‘s a Glanz MH 94s.
    The grease was also on the original tonearm of a Technics 1200G.
    I think it‘s there for lubrication of the counterweight when it is moved for downforce adjustment.

I'm Geoff.

I'd exercise caution. If the counterweight stub has rubber isolation, be careful what grease you apply. Some types of rubber may fall apart or turn into 'goo' with the wrong grease. I doubt if grease is necessary.
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm Dennis.

The amount of grease needed for lubrication is likely to be only very small. whereas the amount required for damping resonance is likely to be quite high. If the weight is screw fixed at the right distance it is unlikely that any damping would alter its behaviour.

If you must use any lubricant only traces are required to free a movement, but I have never heard of such a thing in this context, and as Geoff says, beware greases on rubber, but silicon may be a better bet.

I'm Gordon.

Quote Originally Posted by karma67 View Post
    really? ive had a few tonearms in my time but never come across grease on the counter weight,what tonearm is it\?
    Hi, I'd have agreed with this statement, but have never investigated closely until you asked the question.

I have two weights for my Jelco 12" and it appears that there is evidence of 'something' applied to the grommet that is inserted into the counterweight to aid the ease of movement when adjusting the tracking force! (I didn't dismantle my Technics arm to investigate!).

However, I would agree with other posts that the level of lubrication you would require would be absolutely minimal. And assuming that the 'insert' is rubber or neoprene of some description I think that a TINY drop of silicon could be applied with a cotton bud, or even a tiny smear of Vaseline would suffice. You certainly don't require any more than the tiniest of smears as damping doesn't enter into it.

I'm Hugo.

As above - a thin smear of Vaseline is all that's needed, and probably what the maker used to start with.

I'm Michael.

What about the grease used in the VTA adjustment of the original,Technics arm?

I'm David.

If you must grease, I'd go along with Hugo's suggestion of Vaseline, if it's good enough for baby's bums, it shouldn't damage your tonearm.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast