+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Cartridge set up tip

I'm Andy.

Quote Originally Posted by karma67 View Post
    these little gauges are fine for getting it in the ball park but you are relying on the stylus tip being 100% true to the cantilever and that's true to the cartridge body which in turn has to be true to the headshell,thats all a big ask imo,i do own one but quickly realised that you cant beat a good loupe for actually seeing the stylus tip in the record groove for setting azimuth,the very last knock in's are done buy my good old ears.
    Somehow I never thought of that but it makes great sense thanks.

I'm peter.

just used fozgometer , make sure it is calibrated first with the software off the site, to put a long story first , i had a benz micro given to me , it had a new ruby cantilever from sound smith fitted 7 years ago , the person who gave me it was never satisfied,
    the cantilever seemed to be off center , using the fozgometer i found out the diamond was not central to the cantilever by 18 db to the right , channel , this is what has caused the cantileaver to pull to the right , on setting it up with the meter it is now
    perfect with in .005db , according to the meter and sound is sharper and clear ,i was lucky to have a sme 309 that allowed me enough movement to adjust that out ,

I'm Robert.

Quote Originally Posted by gwernaffield View Post
    just used fozgometer , make sure it is calibrated first with the software off the site, to put a long story first , i had a benz micro given to me , it had a new ruby cantilever from sound smith fitted 7 years ago , the person who gave me it was never satisfied,
    the cantilever seemed to be off center , using the fozgometer i found out the diamond was not central to the cantilever by 18 db to the right , channel , this is what has caused the cantileaver to pull to the right , on setting it up with the meter it is now
    perfect with in .005db , according to the meter and sound is sharper and clear ,i was lucky to have a sme 309 that allowed me enough movement to adjust that out ,
    Good on you Peter.

It's a right malarky this vinyl replay, hence some cant be asked with it and i can see why.

I'm a sucker for punishment so one of the number that wont ever be letting it go
    My System:
    Amplification - Sansui AU-alpha 707 DR
    Turntable - Technics SP10 MK2-Technics EPA-250 Tonearm-Yannis Tome 423.5Plus tonearm cable-Eichmann KLEI Absolute Harmony plugs.
    Ortofon Cadenza Black moving coil cartridge-Fritz Gyger S re-tip. Panzerholz plinth.

CDP - Pioneer PD-91
    Speakers - Spendor D7 on Soundcare SuperSpikes
    QED Silver Spiral speaker cable-airloc banana plugs
    Mains - Ultra Pure silver plated un-switched socket-Missing link EPS 500 silver plated plugs-Hi-Fi Tuning gold plated silver ceramic 13 amp fuses

I'm Dennis.

From Gordon;
    "I also have a couple of the tiny spirit levels mentioned earlier, but found them to be fairly inaccurate! If you rotate it to different positions on a level surface, the bubble adopts a different position each time,"

If the surface is level, the bubble position should remain constant in the level regardless of its orientation, ie the same position in the level.

I'm Kevin.

I suspect that alot of these tiny levels are poorly made and if the bottom surface is not parallel to the bubble it will move position when rotated

I'm Gordon.

Quote Originally Posted by Truckletheuncivil View Post
    I suspect that a lot of these tiny levels are poorly made and if the bottom surface is not parallel to the bubble it will move position when rotated
    Exactly my point. And the reason they cannot be relied upon for accurate headshell / cartridge alignment.

I'm Stewart.

My bubble level has helped me out many times.I removed it in the early 70's from a huge 80 column card punch that was used for commercial computers in the 60's.
    Made from machined steel & glass and is extremely accurate.Like most things 'they don't make them like that anymore.'

I'm Gordon.

Quote Originally Posted by legb4rsk View Post
    My bubble level has helped me out many times.I removed it in the early 70's from a huge 80 column card punch that was used for commercial computers in the 60's.
    Made from machined steel & glass and is extremely accurate.Like most things 'they don't make them like that anymore.'
    Excellent..... So, not £1.59 worth then?? . . . (https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Tiny-Disc...xS7ZAlDGLFygzA)

I'm openingabottleofwine.

If you can, just borrow a double beam oscilloscope to measure and compare the output from each channel. Connect the two channels of the scope to the tape outputs of the pre-amp.

Use a test record with fixed tone tracks and adjust the azimuth so both channels have the same output voltage. This will also take into account any channel imbalance (difference in gain) between the two channels of the pre-amp/phonostage.
    Barry

I'm peter.

i think the fozgometer is easy to use, just put the cable direct to the inputs, using the AP test lp did the trick for me, i find a oscilloscope a bit confusing , would not no where to start , with one , to be honest ,

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast