+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Hi Tannoyers and sound lovers

I'm Geoff.

The original HPD295A Eatons are really nice, I've had five pairs over the years. The classic 'pepperpot' compression driver speakers appear to have a little extra magic, that to me, seems to elude the later Tulip Waveguide models. There's not much in it, but it's there.

If you want to play with Class D on the cheap for a bit of fun, You could try the tiny Breeze Audio TPA3116 amp. It drove my Tannoy Cheviots just fine and sounded remarkably good. https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/New-Digit...4AAOSwfZtbC5ic There have been good reports from members.
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm Benoit.

Quote Originally Posted by walpurgis View Post
    The original HPD295A Eatons are really nice, I've had five pairs over the years. The classic 'pepperpot' compression driver speakers appear to have a little extra magic, that to me, seems to elude the later Tulip Waveguide models. There's not much in it, but it's there.

If you want to play with Class D on the cheap for a bit of fun, You could try the tiny Breeze Audio TPA3116 amp. It drove my Tannoy Cheviots just fine and sounded remarkably good. https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/New-Digit...4AAOSwfZtbC5ic There have been good reports from members.
    Thanks, I have never tried those. I tried a SMSL AD18 on Tannoy Devon, it was okish. Really impressive and clean sound, but from mi-volume, the sound was getting horrible. I guess it was due to an average power supply, as it's often the case in amplifier.
    Would you recommand any powersupply with the Breeze Audio ?

I'm Phil.

Quote Originally Posted by walpurgis View Post

I am told by a certain Tannoy reproduction engineer well known to you all that

the newer waveguide models such as tannoy eaton legacy have more immediacy from their tulip waveguides not less, due to raised and more linear HF output which extends well beyond those of the older pepperpots which roll off at circa 18KHz.

he pepper pots used a magnet which was deeper allowing the horn to be long enough so that the inverted signal from the compression driver (inverted via the drilled phase cap to form a virtual signal propagation point within the horn mouth) lined up phase correct with the LF voicecoil. This was only possible with the older drivers shared magnet AlNiCo motor and the newer pepperpot 15 inch models. The new ones could have employed a similar horn length and phase relationship with the tulip waveguide but chose not to....for what reason I don't know, so the new ones are not phase corrected despite the blurb. If only Tannoy had employed a physically phase corrected tulip waveguide, it would have bettered the older ones by quite some margin in every respect!

Interestingly, neither are time aligned. The older pepper pots and newer pepper-pot ones ARE phase aligned though...two separate things.
    ou might slip, you might slide, you might
    Stumble and fall by the road side
    But don't you ever let nobody drag your spirit down
    Remember you're walking up to heaven

Don't let nobody turn you around
    … Walk with the rich, walk with the poor
    Learn from everyone, that's what life is for
    And don't you let nobody drag your spirit down

Eric Bibb

I'm Pete.

Hi Ben
    Welcome to AOS ams sure you will enjoy your time here
    regards
    Pete

I'm Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by hifinutt View Post

the newer waveguide models such as tannoy eaton legacy have more immediacy from their tulip waveguides not less, due to raised and more linear HF output which extends well beyond those of the older pepperpots which roll off at circa 18KHz.
    Believe what what you like. I trust my ears and not what's written in marketing blurb.
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm Phil.

Ah Geoff, that's not marketing blurb , it's a well known engineer we all know

Eric Bibb

I'm Geoff.

As I said, believe what you like.

I'm Phil.

Ah well Geoff, one thing we do agree on is they love class D !

Eric Bibb

I'm openingabottleofwine.

Welcome to AoS Benoit,

There are many Tannoy fans here, so you will find yourself in good company.

Enjoy the Forum
    Barry
    Barry

Alex_UK is offline Spotify + Facebook Moderator / Chilled-Out Wino and only here for the shilling

I'm WrappingALilacCurtainAroundMyBobby.

Welcome to AoS, hope you enjoy the forum.
    Alex

Main System: Digital: HP Laptop/M2Tech Hiface/Logitech Media Server/FLAC; Marantz SA7001 KI Signature SACD Player and other digital stuff into Gatorised Beresford Caiman DAC Vinyl: Garrard 401/SME 3009 SII Improved/Sumiko HS/Nagaoka MP-30
    Amplifier: Rega Brio R. Speakers: Spendor SP1. Cables: Various, mainly Mark Grant.
    Please see "about me" for the rest of my cr@p! Gallery

A.o.S. on Facebook - A.o.S. on Spotify - A.o.S. on Twitter

There is only one way to avoid criticism: do nothing, say nothing and be nothing Aristotle

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast