+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Hi Tannoyers and sound lovers

I'm Benoit.

Default Hi Tannoyers and sound lovers

Hi everyone,

Just joined the forum, glad to be part of the Hifi adventure.
    I listen to a lot of acoustic music, of any kind. As long as the record is well pressed / recorded, then I like it

I am based in Paris, France
    System wise, I love tannoys, I made my own cabinets with HPD385, sound great. I have recently bought a genuine pair of Tannoy Gold monitors in York rectangular cabinets.
    I am trying to improve the sound of the latter, it's not as clear as the HPD. I am working on upgrading the crossovers and the cabinet.
    I drive them currently with a Sansui AU555A (really good) or a Luxman L10 (really good also).
    Source is Node 2i (very good) and a chord qutest DAC (amazing)

I am not much into cables, I am not sure they bring something. For now, more into optimizing what I got.

Regards,
    Benoit

I'm sorted.

Hello Benoit, I also drive Tannoys with a Luxman amp (Legacy Ardens / L-509X), sounds excellent

I'm Benoit.

Hello Roy, this Luxman L509X looks like a great amplifier ! Did you have the opportunity to compare it with other Luxman gears ? Or other amps ? What are your thought with your Ardens ?

I'm sorted.

Quote Originally Posted by BenParis View Post
    Hello Roy, this Luxman L509X looks like a great amplifier ! Did you have the opportunity to compare it with other Luxman gears ? Or other amps ? What are your thought with your Ardens ?
    I'd been using Quad amplification for a number of years (77, 303, 405, 606, Elite & QMP monoblocks), I also dabbled with valve monoblocks, these were all used with separate phono stages & pre amps. Ultimately I got a little fed up with my room looking like Frankenstein's lab & wanted a 'one box' solution. I liked the look of the Luxman & reviews were favourable so I got one in for a home demo. To say I was blown away would be an understatement, I'd literally never heard anything so lucid! (I should say at the time I was using vintage Arden IIs). So long story short I traded in a stack of gear & parted with a large amount of cash to become the proud owner of a shiny new one. Sold the vintage Ardens as, to be honest, the crossovers were probably due some attention, had a pair of Goldenear Tritons for a while but then returned to the Tannoy fold when a cheeky ebay offer won me the Legacy Ardens, which further improved the sound, & that's me sorted

I'm Benoit.

Hehe, nice
    I had Quad 2 monoblocks and I understand your point, it can look a bit messy and having a nice looking system with a good sound is important !
    Don't have the finance for a Luxman 509X.
    Any idea about the Luxman M200 sound ?

I'm sorted.

Quote Originally Posted by BenParis View Post
    Hehe, nice
    I had Quad 2 monoblocks and I understand your point, it can look a bit messy and having a nice looking system with a good sound is important !
    Don't have the finance for a Luxman 509X.
    Any idea about the Luxman M200 sound ?
    Sorry, not familiar with the M200, don't even know if Luxman has a 'house sound' as this is the first one I've had. Did have one of their turntables which I stupidly sold for peanuts

I'm Phil.

welcome benoit , great to have you .
    My legacy eatons just love class D , and class A . the former is cheaper though and very engaging and affordable
    ou might slip, you might slide, you might
    Stumble and fall by the road side
    But don't you ever let nobody drag your spirit down
    Remember you're walking up to heaven

Don't let nobody turn you around
    … Walk with the rich, walk with the poor
    Learn from everyone, that's what life is for
    And don't you let nobody drag your spirit down

Eric Bibb

I'm Benoit.

I almost bought a Luxman M200 yesterday for a good price, but after talking with the seller, we both agreed that it might not drive the gold 15 very well, honnest seller, with respect for Tannoys

I'm Benoit.

Quote Originally Posted by Roy S View Post
    Sorry, not familiar with the M200, don't even know if Luxman has a 'house sound' as this is the first one I've had. Did have one of their turntables which I stupidly sold for peanuts
    I almost bought a Luxman M200 yesterday for a good price, but after talking with the seller, we both agreed that it might not drive the gold 15 very well, honnest seller, with respect for Tannoys

I'm Benoit.

Quote Originally Posted by hifinutt View Post
    welcome benoit , great to have you .
    My legacy eatons just love class D , and class A . the former is cheaper though and very engaging and affordable
    I have heard eatons sounds totally amazing, with a lot of energy and very beautifull sound. I reckon I have way too big speakers for my appartement in Paris, but not ready to downsize yet
    Your point on amps for Tannoys is very interesting, I have tried a Sugden A21SE Signature (class A), it's ok but I found it way too expensive for the sound. And it was getting too hot also, not good for summer... I don't like class A for this reason. The sound is nice, but AB works well too.
    I never tried class D but I have always been tempted. Lot of people say class D sounds too numerical / surgical, but the best is to try by myself.
    I have tried a Devialet once... it was stunning !! But I don't have a 5K€ budget yet for an amplifier.
    Which class D amp do you have ? A bel canto ? or DIY ice power amps ?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast