+ Reply to Thread

Thread: WTD: 12v Linear Power Supply.

I'm Tony.

Default WTD: 12v Linear Power Supply.

Hi, as per title looking for a power supply for my Pathos Aurium Headphone amp
    rated at 12v/5amp preferably in black. Many thanks. Tony.

I'm Chris.

Hi Tony

You could build to your exact requirements. A LM338 is a voltage regulator capable of 5 amps output and you can set its exact voltage,

I have done the maths for you, you will need 1x 220 ohm resistor, 1x 1800 ohm resistor a 100 ohm resistor
    also 1x 10 uf capacitor and 2x 1000uf 3 capacitors @ 25v

You will need a incoming supply and suggested is a 20VA fused toroidal transformer, a full wave bridge rectifier, and some casework, which you could paint black.
    The attached schematic shows the design. You need to observe capacitor polarity, the output voltage is set via relationship of the LM338's reference voltage and a resistive divider
    Its data sheet is here: http://www.ti.com/lit/ds/symlink/lm338.pdf
    Attached Files Attached Files

I'm Tony.

Quote Originally Posted by Light Dependant Resistor View Post
    Hi Tony

You could build to your exact requirements. A LM338 is a voltage regulator capable of 5 amps output and you can set its exact voltage,

I have done the maths for you, you will need 1x 220 ohm resistor, 1x 1800 ohm resistor a 100 ohm resistor
    also 1x 10 uf capacitor and 2x 1000uf 3 capacitors @ 25v

You will need a incoming supply and suggested is a 20VA fused toroidal transformer, a full wave bridge rectifier, and some casework, which you could paint black.
    The attached schematic shows the design. You need to observe capacitor polarity, the output voltage is set via relationship of the LM338's reference voltage and a resistive divider
    Its data sheet is here: http://www.ti.com/lit/ds/symlink/lm338.pdf
    Hi Chris, thanks for this info but this looks way above my skill level.

I'm Lee.

If you search for 13.8v regulated on ebay you will find plenty. They usually have an adjustable resistor inside so that you can adjust the voltage to suit. I have something similar and it is variable from 0 to 19v at 3a, very useful. They are used in ham radio systems if you wonder.
    Cheers Lee

I'm Matt.

This one looks good for £200 but the owner does not know much current it can supply - maybe someone on AoS knows?

https://www.pinkfishmedia.net/forum/...supply.239669/

I'm Alan.

That doesn't look like a 12V power supply. It is a high voltage supply that has been repurposed to tap off the 12V I guess was originally the valve heater supply.

12V current capability 1/2A maybe.

I'm Alf.

Quote Originally Posted by TonyRoma View Post
    Hi, as per title looking for a power supply for my Pathos Aurium Headphone amp
    rated at 12v/5amp preferably in black. Many thanks. Tony.
    Try Nick from Long Dog Audio - he sorted me with 2 LPS for my Auralic Aries mini and Chord Qutest Dac. They made a noticeable improvement in both cases also and he's a gent to deal with.
    Techy SP10 mk 2 playing my Vinyl, Aries G1/Chord TT2/Mscaler doing digital, Ear Pre amp and Sowter powered KT88 SE power amp amplifying and big JBL's presenting a room full of fun

I'm Tony.

Thanks for the suggestions, some things to look at.

+ Reply to Thread