+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Amplifier pageant

I'm Dennis.

I empathise with many of your points Veiko, having mused over what is going on in general with my involvement in Hi-Fi and music.

Not only do our ears change, as a result of, (and I have substantial) hearing loss, but our brains change; most of hearing is brain processing, and as a result is learning based.

One can assume that one's ears change little in a an hour or day, and so they are considered relatively constant, but when we change equipment we may hear a difference and wonder which is more correct. Often neither is so, but just different; our entire nervous system is configured to perceive changes.

IMO) amplifiers show far less difference than other parts of a system, particularly of course speakers, and it may be possible that a better amp shows up a failing with a speaker producing a result which is less pleasant.

I now have a system with what I consider to be the best tweeters I have heard, and on R2 a little while ago the top was excruciating.
    I'm sure it was a combination of FM and the recording. (my amps are Icepower except for above 2.5kHz, and is then AB).

When we listen to music we hear what is objectively present to a large degree, but what gives us the great pleasure is what we ascribe, associate, assign, and attribute to it. We project onto it our own emotional empathies, and our collections become a repository of our projected emotional responses.

When I first realised this I thought that we were all being conned because what we experienced as great pleasure was actually based on our life experiences, and in our heads, so why should we pay for it.

Because it informs us of our own true self, much of which hidden and may be buried deep in our minds, often due to partitioning, compartmentalisation and repression; it tells us about our inner self, it is a catalyst to self discovery.

I'm Martin.

What speakers are you using Veiko?
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm Gary.

This.

Quote Originally Posted by hifi_dave View Post
    Rega Elex-r and money in the bank.
    AC POWER
    Hardwired 10kVA balanced mains powering entire system
    AMPS
    Meridian 557 power Amp (Modded) / PS Audio BHK Preamp (Modded)
    SPEAKERS
    Wharfedale Evo 4.4
    DAC
    PS Audio Directstream (Modded)
    TURNTABLE
    Pro-Ject X8 balanced output via XLR / Ortofon Quintet Blue cartridge
    PHONOSTAGE
    Pro-Ject DS3 B balanced Input (TT and Phonostage powered by Pro-Ject Power box RS2 linear psu)
    DIGITAL
    OPPO 203 (Modded: Linear PSU, i2s output to Dac) - Roon Endpoint, HDMI input used for all things Streaming/ PS5 /AppleTV ... also good for movies apparently?
    MUSIC PLAYBACK
    Tweaked AP-Linux based Roon Server into Oppo 203 as Roon endpoint
    Ipad Roon Remote.
    Apple Music/ YouTube via AppleTV, fed to Dac via Oppo HDMI input/i2s output to Dac.
    SPEAKER CABLES
    Biwired: Duelund DCA10GA (Bass) Duelund DCA16GA (mid & treble) Duelund 12DCA used as jumpers (On
    "Blackcat Cable" Chris Sommivigo's advice - yup, even with biwire it sounds better - and it does)
    INTERCONNECTS
    All Balanced: Ghost+ recording studio XLR cables

I'm Veiko.

Quote Originally Posted by Macca View Post
    What speakers are you using Veiko?
    I am using Elac Debut 6.2 (bookshelf)
    I like them and I have heard they can outlive many upgrades in surrounding system.
    I don't think I will get floorstanders any time soon, since I don't like to play very loud.

Having done a few hours listening just today, I feel like that is not so much the lack in the top end,
    but rather overpowering of the bass. There are 2 reviews on youtube (The Audiophile Man, Pursuit of
    Perfect System) that more-or-less point to the same issue (while saying the amp is brilliant).
    So as of now, I am not committed. This emphasizing of bass gives a bit of that feel, that the model is
    trying to attract the non-audiophile-listener, who might judge the gear more over its bass, and no
    shame in there, since it is regarded as budget.

There could be workarounds with speakers and cables, but as for now I can also choose a different amp.
    I hear the name of Rega popping up again, all the suggestions are welcome.

I'm Martin.

From what I can find on-line they are very good but need an amp that will deliver a lot of current to get the best out of them. Not sure I would recommend Rega for that. Most amps at the cheaper end of the market fail in that respect.

I'm not really up on what the latest amplifiers on the market are I'm afraid. If you can find an XTZ A100 D3 on the used market that will do the job, will cost about £500 or so. There are some Rotel amps that will also deliver a lot of current when required but do your research first as some Rotels are poor in that regard.

You could also check out NAD, but same applies so check the specs. Ideally you want an amp that doubles its power into 4 ohms, so for example 100 watts into 8ohms and 200 watts into 4 ohms. These specs are important to best sound quality with the speakers you have, so don't disregard them. If the spec into both loads isn't quoted then pass it by.

if the bass is a bit too much moving the speakers away from room boundaries (side and back walls) will balance them out, but you probably knew that.

I wouldn't pay any attention to Pursuit Perfect System's videos. The ones I have seen talked a lot of nonsense.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm Steve.

A lot of Musical Fidelity amps can chuck out a fair bit of current.
    I just dropped in, to see what condition my condition was in

T/T: Inspire Monarch, X200 tonearm, Ortofon Quintet Blue. Phono: Project Tube Box CD: Marantz CD6006 (UK Edition); Amp: Musical Fidelity A5 Integrated.
    Speakers: Zu Omen Def, REL T9i subwoofer. Cables: Atlas Equator interconnects, Atlas Hyper 3.0 speaker cables

T'other system:
    Echo Dot, Amptastic Mini One,Arcam A75 integrated, Celestion 5's, BK XLS-200 DF

A/V:
    LG 55" OLED, Panasonic Blu Ray, Sony a/v amp, MA Radius speakers, REL Storm sub

Forget the past, it's gone. And don't worry about the future, it doesn't exist. There is only NOW.

KICKSTARTER: ENABLING SCAMMERS SINCE 2009

I'm Veiko.

Having done some more listening, I find the Audiolab very good. The sound is solid, deep, detailed, confident, unapologetic.
    I sense maturity and quality in it. But somehow, I cannot get past what I heard and keep hearing with Onkyo A-9130, a certain rough sparkle, juice, zinging high note - emotion. I tested the amp also with more speakers, and it seems evident.
    Also, some reviewers have called Audiolab sound "dry", so perhaps I am not completely off here.

I am listening for example Alice Phoebe Lou (Paper Castles), Sarah Mclachlan (Fumbling Towards Ecstasy), Disco Elysium Soundtrack.

I do not respect the Onkyo very much, but I feel I should not be losing the positives, so I take the Audiolab back, replacing it with
    Cambridge Audio or Rega. Unfortunately, the merchant has not many models he is willing to let me take home, or even set up there.

Thank you for your input.
    Last edited by Sansiiro; 06-06-2020 at 19:28.

I'm Veiko.

I now have listened the Rega Brio for two days.
    Again, it has been very educational. It sounds very different from Audiolab 6000A.
    If I would call the Audiolab an old solid boring (dry) professor, then the Rega Brio might be called the energetic loud youth, who can be tiring and also boring (in his own way).
    From the very start I felt like the music was playing at 1.5 speed. I guess the agility creates the illusion. So I changed my streamer filter to slow, which I thought I’d never do.
    Also at first I felt like the speakers were’nt quite lit – it felt very loud, but at the same time I felt I needed to push more volume. This effect was gone the next day, due to possibly my ears adjusting.
    Also, it felt packed (closed), which I have experienced with a new amp before, so I let it play in my carage for 6 hours while I was away. Next day it seemed better.
    Now, I took it to listen, because Audiolab sounded dry. And yes, the Rega is NOT dry. It is juicy and lively and punchy, more than anything I ever heard. To the point that it feels aggressive. But has it got more emotion?
    Also, for some reason, I feel like the sound of all the different songs was very similar. Almost cartoonish.
    I started purposefully choosing very different tracks, tracks with gloom, steadyness and calm, also with low pace. But they don’t seem to work. All of them seem to get this similar happy-go-lucky cartoonish quality, like a dream swishing by when you have drank too much coffee.
    Perhaps I am jumping the gun. These are just first impressions, and I do realise that I am not professional reviewer, but a beginner audio-lover. So this log here is more for my own benefit.
    The merchant will very kindly give me Marantz HD Amp1 tomorrow, to which I have not got great expectations.
    Thank you for your time.

I'm Veiko.

Hello

I spent the weekend with Marantz HD AMP1 (35w).
    I feel that it has the least flaws to my taste.
    It is not too dry, not too warm, not too bassy, not too aggressive, and it has some detail and space.
    However, few things raise a few doubts.
    First – the vocals. I am not good enaugh at english to find the word, but but sometimes (not always) they seem edgy? thin? harsh?
    I then combed the internet on the matter, but to my surprise, I found noone else mentioning this issue.
    Since the “power of suggestion” is strong, I hope this issue is not really that evident...
    Secondly - it sounds kind of thin sometimes. A bit veiled. “Sterile” – someone said.
    Third – probably not enough power for louder levels……

But what is the main problem? It is the XTZ A2-300.
    I find that I like the detail, clarity and separation that the class-D brings.
    So. Why would I pay 1000 euros for older and lesser model, with not much power and praise,
    when I could pay 500 euros for a 150 w class-D legend (poweramp though)?, as it seems to be portrayed.

But this is complicated also. My kind merchant can’t sell me this. Seems that only XTZ sells it.
    And I already have paid the man. And furthermore – I have not actually heard the XTZ…….

So as for now I feel puzzled and will take the time off and marinade over the situation.

What I wonder about is, could the Marantz be good enaugh to let the Denafrips Ares II to shine, which is planned ahead?
    Also – Perhaps my Elac Debut 6.2-s are so down below quality-wise that they in their own turn won’t let the Marantz to show it’s worth?

I return the Marantz tomorrow, and possibly the merchant will offer me another amp to take home.
    And however it will sound, I feel that I will be obsessing about the XTZ.

One possible solution – I will get the preamp and cables from the merchant, and then get the XTZ poweramp and the Denafrips.

I'm Veiko.

Yeah, I got the XTZ A2-300.
    It is very good.
    Very clear, very neutral, quick, powerful, yet delicate,
    has a lot of detail, nothing missing, nothing too much, very pleasant.
    Class D is ok by me, if thats what it means.
    I think I will settle with it for a long time,
    if anything I will get another one.
    Btw using it without preamp now, chromecast audio for
    volume control, and Ares II for dac.

Have a great day!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast