+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Monitoring ?

I'm Bob.

Quote Originally Posted by Barry View Post
    You can check the tape is not saturating and distorting, the heads are not magnetised and the tape is running smoothly.
    Nicely sums it up. This is the main benefit for me, tweaking on the fly enabling a degree of fine tuning by ear so you're not just reliant on the VU meters.
    Source: Orbe SE / SME IV / Cadenza Bronze
    Source: WD NAS / Cyrus Stream X2 / Chord DAVE
    Source: Oppo UDP-205 (CD/DVD-A/SACD)

Amplification: Icon Audio PS 3 Sig Phono + Audio Research LS27 + Musical Fidelity A5cr Power Amp
    Loudspeakers: ProAc Response D28
    Cables/stands: Mark Grant G1500HD + Linn K20 + Cat 5e
    Other bits: Okki Nokki keeping things clean

I'm Josie.

VU meters are pretty useless in most situations. The plasma type meters are better, you get a more instant reading. But they don't always show you problems. You need monitoring to check levels mostly.

Distortion/Saturation is normally done by ear so have to be confident about the machine you are using and do plenty of test recordings especially if you are live. You need a feed from the sound board and record some final setting checks and you 'should' always listen to the tape output when live.
    Ultrafide U500DC power amplifier - Croft Vitale )highly modified) - TRIO L-07D Turntable - Denon DL103C1 - Funk Firm Houdini - Lentek MC head amp - 15" Tannoy Monitor Gold Loudspeakers in Lockwood Major cabinets (From Trident Studios) - Tannoyista SPEC 3 Custom Crossovers - VanDamme Black Speaker Cable

Tannoyista.com

Facebook

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123