+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: The SECOND-most progressive ROCK lp release

I'm Adrian.

Moody Blues -on the threshold of a dream concept album, uses different styles together and was unconventional for its time, I found it in the prog rock bin in the record store at the time

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Listening is the act of aural discrimination and dissemination of sound, and accepting you get it wrong sometimes.

Analog Inputs: Pro-Ject Signature 10 TT & arm, Benz Micro LP-S, Michel Cusis MC, Goldring 2500 and Ortofon Rondo Blue cartridges, Hitachi FT5500 mk2 Tuner

Digital:- Marantz SA-KI Pearl CD player, RaspberryPi/HifiBerry Digi+ Pro, Buffalo NAS Drive

Amplification:- AudioValve Sunilda phono stage, Krell KSP-7B pre-amp, Krell KSA-80 power amp

Output: Wilson Benesch Vector speakers, KLH Ultimate One Headphones

Cables: Tellurium Q Ultra Black II RCA & Chord Epic 2 RCA, various speaker leads, & links

I think I am nearing audio nirvana, but don’t tell anyone.

I'm openingabottleofwine.

I doubt if there will be general agreement on exactly what was the first concept album, but several have been suggested:

'Freak Out' by Frank Zappa and The Mothers of Invention

'Pet Sounds' by the Beach Boys

'SF Sorrow' by The Pretty Things

All were released in the mid to late '60s, and the first two were cited by the Beatles as being an influence in the making of 'Sgt Pepper' (which IMO is not a concept album). whereas 'SF Sorrow' can make a very good claim to be the first rock opera.

So there we go: "concept album"; "rock opera"; "progressive pop/rock", "psychedelic pop/rock" - the debate can go on and on ........... and on!
    Barry

I'm Adrian.

What about Spirit - The Twelve Dreams of Dr Sardonicus

Listening is the act of aural discrimination and dissemination of sound, and accepting you get it wrong sometimes.

Analog Inputs: Pro-Ject Signature 10 TT & arm, Benz Micro LP-S, Michel Cusis MC, Goldring 2500 and Ortofon Rondo Blue cartridges, Hitachi FT5500 mk2 Tuner

Digital:- Marantz SA-KI Pearl CD player, RaspberryPi/HifiBerry Digi+ Pro, Buffalo NAS Drive

Amplification:- AudioValve Sunilda phono stage, Krell KSP-7B pre-amp, Krell KSA-80 power amp

Output: Wilson Benesch Vector speakers, KLH Ultimate One Headphones

Cables: Tellurium Q Ultra Black II RCA & Chord Epic 2 RCA, various speaker leads, & links

I think I am nearing audio nirvana, but don’t tell anyone.

I'm openingabottleofwine.

Quote Originally Posted by AJSki2fly View Post
    What about Spirit - The Twelve Dreams of Dr Sardonicus

I have that, but never thought of it as being a 'concept album'. I'll have to fish it out and listen to it again.
    Barry

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234