+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: The SECOND-most progressive ROCK lp release

Deacon Beeker Guest

Default The SECOND-most progressive ROCK lp release

Virtually everyone who knows anything about rock will agree that the FIRST totally prog LP was King Crimson's "Court of Crimson King". Released Oct 10 '69 .

Wot are contenders for the second-most prog rock lp?

(Note that I stipulate prog ROCK. I am not necessarily interested in the word "progressive" in the sense of music that advances / is an improvement upon. It has to be in the rock oeuvre , or - since we are dealing with 60's - poprock. We are not talking things like Miles Davis or Dylan going electric.)

I'm Chris.

Contenders might be Yes - Close to the Edge, Genesis - Foxtrot, Van De Graff Generator - Godbluff , to name a few, although were early to mid 70's
    If 60's then Ahprodites Child -End of the World

Deacon Beeker Guest

Aphrodite's Child debut lp was released Dec '68, so, if you accept "Court of Crimson King" as being first prog lp, then there is no way "End Of World" is going to be the second.

Besides, the music is baroque pop, influenced in places by the Beatles.

I'm Chris.

Quote Originally Posted by Deacon Beeker View Post
    Aphrodite's Child debut lp was released Dec '68, so, if you accept "Court of Crimson King" as being first prog lp, then there is no way "End Of World" is going to be the second.

Besides, the music is baroque pop, influenced in places by the Beatles.
    Yes but, but with only 2 months to go then, until the end of the 1960's it narrows a second prog lp in the 1960's capable of being second to ITCOTCK over a very short time frame.

King Crimson certainly set the stage for all prog rock to follow, so you need allowance, to be in the 1970's. I dare say there was no other prog LP released that would be a second to ITCOTCK
    released either November or December 1969.

Deacon Beeker Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Light Dependant Resistor View Post
    I dare say there was no other prog LP released that would be a second to ITCOTCK
    released either November or December 1969.
    RARE BIRD - SAME Dec '69

RENAISSANCE -SAME Dec '69

VAN DER GRAFF GENERATOR "Aerosol Grey Machine" December 1969 (US release) hard to believe but there was no UK release. First release was US, then Germany.

MIGHTY BABY - SAME oCT '69

I'm Chris.

Hi Horatio
    Nice find, which would you say is second to ITCOTCK ? or is the 1970's a better period to award a second position.

If you go to the 1970's then many prog bands, naturally influenced by King Crimson appear like https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ange
    but will requirie an appreciation of french language to appreciate what they are expressing as prog. One of my favorite lines is from Atlantis
    from the album https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Par_les_fils_de_Mandrin where Christian Decamps ends the vocal section with " The Grand Silence "

Deacon Beeker Guest

I would say Renaissance-same is the stand-out second position.

I have maybe 6 Ange lps, including both French & English version of "Par les fils de Mandrin".

I'm Adrian.

I am not sure you are limiting it to the 60's or just what is the second most prog-rock LP

I would say contenders would be

Emerson Lake and Palmer - 1st Album 1970 would be right up there

Soft Machines first 2 albums have to their as well 68 and 69

The Moody Blues - On the Threshold of a Dream 1969, some might argue Psychedelic Rock, but it was considered Prog Rock in its day and it has a strange mix of styles, and crosses over with classical influences

Personally I'd pick ELP
    Listening is the act of aural discrimination and dissemination of sound, and accepting you get it wrong sometimes.

Analog Inputs: Pro-Ject Signature 10 TT & arm, Benz Micro LP-S, Michel Cusis MC, Goldring 2500 and Ortofon Rondo Blue cartridges, Hitachi FT5500 mk2 Tuner

Digital:- Marantz SA-KI Pearl CD player, RaspberryPi/HifiBerry Digi+ Pro, Buffalo NAS Drive

Amplification:- AudioValve Sunilda phono stage, Krell KSP-7B pre-amp, Krell KSA-80 power amp

Output: Wilson Benesch Vector speakers, KLH Ultimate One Headphones

Cables: Tellurium Q Ultra Black II RCA & Chord Epic 2 RCA, various speaker leads, & links

I think I am nearing audio nirvana, but don’t tell anyone.

I'm Geoff.

I dare say labels can be affixed retrospectively, but it's debatable as to whether Court of The Crimson King even was Progressive Rock at the time. The term was not really established back then and was certainly not 'common usage' amongst rock fans. Many regarded CoTCK as psychedelic rock.
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

Deacon Beeker Guest

You are correct - there is little evidence of the TERM "progressive" being used back in the initial stages. (But there ARE two or three concert bills/posters where the word IS brought up - I don't recall but I think one is for Hawkwind and the other maybe Keef Hartley Band).

The GENRE term, of course came later when there accumulated bands with THE SOUND.

So genre, no. Sound, yes.

We know the early prog sound -from the bands that followed - so we can extrapolate BACKWARDS, most certainly - to the early-most lps that clearly sparked off the whole shebang; which evinced this "sound" in its embryonic form.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast