+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I’m lockdown bored so recommend me a new MM cartridge

I'm Stephen.

Default I’m lockdown bored so recommend me a new MM cartridge

As per the title - don’t need one but looking for something to do.

I’m currently using a Decca Supergold with a Rothwell Simplex/Fidelity Audio phono stage on a fully modded SL1210/Jelco TK850S into a full monty Croft 25RSLS/7 mono’s.

I have several MC’s that I use with a Tom Evans microgroove 2+ but I don’t currently have a pure MM.

I know the Ortofon 2M Black is highly thought of by many here but I’ve read it can be a bit “CD” at the top end. The Croft is very revealing so that is a concern for me.

Sound wise I really like the Supergold’s pace and attack.
    Music wise I tend to listen to jazz, solo guitar, Einaudi and “dad’s rock” like Floyd and Van der Graf Generator.

Budget around £500 give or take

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Always a little further

I'm Chris.

Nagoaka MP-200

Had a 110 and really enjoyed it. Balanced and not fussy about partnering equipment. Nag's don't have the looks or following of the mainstream carts but I think they've got it where it counts. Failing that can't go wrong with an AT-150MLX if you can find one now. I hear the VM 740ML is supposed to be as good if a lot cheaper.
    System 1: - Amp - Musical Paradise MP-701 mk2 - Neurochrome 686
    - Source: Audio Technica LP-5 - Custom 6V6 stage - Novafidelity X30 - Soekris 1421 (LPSU) - Custom TDA1541 C3G DAC -
    - Speakers: Martin Logan Prodigy's - Subs: - REL T3's -

System 2 - Amp: Musical Paradise MP 303/Custom 300B SET - Custom 6SL7 Pre -
    - Source: Pioneer N-30K - SONCOZ SGD1 -
    - Speakers: Loth X BS1's - Sub: REL T3 -

I'm Charlie.

Steve,

Your Jelco TK850S tonearm has an effective mass of 13.8g; I'm not sure if the manufacturer's specs are with or without the standard head shell.The tonearm mass rules out all of the vintage high compliance MMs carts, like the AKG P8, Grace F9, ADC 26 etc, as they all need low mass arms.

How about a Garrott P77i (the upgraded version of the A&R P77 - but significantly better) or a Nagaoka MP500? An older Ortofon M20FL would be good; the compliance of 20 cu might just work ok; the M20E won't work as that's a high compliance cartridge. I have both the M20FL and Garrott P77i in my collection and they both sound excellent - but they won't be as good as your Super Gold, but may be more forgiving of poor pressings.

Charlie
    R2R: Studer A820 1/2 inch 2 track; Otari MTR-12 1/4 inch 2 track; Sony APR 5003; Sony APR 5002; Studer A807/II. Vinyl: Platine Verdier Allaerts MC1B/Schroeder Reference & Model 2 Decca C4E/Hadcock 228 TRON Seven Reference phono. Keith Monks MkII RCM Other analogue source: Nakamichi Dragon with ANT4066 mods. Amplification: TRON Meteor preamp TRON Voyager 20B SET power. Speakers: Avantgarde Duo. Digital: computing at last with Prism Sound Lyra 2 A2D converter

I'm Dave.

The only cartridge with the "pace and attack" of a Decca, is a Decca. The 2M Black won't do it - it's anaemic in comparison. If you. are happy with the Decca, I would say, stick with it.

I'm openingabottleofwine.

Quote Originally Posted by hifi_dave View Post
    The only cartridge with the "pace and attack" of a Decca, is a Decca. The 2M Black won't do it - it's anaemic in comparison. If you. are happy with the Decca, I would say, stick with it.
    Agreed!
    Barry

I'm Stephen.

Quote Originally Posted by hifi_dave View Post
    In my heart I know you are right Dave.
    Always a little further

I'm Adrian.

Quote Originally Posted by worrasf View Post
    As per the title - don’t need one but looking for something to do.

Sound wise I really like the Supergold’s pace and attack.
    Music wise I tend to listen to jazz, solo guitar, Einaudi and “dad’s rock” like Floyd and Van der Graf Generator.

Budget around £500 give or take

Stephen,

I listen to all sorts of music and went for a Goldring 2500 instead of an Ortofon 2M Black, have a look at these threads. First one is similar to your question, 2nd is my report on what I purchased, last one tells you my view on the Goldring 2500, and it has not change since and it now done about 30hours.

https://theartofsound.net/forum/show...=goldring+2500

https://theartofsound.net/forum/show...39#post1179939
    Listening is the act of aural discrimination and dissemination of sound, and accepting you get it wrong sometimes.

Analog Inputs: Pro-Ject Signature 10 TT & arm, Benz Micro LP-S, Michel Cusis MC, Goldring 2500 and Ortofon Rondo Blue cartridges, Hitachi FT5500 mk2 Tuner

Digital:- Marantz SA-KI Pearl CD player, RaspberryPi/HifiBerry Digi+ Pro, Buffalo NAS Drive

Amplification:- AudioValve Sunilda phono stage, Krell KSP-7B pre-amp, Krell KSA-80 power amp

Output: Wilson Benesch Vector speakers, KLH Ultimate One Headphones

Cables: Tellurium Q Ultra Black II RCA & Chord Epic 2 RCA, various speaker leads, & links

I think I am nearing audio nirvana, but don’t tell anyone.

I'm Stephen.

Quote Originally Posted by AJSki2fly View Post
    Stephen,

I listen to all sorts of music and went for a Goldring 2500 instead of an Ortofon 2M Black, have a look at these threads. First one is similar to your question, 2nd is my report on what I purchased, last one tells you my view on the Goldring 2500, and it has not change since and it now done about 30hours.

https://theartofsound.net/forum/show...39#post1179939
    Thanks so much for this info and personal experience - just what I was after - I read the What HiFi review and thought it promising. I think I may well dip my toe in the water.
    Steve

Always a little further

I'm Adrian.

Quote Originally Posted by worrasf View Post
    Thanks so much for this info and personal experience - just what I was after - I read the What HiFi review and thought it promising. I think I may well dip my toe in the water.
    Steve

Your welcome, I thought it might help I found it very difficult to know what to go for, and in the end shy'd away form the 2M Black, and the Goldring 2500 had some good reviews and was a good value.
    Listening is the act of aural discrimination and dissemination of sound, and accepting you get it wrong sometimes.

Analog Inputs: Pro-Ject Signature 10 TT & arm, Benz Micro LP-S, Michel Cusis MC, Goldring 2500 and Ortofon Rondo Blue cartridges, Hitachi FT5500 mk2 Tuner

Digital:- Marantz SA-KI Pearl CD player, RaspberryPi/HifiBerry Digi+ Pro, Buffalo NAS Drive

Amplification:- AudioValve Sunilda phono stage, Krell KSP-7B pre-amp, Krell KSA-80 power amp

Output: Wilson Benesch Vector speakers, KLH Ultimate One Headphones

Cables: Tellurium Q Ultra Black II RCA & Chord Epic 2 RCA, various speaker leads, & links

I think I am nearing audio nirvana, but don’t tell anyone.

I'm Stephen.

Quote Originally Posted by AJSki2fly View Post
    Your welcome, I thought it might help I found it very difficult to know what to go for, and in the end shy'd away form the 2M Black, and the Goldring 2500 had some good reviews and was a good value.
    Just ordered one Adrian - should be here on Thursday.
    What VTF did you end up using?

Regards
    Steve
    Always a little further

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast