+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: I’ve dropped Roon in favour of LMS

I'm Barry.

I have been running LMS for the last few days on my 4GB pi 4 with a usb hard drive with no problems, player is a pi 3B+ running moode audio.

I'm Hermano.

Quote Originally Posted by Kit1cat View Post
    I have been running LMS for the last few days on my 4GB pi 4 with a usb hard drive with no problems, player is a pi 3B+ running moode audio.
    I have tried LMS on Pi 4gb but still cannot get it 'play nice'. Slow to load, lots of album art missing or not loading properly, failing to reboot properly when needed etc. I have put this down to size of library (around 4tb).
    I used Picore player as no mention there of having to have partitions if over 2tb .

I'm Mike.

Quote Originally Posted by hermano View Post
    I have tried LMS on Pi 4gb but still cannot get it 'play nice'. Slow to load, lots of album art missing or not loading properly, failing to reboot properly when needed etc. I have put this down to size of library (around 4tb).
    I used Picore player as no mention there of having to have partitions if over 2tb .
    Running LMS on the Pi slider alongside the OS will be poor, it's better running on another machine/pc whatever and using the Pi solely as an end point.

I use an Intel NUC that cost me about £230 secondhand for LMS that was originally meant to run Roon, but I prefer the much more versatile LMS.

DId you expand the SD card within Picoreplayer?

It's one of the setup options, not sure if it'll help but won't do any harm.

I would also use 16gb minimum for running LMS alongside Picoreplayer.

I'm Hermano.

Quote Originally Posted by mikeyb View Post
    Running LMS on the Pi slider alongside the OS will be poor, it's better running on another machine/pc whatever and using the Pi solely as an end point.

I use an Intel NUC that cost me about £230 secondhand for LMS that was originally meant to run Roon, but I prefer the much more versatile LMS.

DId you expand the SD card within Picoreplayer?

It's one of the setup options, not sure if it'll help but won't do any harm.

I would also use 16gb minimum for running LMS alongside Picoreplayer.

Cheers for reply, I did expand SD card via PiCoreplayer but no joy. I have tried on a number of occasions to get LMS working either via max2player, picore or various other options. Always seems to struggle with large library. Meanwhile Moode is
    continuing to play and behave perfectly. I just wanted to retry LMS after many years. Had a squeezebox touch when first came out and used if for about 6 months, then went PI. Stupidly had bought a Squeezebox radio just before changing so is sat in loft. Thought I might try running LMS and using it but guess not.

I'm Mike.

Quote Originally Posted by hermano View Post
    Cheers for reply, I did expand SD card via PiCoreplayer but no joy. I have tried on a number of occasions to get LMS working either via max2player, picore or various other options. Always seems to struggle with large library. Meanwhile Moode is
    continuing to play and behave perfectly. I just wanted to retry LMS after many years. Had a squeezebox touch when first came out and used if for about 6 months, then went PI. Stupidly had bought a Squeezebox radio just before changing so is sat in loft. Thought I might try running LMS and using it but guess not.
    What you've to remember that running LMS AND something like Picoreplayer basically means you're running two operating systems on the same Pi and even although Picoreplayer actually resides in the Ram section this just slows everything down, as mentioned earlier I run LMS on the NUC and have two Pi's as endpoints, one using Picoreplayer and one using MoOde.

I'm Andrew.

If you want the Raspberry Pi to act as a an LMS server with a large Library then you really need to use a single Raspberry Pi 4 4GB loaded and working as nothing more than the LMS server with your library connected to that . I would also say that only as far as I am aware there is currently a limit of 2TB maximum with LMS anything larger has to be partitioned and set as a second library . However I am by no means ana expert on this and things constantly change so if that statement is wrong then apologies. For such a large Library i would suggest that the Raspberry Pi is not ideal and will struggle .

I'm Ken.

@mikeb
    Hi Mike, I'm pretty new to this stuff and just started messing with a RPi4B running MoOde with a 4TB NAS set up.

Don't know how dumb this question is, but could you explain why you need LMS, what does it give you that you cant achieve on MoOde alone?

I also have a Qobuz subscription, I hope to incorporate this with MoOde using UPnP.
    Qobuz is native on Volumio, but I balked at having to pay an additional subscription for myVolumio to access it.

I'm a novice at all this so I'm not aware of any pitfalls that may be lurking with this approach.

I'm Mike.

Quote Originally Posted by Qwin View Post
    @mikeb
    Hi Mike, I'm pretty new to this stuff and just started messing with a RPi4B running MoOde with a 4TB NAS set up.

Don't know how dumb this question is, but could you explain why you need LMS, what does it give you that you cant achieve on MoOde alone?

I also have a Qobuz subscription, I hope to incorporate this with MoOde using UPnP.
    Qobuz is native on Volumio, but I balked at having to pay an additional subscription for myVolumio to access it.

I'm a novice at all this so I'm not aware of any pitfalls that may be lurking with this approach.
    Hi,

One of main reasons I use LMS is that it gives me access to Bandcamp which I listen to a lot as you can try before you buy. Radio Paradise Hi Res streams too.

It also gives better access to Qobuz and Spotify than just via uPnP or Connect, you can search, add to favourites etc.

I also like the way that the Material Skin combines your music library into one, ie: music on my NAS drive, Qobuz and Spotify favourites can all be shown as one big library.

I'm certainly not missing Roon, I should have stuck with my gut instinct NOT to buy it, too late now but I've cancelled the auto renew for that.

LMS is free so nothing to lose if you try and don't like.

I donated to MoOde and Material Skin developer even though both are free.

PS: it looks like MyVolumio wants to be like Roon, even their new forum looks like the Roon community pages.

I'm Ken.

Ok, so it's down to integration and ease of access/use of your combined services/storage, that makes sense.

My initial needs are basic, I'm sure that will change along the way, as I get into it, so I'll keep LMS in mind.
    I don't even run my set up headless at present. I have a large screen TV straight in front of me, so that's plugged into the Pi/MoOde. I control it with a wired mouse and have an air mouse on order. It's basic, but it works, I don't own a tablet and wasn't about to buy one, just to select music tracks. I think I must be part Scott.

One thing, does this slightly more complex set up and number of boxes, tie your system down to your home network location - how easy would it be for you to use your file based music at say a NEBO meet? It's something I have at the back of my mind when considering my set up.

I'm Grant.

aye Scott of the Antartic
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast