+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: I think I need to give up Hi-Fi

I'm Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by REXTON View Post
    I managed a little over 15K. Quite happy with that!
    I can't perceive notes over 10kHz, not that the Hi-Fi seems to sound any different.
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm Grant.

Quote Originally Posted by walpurgis View Post
    I was diagnosed with it a few years ago, but it went. I thought it was incurable.

Tinnitus has reduced a lot since my neck surgery too.
    Reduced blood flow can give tinnitus so might have been connected with your blockage
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by struth View Post
    Reduced blood flow can give tinnitus so might have been connected with your blockage
    I think you may be right.
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm Paul.

Thanks for all the replies, I was starting to think I must be all alone here not hearing what all the Audiophiles were going on about, but obviously nice to know I am not alone in not hearing the difference between two good quality Phono plugs on the same cable, like some claim.

Still the good news is that I don't need to upgrade my 35 year old Amp as to me it still dounds as awesom as the day I bought it brand new, although according to some it's relatively low-fi so my standards must be pretty low as my hearing was better 35 years ago, well I assume it was better, perhaps I have always had these wooden ears

Still nice to be able to save some money even if it's just to spend on more records, after all I much prefer to listen to the music not the gear producing it.

It must be terrible never being satisfied and always finding fault in what they just spent thousands on. Its nice being below average again, just like being back at school .

Thanks again

Paul
    Current setup Thorens TD-160 Mk1 with Denon DL-110 MC Cartridge, Pioneer PD-8700 CD Player, Yamaha AX-592 Amp, Yamaha CDX-810 CD Player, Yamaha KX-480 Cassette Deck, Yamaha TX-492RDS Tuner, Monitor Audio Bronze 5 speakers, Van-Damme Cables throughout.

I'm Steve.

Is tinnitus similar for everyone? I get a whistling sound, which I would guess is about 5kHz, similar to what I could hear coming from television sets in the olden days, and to the noise I used to get after going to a loud concert or club. It also seems to get louder as I'm listening to music.
    I just dropped in, to see what condition my condition was in

T/T: Inspire Monarch, X200 tonearm, Ortofon Quintet Blue. Phono: Project Tube Box CD: Marantz CD6006 (UK Edition); Amp: Musical Fidelity A5 Integrated.
    Speakers: Zu Omen Def, REL T9i subwoofer. Cables: Atlas Equator interconnects, Atlas Hyper 3.0 speaker cables

T'other system:
    Echo Dot, Amptastic Mini One,Arcam A75 integrated, Celestion 5's, BK XLS-200 DF

A/V:
    LG 55" OLED, Panasonic Blu Ray, Sony a/v amp, MA Radius speakers, REL Storm sub

Forget the past, it's gone. And don't worry about the future, it doesn't exist. There is only NOW.

KICKSTARTER: ENABLING SCAMMERS SINCE 2009

I'm Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by Pigmy Pony View Post
    Is tinnitus similar for everyone? I get a whistling sound, which I would guess is about 5kHz, similar to what I could hear coming from television sets in the olden days, and to the noise I used to get after going to a loud concert or club. It also seems to get louder as I'm listening to music.
    That's what I was getting. Largely down to a badly blocked carotid artery it seems, which had gone undiagnosed for some time. Could be worth getting checked, seeing as it gave me three successive strokes and nearly killed me in February. (only just before the hospital was swamped with Coronavirus victims as it happens)

I'm openingabottleofwine.

The whistle from old TV sets was due to the line scan oscillator at 20kHz. Your hearing was very good if you could hear it.

The whistling you got after going to a loud concert was tinnitus, which would usually fade after a day or so, unless it was excessive. Usually it decreases down to a low level, which because it is a 'constant' stimulus is ignored by the brain and you don't notice it. But it can be easily triggered by listening to music.
    Barry

I'm Chris.

There is a common theme prevalent in a lot of forum threads, to try to impress that our actual hearing ability is confined to 20-20khz.

The truth is we perceive if there is absence of frequencies much higher. We therefore need equipment to contain the ability for higher frequencies
    to properly assess the frequencies we hear directly. Whilst the subject material in this thread is a little different, it is reassuring to know our hearing
    has some amazing ability. Some have suggested the frequencies we need in equipment specification extends to beyond 50 khz

Removing our perception frequencies, then changes the frequencies we directly hear
    is argued here: https://www.earthworksaudio.com/wp-c...yond-20kHz.pdf

A counter argument then arises that there is no useful energy at these frequencies in musical instruments,
    this graph and explanation differ http://www.cco.caltech.edu/~boyk/spectra/spectra.htmfig1a.jpg

I'm inthescottishmafia.

Quote Originally Posted by Barry View Post
    The whistle from old TV sets was due to the line scan oscillator at 20kHz. Your hearing was very good if you could hear it.

The whistling you got after going to a loud concert was tinnitus, which would usually fade after a day or so, unless it was excessive. Usually it decreases down to a low level, which because it is a 'constant' stimulus is ignored by the brain and you don't notice it. But it can be easily triggered by listening to music.
    I thought that was about 14khz?

In any case I could always tell if anyone was in before I walked down their drive back in the day as I could hear if their telly was on or not as I'd hear the high pitched whistle of their telly.

Going back to the 90's, a neighbour had a vermin problem in his shed and bought an ultrasonic anti vermin thingie, it drove me mad as I could hear it, thankfully we were on good terms and he agreed to dispose of it when I threw myself upon his mercy. I was getting no sleep at all for that horrible thing..
    “Music has always been a matter of energy to me, a question of fuel. Sentimental people call it inspiration, but what they really mean is fuel. I have always needed fuel. I am a serious consumer. On some nights I still believe that a car with the gas needle on empty can run about fifty more miles if you have the right music very loud on the radio”

Hunter S Thompson

I'm Grant.

The vast majority of adults can only go up yo about 16k tbh. Younger you are the more you can hear. As a rule of thumb.
    I used to work in TV industry and could easily hear the old line system. The new one was a stretch as I was older then but could sometimes pick it out.
    I'd bet 75% of adults won't hear 17k.. Not that there is really much to hear anyway.
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast