+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: I think I need to give up Hi-Fi

I'm Grant.

Quote Originally Posted by Ali Tait View Post
    I thought that was about 14khz?

In any case I could always tell if anyone was in before I walked down their drive back in the day as I could hear if their telly was on or not as I'd hear the high pitched whistle of their telly.

Going back to the 90's, a neighbour had a vermin problem in his shed and bought an ultrasonic anti vermin thingie, it drove me mad as I could hear it, thankfully we were on good terms and he agreed to dispose of it when I threw myself upon his mercy. I was getting no sleep at all for that horrible thing..
    For pal the freq is 15.6khz from the core of flyback tx.
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Chris.

Quote Originally Posted by struth View Post
    The vast majority of adults can only go up yo about 16k tbh. Younger you are the more you can hear. As a rule of thumb.
    I used to work in TV industry and could easily hear the old line system. The new one was a stretch as I was older then but could sometimes pick it out.
    I'd bet 75% of adults won't hear 17k.. Not that there is really much to hear anyway.
    Hi Grant
    Did you read the articles, I linked to a few posts ago ?

I'm Grant.

Quote Originally Posted by Light Dependant Resistor View Post
    Hi Grant
    Did you read the articles, I linked to a few posts ago ?
    Sorry I've not got to those yet. Hope to tomorrow tho.
    Regards,

FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Steve.

Quote Originally Posted by walpurgis View Post
    That's what I was getting. Largely down to a badly blocked carotid artery it seems, which had gone undiagnosed for some time. Could be worth getting checked, seeing as it gave me three successive strokes and nearly killed me in February. (only just before the hospital was swamped with Coronavirus victims as it happens)
    Thanks Geoff, for shining that little ray of sunshine onto my breakfast cornflakes My mum had a big stroke when she was 4 years younger than I am, messed her up badly for months. So yes, when I get my annual blood pressure check (due now) I'll ask the question.
    I just dropped in, to see what condition my condition was in

T/T: Inspire Monarch, X200 tonearm, Ortofon Quintet Blue. Phono: Project Tube Box CD: Marantz CD6006 (UK Edition); Amp: Musical Fidelity A5 Integrated.
    Speakers: Zu Omen Def, REL T9i subwoofer. Cables: Atlas Equator interconnects, Atlas Hyper 3.0 speaker cables

T'other system:
    Echo Dot, Amptastic Mini One,Arcam A75 integrated, Celestion 5's, BK XLS-200 DF

A/V:
    LG 55" OLED, Panasonic Blu Ray, Sony a/v amp, MA Radius speakers, REL Storm sub

Forget the past, it's gone. And don't worry about the future, it doesn't exist. There is only NOW.

KICKSTARTER: ENABLING SCAMMERS SINCE 2009

I'm Dave.

Re the Youtube Amp comparison - all I can write at this time is that the Beethoven recording is very clearly not good at all - either in terms of sound or performance. The distortion is very audible, so the amps are reproducing that pretty well!
    Dave

I´ve just had confirmation of my permanent loss of hearing in one ear, virtually 100 dB across the board, caused by a Schwannoma (benign tumour/build up of Schwann cells) which is pressuring my audio nerve as it passes through a tunnel in my skull somewhere. Anyway an op doesn´t look to be a clever option so I´m wondering if anyone would recommend getting one of my inputs made mono and basically forgetting my right hand speaker or should I persevere with stereo and look right parallel to my speakers so my good left ear looks straight at the centre space between my speakers and try and assimilate any spatial info if poss. One thing is sure - I won´t be spending any more dough on my system, in fact I might well flog my A21SE and Wd25TEx and go back to my Sugden A48II and Heybrook HB2s of way back then. Quite a relief actually - my system is fine at long last.

I'm inthescottishmafia.

Quote Originally Posted by struth View Post
    For pal the freq is 15.6khz from the core of flyback tx.
    Cheers, thought it was around that.
    “Music has always been a matter of energy to me, a question of fuel. Sentimental people call it inspiration, but what they really mean is fuel. I have always needed fuel. I am a serious consumer. On some nights I still believe that a car with the gas needle on empty can run about fifty more miles if you have the right music very loud on the radio”

Hunter S Thompson

I'm Alan.

It is actually 15.625kHz.
    That comes from 625 lines (picture scan) x 25 frames per second = 15.625kHz.

To be even more pedantic a full frames is made up from two half frames of 312.5 lines scanned at 50Hz (mains frequency).
    Alternate lines are scanned every half frame but the result is the same, 312.5 x 50 = 15.625kHz.

I'm Martin.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris View Post
    I´ve just had confirmation of my permanent loss of hearing in one ear, virtually 100 dB across the board, caused by a Schwannoma (benign tumour/build up of Schwann cells) which is pressuring my audio nerve as it passes through a tunnel in my skull somewhere. Anyway an op doesn´t look to be a clever option so I´m wondering if anyone would recommend getting one of my inputs made mono and basically forgetting my right hand speaker or should I persevere with stereo and look right parallel to my speakers so my good left ear looks straight at the centre space between my speakers and try and assimilate any spatial info if poss. One thing is sure - I won´t be spending any more dough on my system, in fact I might well flog my A21SE and Wd25TEx and go back to my Sugden A48II and Heybrook HB2s of way back then. Quite a relief actually - my system is fine at long last.
    Going to mono will have other effects on the sound which your one good ear might notice. Also (although I don't know) the brain may compensate to some degree after time. I'd stay as you were and just listen siting side on. I do that sometimes anyway although both ears seem to be okay.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm Grant.

Quote Originally Posted by Firebottle View Post
    It is actually 15.625kHz.
    That comes from 625 lines (picture scan) x 25 frames per second = 15.625kHz.

To be even more pedantic a full frames is made up from two half frames of 312.5 lines scanned at 50Hz (mains frequency).
    Alternate lines are scanned every half frame but the result is the same, 312.5 x 50 = 15.625kHz.
    pedantic indeed alan
    Regards,

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast