+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: I think I need to give up Hi-Fi

I'm Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by Pigmy Pony View Post
    The upper limit of my hearing is less than 10k, but my speakers' ability to go way beyond that won't be lost on me, it will still have an effect on lower frequencies. My advice: forget the YouTube clip and carry on loving what you love.
    Exactly!
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm Steve.

Quote Originally Posted by walpurgis View Post
    I'm deaf in one ear and daft in the other!
    Like Captain Kirk, I have three.
    I just dropped in, to see what condition my condition was in

T/T: Inspire Monarch, X200 tonearm, Ortofon Quintet Blue. Phono: Project Tube Box CD: Marantz CD6006 (UK Edition); Amp: Musical Fidelity A5 Integrated.
    Speakers: Zu Omen Def, REL T9i subwoofer. Cables: Atlas Equator interconnects, Atlas Hyper 3.0 speaker cables

T'other system:
    Echo Dot, Amptastic Mini One,Arcam A75 integrated, Celestion 5's, BK XLS-200 DF

A/V:
    LG 55" OLED, Panasonic Blu Ray, Sony a/v amp, MA Radius speakers, REL Storm sub

Forget the past, it's gone. And don't worry about the future, it doesn't exist. There is only NOW.

KICKSTARTER: ENABLING SCAMMERS SINCE 2009

I'm openingabottleofwine.

In line with others here, I would concur that despite some hearing loss there is no need for you to 'give up Hi-Fi'. Also, I wouldn't place too much credence in any on-line hearing tests.

Here's what I wrote about my own experiences: https://theartofsound.net/forum/show...-Don%92t-Panic!

Happy listening!
    Barry

I'm inthescottishmafia.

As other have said, 14k is plenty and there are many in their 50’s who can only hear to that.

I’ve always been very careful with my hearing, as a result according to various apps I’ve tried I can still hear to around 17.5k, pretty good for 51 (52 in a couple of months). I did have exceptional high frequency hearing when I was young.

I have recently developed Meniers in one ear though. Luckily it’s pretty minor at the moment and seems to come and go, but I do get some tinnitus in my right ear now and then. It’s at a low level though and doesn’t seem to detract at all from my enjoyment of my system, and I can still easily pick up subtle changes, so I’d say carry on!
    “Music has always been a matter of energy to me, a question of fuel. Sentimental people call it inspiration, but what they really mean is fuel. I have always needed fuel. I am a serious consumer. On some nights I still believe that a car with the gas needle on empty can run about fifty more miles if you have the right music very loud on the radio”

Hunter S Thompson

I'm Alan.

Doing well there Ali

I have a little tinnitus but it doesn't detract from the enjoyment of music at all.

I'm Geoff.

I have a bit of tinnitus too, but keep forgetting I've got it. Some days I haven't.
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm John.

Quote Originally Posted by Pigmy Pony View Post
    Like Captain Kirk, I have three.
    Liar, his was the final one.

I'm Grant.

I've a lit of tinnitus. Had it when younger but it eased off. But now my neck it creasing the blood vessels and nerves that go up, some of them to the ears so tinnitus is back as is a tunnel hearing at times. Spondylosis is a bugger. Painful too.
    So if you've just got 14k your doing well enough.
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by struth View Post
    Spondylosis is a bugger. Painful too.
    I was diagnosed with it a few years ago, but it went. I thought it was incurable.

Tinnitus has reduced a lot since my neck surgery too.

I'm Andrew.

I managed a little over 15K. Quite happy with that!
    SS
    CD Teac VRDS25X(Audiotuned) DECK 1210 Mat Crystal Audio Mods MN Base/Bearing/Platter+Ebony armboard Feet Isonoe PSU Paul Hynes SR7EHD-27XL/DCSXL Ag DC lead/3 Stage Regs/Recap PCB+No Pitch/Strobe/Light ARM SME V(Kondo Ag Rewire&Tags) MC Cadenza Black FGS CABLES Arm Yannis SPD-4 IC Yannis 222 Litz+Ag bullets Power WAR PRE ATC SCA2 SPEAKERS ATC 50ASL STANDS Atacama PHONO Sugden Masterclass PA4 SUT Ortofon ST80SE POWER PSAudio P10

VALVE
    PRE
    Croft Epoch(Modded) AMP Sondex S100 (Modded) SPEAKERS Tannoy 15"MG+RFC Warwick cabs+ Ref XO + Batpure supertweeters DECK Garrard 301 Mat Teunto Bearings 401(Bastin) Plinth Bamboo Arms 3009/3012 PSU Eagle+Tachometer MC Ag Meister II/FGS + Ortofon SPU MONO CABLES Arm Yannis 420.5 Litz+ SpeakerPC Tripple C+WBT-0681 Ag IC Oyaide FTVS-510 AgWBT 0110Ag Phonostages Paradise(4 Box Mega-Modded) / Croft Musicmaker

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast