+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Let’s Go Old School!

I'm Phil.

Default Let’s Go Old School!

Hands up who knows about retro / vintage Hi-Fi?

I’ve had a notion to try something big and ugly form 30-40 years ago, maybe even older. Right now I have Meridian digital active speakers and everything is 2-channel. No vinyl, just digital music or TV. I’m not in to critical listening any more- no time, patience, or money to chase sanitised perfection. My speakers are placed out the way of the kids and we have it on loud when pottering about. I only sit down to watch live sports as the flatscreen telly sounds garbage, as we all know.

So if I can get something that sounds good with all types of music (particularly classic rock and modern dance), is unfussy about placement, has a warm, full sound, that knows how groove that would be great.
    Oh, and deep bass wouldn’t go amiss either. Room size I’ll have to check.

Generalisations aside, where do I start? I have no experience of brands like Celestion, Tannoy, JBL and the like. How would they be described? Sweeping statements and cliches are fine at this point! And it’s the same for the amp; 60s valve... 70s monster receiver.... what to get, what to avoid...

I really need ‘The Dummies Guuide to...’ book for this.

Cheers

I'm Rob.

Phil, get yourself a PA type set up...I did...got rid of it and regretted it. I had a mint pair of Jamo Pro 400's with a 15" bass and 6 tweeters. Monster size and weight. They were so sensitive you could run them with a wet finger and a piece of wire (with the wind in the right direction ) I thought that as it was not "hifi" I should be more sensible and concentrate on "proper" kit. Do yourself a favour and rock da house.
    Buy Bose...And get your parking validated!.

https://youtu.be/ZCBe7-6rw4M

No Highs...No Lows....It Must Be Bose!

I'm Phil.

Cheers Rob, how would you categorise a PA system for domestic use?

I'm Graham.

I am probably biased but a set of seventies JBL studio monitors 4310/4311/4312 would be ideal. There was a fabulous pair of L 100 (the domestic equivalent) sold here recently for about 600 pounds. I have used to have big Tannoy's but for rock and dance, the JBLs groove better and kick serious bass.
    Last edited by graham67; 27-12-2019 at 20:34.

I'm Phil.

Cheers Graham. What sort of amplification do they do best with?

I'm Graham.

I use mine with a 20 year old YBA Integre DT integrated. Only 50w but almost doubles into 4ohm and happy to drive down to 2ohms. The YBA is quite pacey without getting ragged so suits the JBLs much better than big power smoother amps such as moon, primare, krell, belles, AVI, pioneer i have tried or owned. They also sounded nice with a Sugden ANV-50 also 50 watts but switch mode power supply.
    For a vintage system, an older quality receiver or amp should be good. I heard these JBLs with a lovely top of the range mid 70s wooden cased Yamaha and it was lovely. So i imagine a top end 70s Sansui should also work well.

I'm Phil.

I must admit the period look does have some charm.

Thanks for that.

I'm Martyn.

Be careful using true PA speakers. I run a PA system and know what PA speakers can sound like on a domestic audio
    system.
    PA speakers are designed to ‘throw’ the sound forward into what is often an open space.
    I have a pair of Black Dwarf speakers from the ‘80s and they really do project the sound.
    They have two 8” Volt drivers in each cabinet, plus a directional tweeter.
    I’m not sure which make, as they are hidden under the directional lens on each cabinet.

I also use JBL Control 5s for smaller indoor venues. They don’t handle as much power as the Dwarf Speakers,
    but are very clear and open.
    I tried them on a domestic system.
    They are OK, but nothing special.
    My PA is driven by a Quad 405. Some PA amps. are rather grim, especially at the lower end of the market.
    The 405 cost me about £120. A new PA amp for that money isn’t up to much.
    When buying second hand amplifiers you have to be careful.
    They may have been heavily used.

I'm Phil.

Thanks for input Martin, good to know ��

I'm Graham.

This immaculate Philips amp looks great value and should drive JBLs nicely.

https://theartofsound.net/forum/show...ighlight=tulip

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast