+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Project classic upgrade

I'm Ian.

I would need a headphone amp with the elex would I be better to stick with rega for that also? I have b&w headphones.

I'm Dave.

Why not, unless you want to go for something far more exotic and expensive.

I'm Mike.

Ok so i'd go along with Dave about the Audio Technica Cart a mate of mine has the VM750SH and to my ears it puts the 2m Black in the shade, that being said his is on a Planar 2 with a Rega arm so it may sound different on your deck. I have a RPM 6 SB with a Dynavector 10x5 and i must say i prefer the sound of my mates VM, also as others have said a better phone stage will improve things greatly, maybe have a look at the Project offerings i've got a Tube Box which you should be able to pick up 2nd hand off ebay for not much money and that mated with the AT cart should give you great sound and deep bass.

As the late Colonel Sanders once said
    "I'm too drunk to taste this chicken!!"

I'm Gordon.

I have to agree with Mike re the AT VM750SH..... which is a fantastic cartridge for the price (especially if you can secure a 'deal').
    I bought one recently to put into a Jelco / Garrard 401 combination and it strikes me as being head and shoulders above a 2M Black. However, as with most things Hi-Fi it could come down to personal preference.
    With regards to your other components, have you tried the couple of excellent dealers just over the bridge in Fife, or even Hi-Fi Corner over the other bridge? All pretty helpful with advice and loaning equipment.

I'm Mike.

Quote Originally Posted by WullieD20 View Post
    With regards to your other components, have you tried the couple of excellent dealers just over the bridge in Fife, or even Hi-Fi Corner over the other bridge? All pretty helpful with advice and loaning equipment.
    Must admit HiFi Corner are a nice buch to deal with

I'm Mike.

It will sell for more than this but there are plenty around, my point is for about £100 if you don't like the sound it makes move it on

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Pro-Ject-...8AAOSwgAdeuXNA

I'm Ian.

Thanks lads, why does there have to be so much choice lol
    Think I will defo try a different cartridge than the ortofon as I’ve had the red & blue in my last turntable and now the silver in this one....... still can’t decide on a make/model of amp though. ��
    Last edited by Tisinthepark; 13-05-2020 at 17:47.

I'm Mike.

Finally getting my new amp next weekend so i'll be saying goodby to the Marantz i'm currently using, i was thinking i'd keep it and stick it into another system, but honestly in all likelihood it would sit unused on a shelf and in my opinion that's the kiss of death for an amp and not the end i want for what in my opinion is a great sounding piece of kit in like new condition, i'd honestly rather see it go in a blue flash and a puff of smoke rockin away with the volume up to 11.

I'm Ian.

Ok my heads mince after reading review after review of various amps, I now have a new question
    I have a marantz CD player hooked up to my rotel amp aswell as my turntable, so I was thinking of just keeping the rotel for my CDs and buying a dedicated amp for my turntable would this be a better way to go and better sound for my vinyl?
    And if so what dedicated amps are the ones to go for? Thanks again for your help it’s much appreciated

I'm Dave.

Why not buy a better amp with a good internal phono stage ? Rega Elex-r, for instance.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast