+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Project classic upgrade

I'm Ian.

Default Project classic upgrade

I’ve just upgraded the plastic sub platter now looking at upgrading the cartridge from the silver to 2m black but I’m reading a few bad reviews about the black. Any help out there.
    My amp is the rotel a10 and b&w 686 s2 speakers any help greatly appreciated may upgrade the amp later.

I'm Paul.

Just out of curiosity what is your current system lacking that makes you feel the need to upgrade, given that most need to upgrade often only needs to another need to upgrade when it turned out your upgrade was not the sort of upgrade you were expecting.

Note all the pointless upgrades there, they are there for a reason.

The gear we have is often better than we think.
    Current setup Thorens TD-160 Mk1 with Denon DL-110 MC Cartridge, Pioneer PD-8700 CD Player, Yamaha AX-592 Amp, Yamaha CDX-810 CD Player, Yamaha KX-480 Cassette Deck, Yamaha TX-492RDS Tuner, Monitor Audio Bronze 5 speakers, Van-Damme Cables throughout.

I'm Ian.

Great question Paul, not sure what it’s lacking to be honest as most my vinyl sound better than my CDs (I hear more)but if it can be upgraded I need to hear it......�� and I’ve read that the black separates the instruments more which interests me....

I'm John.

I would say, with the rest of your system you won't reap the benefits of a jump to the Black (and its a pig to install spot bollock to get the best from it due to the shibata stylus).
    If you really want to move up with your cart then just get a blue stylus. The Silver is basically a Red but with silver coils (though not a full bronze/black coil pack) the blue will give you a Nude elliptical over and above the bonded of the red. Getting a replacement blue stylus would also mean not having to install a new cart from scratch but still be an upgrade in SQ. Just keep the silver stylus should you have an accident at a later date.

Sent from my I3312 using Tapatalk
    Money may not make me happy.
    But it helps me afford the kind of misery I prefer.

SYSTEM 1:

Analogue.
    Brinkmann Bardo / 12" OL Enterprise Mk4 / Koetsu Rosewood Signature Platinum /BigBottle mk3 /MFA Baby Reference Pre/Nord One UP SE NC500M/Martin Logan Summit

Digital.
    Docet Lector CDP-7TL mkiii/Pimped Bluesound Node2 + BOTW SBooster Lps/ Pimped Mk1 Jolida Fx Glass DAC.

Wires etc.
    Audioplan Musicable ICs & TQ Black ll SC, assorted branded kettle leads.
    Target TT shelf & Alphason 5 shelf rack.
    Power Inspired AG1500S mains regen.

SYSTEM 2: Back to the 80s.

Garrard 401, RB250, A&R P77Mg / Mk1 Marantz CD63 SE / Sony TC-FX150 / Sansui T500L / Cambridge Audio C50 + 2x A50 as bridged monos (mid 80s Stan Curtis's design) / or KEF 104ab/ Original 80s Monster Cable IC, DNM SC / Target 5 shelf rack.

SPARE KIT:
    A&R E77Mg
    Ortofon 2M Silver + Blue stylus
    Philips CD600
    Arcam Alpha 8P
    Pro-Ject DacBox S FL
    CCA
    FiiO Taishan
    Heybrook HB1 S2
    Q Acoustics 3050

I'm Ian.

Lurch would you upgrade the amp or speakers first before the cartridge to reap the benefits of the 2m black? What difference would I notice with just the blue stylus and the silver cart.

I'm John.

I would say the Blue would be more expressive and detailed as the nude stylus makes for a lighter more nimble assembly. I understand your desire to jump to the black, but as I said its a pig to setup correctly vta, asymuth & zenith need to be spot on for it to sing. If you feel you really have to move up the cart food chain then look at the Bronze (a more melodic presentation) or the Goldring 1042.

Have just googled you amp and whilst it says it has a very good mm stage and is a decent budget amp, I don't believe it would do a cart like the 2M black justice. However at this point I would stick with what you have amp d speaker wise. Once lock down is finished you will be able to listen to other stuff being fed by your tt to see what your ears think.

Sent from my I3312 using Tapatalk
    Money may not make me happy.
    But it helps me afford the kind of misery I prefer.

SYSTEM 1:

Analogue.
    Brinkmann Bardo / 12" OL Enterprise Mk4 / Koetsu Rosewood Signature Platinum /BigBottle mk3 /MFA Baby Reference Pre/Nord One UP SE NC500M/Martin Logan Summit

Digital.
    Docet Lector CDP-7TL mkiii/Pimped Bluesound Node2 + BOTW SBooster Lps/ Pimped Mk1 Jolida Fx Glass DAC.

Wires etc.
    Audioplan Musicable ICs & TQ Black ll SC, assorted branded kettle leads.
    Target TT shelf & Alphason 5 shelf rack.
    Power Inspired AG1500S mains regen.

SYSTEM 2: Back to the 80s.

Garrard 401, RB250, A&R P77Mg / Mk1 Marantz CD63 SE / Sony TC-FX150 / Sansui T500L / Cambridge Audio C50 + 2x A50 as bridged monos (mid 80s Stan Curtis's design) / or KEF 104ab/ Original 80s Monster Cable IC, DNM SC / Target 5 shelf rack.

SPARE KIT:
    A&R E77Mg
    Ortofon 2M Silver + Blue stylus
    Philips CD600
    Arcam Alpha 8P
    Pro-Ject DacBox S FL
    CCA
    FiiO Taishan
    Heybrook HB1 S2
    Q Acoustics 3050

I'm Dave.

Quote Originally Posted by Tisinthepark View Post
    I’ve just upgraded the plastic sub platter now looking at upgrading the cartridge from the silver to 2m black but I’m reading a few bad reviews about the black. Any help out there.
    My amp is the rotel a10 and b&w 686 s2 speakers any help greatly appreciated may upgrade the amp later.
    I'm not a fan of the 2M cartridges finding them thin and bright. If you want the benefits of a better tip, look at the Audio Technica VM range for great value and superb performance.

Also the phono stage in the Rotel isn't great, so I would suggest you investigate a separate unit before ditching your present cartridge.

I'm Ian.

Unfortunately up here we don’t have many stores where I can audition many amps are there any you guys would recommend to go with my system?

I'm Ian.

Rega elex-r?

I'm Dave.

Perfect or the Elicit-r if the budget allows. Both have very good internal phono stages.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast