+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Hi from Cheshire (again!)

I'm Chris.

Default Hi from Cheshire (again!)

Hello all, Chris from sunny Cheshire here. Mid 60s, been tinkering with electronics for as long as I can remember. Officially trained to do so by H.M. Government in the1970s at Bletchley Park (we had no idea of its amazing history then) and though my career path subsequently diverged considerably since, I have always kept an interest.

Currently seeking the perfect sound system from a mixture of DIY and commercial products, aren't we all? Also building a monster analogue synthesiser as well as other electronic music items.

I decided I'd better stop lurking here and expose myself, so to speak.

Thank you for reading this far!

I'm openingabottleofwine.

Welcome to AoS Chris,

Was Bletchley Park still operational in the '70s? I thought all the work had been moved to Cheltenham. Agree about the amazing history - especially how the Lorentz encryption machine was 'reverse engineered' simply from a study of the encrypted traffic.

Anyway let us know how you get with your DIY projects. What are your tastes in music?

Enjoy the Forum
    Barry
    Barry

I'm Shane.

Howdy! Welcome to AOS.

Have fun.

S.
    Shane Lonergan.

I'm Chris.

Thank you both for the warm welcome!

I was at Bletchley Park from 1976 to 1979 with the Civil Aviation Authority training to be a telecoms and aircraft navaids engineer. There was also a large GPO (as it was then or maybe just Post Office) presence, also training their engineers, a teacher training college and supposedly a spy school which I think moved to GCHQ in later years. We lived in, and our classrooms and bedrooms were some of the famous rooms where the decoding work was done in the war. Amazing work, of which we knew nothing at the time.

After some of it had been restored and opened to the public I visited and found my old bedroom was part of the gift shop!

Musical tastes change with the seasons but right now it is definitely late Talk Talk, sublime music.

I'm Pete.

Hi Chris
    Welcome to AOS
    Talk talk excellent band

I'm Geoff.

Hello Chris. Welcome to AOS.

Sounds as though you have useful practical knowledge, so if you are involved in DIY projects we'd like to hear about them.

Enjoy the forum,
    Geoff.
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm Chris.

OK and thank you for the kind words. I certainly will do if I think I have something useful to contribute. I'm presently waiting for a set of boards for an LDR preamp from Chris on here as my next build project so there may be the odd tweak or 2 with that.....

+ Reply to Thread