+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: If you had £1300 to spend on a Tonearm?

I'm Mike.

Default If you had £1300 to spend on a Tonearm?

Thinking about selling my Fidelity Research FR64FX arm, in fact I had it advertised last week then withdrew it as I changed my mind, I'm swithering again

However, can I better it if I did sell it, and with a budget of around £1325 ( I choose this figure as that's what I've been quoted for another second hand upgraded arm I'm looking at, which is essentially retail price for that arm if you know what I mean ) can I do better that the Fidelity?

I like Electronic, Rock ( classic/soft/metal/prog ), Blues ( Keb 'Mo/SRV ), some Americana to give you an idea of my tastes.

I've been reading up on the AO PU7, The Wand Plus, Audio Technica 1010T ( modded by Phonomac ), Tiger Paw Javelin, plus a few others.

This will be fitted to a Panzerholz plinth using an SP10 mk2 turntable, my Fidelity arm is 230mm pivot to spindle so this seemingly works/looks fine, I'm not averse to using 10" or 12" arms, I just want the best sound for the best price, so I'm looking at used prices.

Hana ML cartridge in use just now.

Spec:

Stylus: Nude Microline
    Cantilever: Aluminium
    Magnet: Alnico
    Rec. Tracking Force: 2g
    Trackability: 70µ/2g
    Compliance: 10×10-6 cm/dyne
    Channel Separation: 30dB @ 1kHz
    Frequency Range: 12Hz to 45kHz
    Impedance: 8Ω (ML)
    Suggested Load Impedance: <100Ω (ML)
    Suggested Load Impedance: 47kΩ (MH)
    Cartridge Weight: 9.5g

Any thoughts?

I'll be posting this very same message on several Forums to gather opinions, be interesting to read the results.

Thanks

I'm mark.

I've got the same FR, its possibly on my list to move on as I feel I've got better arms (12"PU7,SME4) however, it's the only one with detachable headshell which does add quite a lot of flexibility.

Its heavy effective mass, 20g may not suit the cart, however I've never heard a 103 sound as good as it does in the Fr. There may be compatibility issues??

I'm Dave.

I'd keep it unless you can find a 64S.

I'm Mike.

Quote Originally Posted by DiveDeepDog View Post
    I've got the same FR, its possibly on my list to move on as I feel I've got better arms (12"PU7,SME4) however, it's the only one with detachable headshell which does add quite a lot of flexibility.

Its heavy effective mass, 20g may not suit the cart, however I've never heard a 103 sound as good as it does in the Fr. There may be compatibility issues??
    Swappable headshell is definitely a plus, however my cart swapping days are pretty much done as I like the Hana so much so the headshell isn't as important as it used to be.

I had a 103r prior to the Hana which I really liked, I've had a Zu version of the 103 too, the Hana suits me better.

Vinyl engine resonance calculator puts the Hana at just over 9 on the FR arm so it's a fair match I'd say?

Phonomac ( Angus ) has fettled my FR arm so it's sounding better than it's ever did and I'm not 100% convinced it's the right decision to sell it yet.

Location: Banbury, Oxfordshire/Panteg is where my late father was born

I'm Chris.

I wouldn't sell it in any hurry if I were you, very nice arm and apparently a great match for the Voyd which I use, currently fitted with an SME V.

I thought about seeking one out but I'm very happy with my V.
    Chris

We've gone on holiday by mistake !

I'm jamie.

imo a pmat-1010 mk6. once the lock down is over give angus a shout,im sure he will let you hear one.
    My System
    John Wood KT88 Amp.
    Paradise Phono Stage
    Sony TTS-8000 Turntable.
    PMAT-1010 MK6 Tonearm.
    Ortofon Cadenza Bronze
    Sony X555ES Cd Player
    Yamaha NS1000m Speakers

I'm Adrian.

If you really want to sell it, look at these https://www.jelco-ichikawa.co.jp/cn3/tk-850m_mk2.html or https://www.jelco-ichikawa.co.jp/cn3/tk-850l_mk2.html , you might want to also read up on the TK-950 range but I was told that tonally not as good as the TK850's. I believe JELCO make many arms for other companies and have done for years.

I had a tk-850m on a Voyd TT and it was excellent, in fact it replaced an SME IV which I traded on. I mounted mine on a http://www.purusaudio.pt/easyVTA.html which made it perfect fo quick and accurate set up when switching headshells, cartridges.

Hugo at Ammonite sells them at a good price and offer advise.https://ammonite-audio.co.uk/product...logue/tonearm/
    Listening is the act of aural discrimination and dissemination of sound, and accepting you get it wrong sometimes.

Analog Inputs: Pro-Ject Signature 10 TT & arm, Benz Micro LP-S, Michel Cusis MC, Goldring 2500 and Ortofon Rondo Blue cartridges, Hitachi FT5500 mk2 Tuner

Digital:- Marantz SA-KI Pearl CD player, RaspberryPi/HifiBerry Digi+ Pro, Buffalo NAS Drive

Amplification:- AudioValve Sunilda phono stage, Krell KSP-7B pre-amp, Krell KSA-80 power amp

Output: Wilson Benesch Vector speakers, KLH Ultimate One Headphones

Cables: Tellurium Q Ultra Black II RCA & Chord Epic 2 RCA, various speaker leads, & links

I think I am nearing audio nirvana, but don’t tell anyone.

I'm Charlie.

Quote Originally Posted by hifi_dave View Post
    I'd keep it unless you can find a 64S.
    +1

Your budget won't get a significant improvement on the FR64FX. The FR64 series arms were true high end back in the 80s. The AT1010 is a very fine arm, but it would just be different, rather than better.
    R2R: Studer A820 1/2 inch 2 track; Otari MTR-12 1/4 inch 2 track; Sony APR 5003; Sony APR 5002; Studer A807/II. Vinyl: Platine Verdier Allaerts MC1B/Schroeder Reference & Model 2 Decca C4E/Hadcock 228 TRON Seven Reference phono. Keith Monks MkII RCM Other analogue source: Nakamichi Dragon with ANT4066 mods. Amplification: TRON Meteor preamp TRON Voyager 20B SET power. Speakers: Avantgarde Duo. Digital: computing at last with Prism Sound Lyra 2 A2D converter

I'm jamie.

an unmodified one maybe but these arms are taken to a very high level by angus.have you heard one to form your opinion?
    My System
    John Wood KT88 Amp.
    Paradise Phono Stage
    Sony TTS-8000 Turntable.
    PMAT-1010 MK6 Tonearm.
    Ortofon Cadenza Bronze
    Sony X555ES Cd Player
    Yamaha NS1000m Speakers

I'm Mike.

Many thanks for all the help and suggestions, I'm now busy reading up on them all and checking specs to see if compatible with the Hana.

Keep me busy for a while

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast