+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Best power amp for £300-400 sh

I'm Julian.

Default Best power amp for £300-400 sh

Hi All,
    Hope everyone is safe and surviving the lockdown...
    There are a few power amps online that I could previously not afford, but are now coming in at more tasty prices, around £300-400ish online. (Some a bit more, some a bit less).
    Have seen Arcam Delta 290P, Cyrus Smartpower, Cyrus MBLOC, Naim NAP 150. NAP 200 (not DR version), Linn KK85/100/140, Audiolab MPower, Exposure 2010?
    Which is the best one for sound quality at this sort of outlay? Looking to use it with modified Ruark Swordsman (new scanspeak and Vifa drivers), Sony SACD and Kenwood L1000C pre amp.
    Looking for detail, clarity and good weighty sound (like most of us I believe). Not worried about Din connectors on Naim as can get RCA adaptor.
    Feeling like getting a bargain on one of these as they were all 4 figures new I believe.
    Cheers
    Last edited by fletchdirect; 09-05-2020 at 09:41.

I'm Geoff.

I'm driving a pair of Swordsman Plus speakers with a Quad 306 and it all sounds very nice.
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm Chris.

I'm Bob.

If you're looking to broaden your list I'd look at the Musical Fidelity A5cr power amp.

255 watts into 8 ohms, can deliver up to 200 Amps with a rich, creamy bass and will drive anything you throw at it. But it weighs 19kg and chews it's way through 70 watts just at idle.

A lot has changed in my evolving system over the last 20 years but this has remained a constant. Should come in around your budget if you can find one, but they do tend to hold their price well.
    Source: Orbe SE / SME IV / Cadenza Bronze
    Source: WD NAS / Cyrus Stream X2 / Chord DAVE
    Source: Oppo UDP-205 (CD/DVD-A/SACD)

Amplification: Icon Audio PS 3 Sig Phono + Audio Research LS27 + Musical Fidelity A5cr Power Amp
    Loudspeakers: ProAc Response D28
    Cables/stands: Mark Grant G1500HD + Linn K20 + Cat 5e
    Other bits: Okki Nokki keeping things clean

I'm Lee.

I've been looking at the price range. Rega Brio comes to mind, as do icepower amps off ebay https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/ICEPOWER-...e/263366824597 or https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/ICEPOWER-...e/114123306794 if you don't fancy one from China
    Cheers Lee

I'm Pavel.

Judging by the pics, Icepower amps from eBay contain just the amplifier module itself. Icepower modules really need a buffer on the input because these modules have a very low input impedance. I believe this XTZ amplifier has an input buffer fitted from the factory: https://www.xtzsound.eu/product/edge-a2-300

I'm Chris.

Quote Originally Posted by Shovel_Knight View Post
    Judging by the pics, Icepower amps from eBay contain just the amplifier module itself. Icepower modules really need a buffer on the input because these modules have a very low input impedance. I believe this XTZ amplifier has an input buffer fitted from the factory: https://www.xtzsound.eu/product/edge-a2-300
    And excessive lack of sensitivity typically a ridiculous 7 volts for full output, which means they are not good with matching to other equipment.

I'm David.

Well spotted LDR.

I'm Pete.

You might be lucky and spot a pair of Meridian 205 monoblocks within your price range.

+ Reply to Thread