+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Beyerdynamic DTX 900 foam earpads

I'm Dave.

Default Beyerdynamic DTX 900 foam earpads

I really like my Beyerdynamic DTX 900 headphones, but the earpads are wearing out - and are generally a lot worse for wear. Is it possible to replace these easily, or do I have to assign these headphones (sadly) to the junk drawer, and replace them with something similar or better?

If the latter, what would be a good recommendation - up to (say) £150.

In the first instance I'd like to get these fixed, if possible - the units are still working well.
    Dave

I'm James.

Dave, I bought some beyerdynamic dt990 pro a while back, I dont normally like headphones but these are great, around £105 if you cant get yours fixed
    novafidelity x40 music server/pre/dac, Arcam A39, roksan k3 power amp,Monitor Audio Monitor 50, Dali spektor 1, van damme interconnects and speaker cable, roskan k3 CD player

I'm Pete.

just looked on google there are a great many suppliers for the dtx900... as an example

https://www.aliexpress.com/i/4000157...5d671657800-43
    Last edited by zanash; 21-05-2020 at 15:23. Reason: grammer

I'm Gary.

Pete,
    your still truckin!

remember you from back in the day on the old forums, and they say nostalgia ain't what it used to be.
    Last edited by Gazjam; 26-05-2020 at 00:17.
    AC POWER
    Hardwired 10kVA balanced mains powering entire system
    AMPS
    Meridian 557 power Amp (Modded) / PS Audio BHK Preamp (Modded)
    SPEAKERS
    Wharfedale Evo 4.4
    DAC
    PS Audio Directstream (Modded)
    TURNTABLE
    Pro-Ject X8 balanced output via XLR / Ortofon Quintet Blue cartridge
    PHONOSTAGE
    Pro-Ject DS3 B balanced Input (TT and Phonostage powered by Pro-Ject Power box RS2 linear psu)
    DIGITAL
    OPPO 203 (Modded: Linear PSU, i2s output to Dac) - Roon Endpoint, HDMI input used for all things Streaming/ PS5 /AppleTV ... also good for movies apparently?
    MUSIC PLAYBACK
    Tweaked AP-Linux based Roon Server into Oppo 203 as Roon endpoint
    Ipad Roon Remote.
    Apple Music/ YouTube via AppleTV, fed to Dac via Oppo HDMI input/i2s output to Dac.
    SPEAKER CABLES
    Biwired: Duelund DCA10GA (Bass) Duelund DCA16GA (mid & treble) Duelund 12DCA used as jumpers (On
    "Blackcat Cable" Chris Sommivigo's advice - yup, even with biwire it sounds better - and it does)
    INTERCONNECTS
    All Balanced: Ghost+ recording studio XLR cables

I'm Lawrence.

I remember a picture of some sort of monster or weird cat like creature years ago on some forums, was that Zanash?

I'm Gary.

That was the Guy...

very knowledgeable and helpful, knew a lot of things about a lot of things.
    Helped me out a few times back in the day.
    AC POWER
    Hardwired 10kVA balanced mains powering entire system
    AMPS
    Meridian 557 power Amp (Modded) / PS Audio BHK Preamp (Modded)
    SPEAKERS
    Wharfedale Evo 4.4
    DAC
    PS Audio Directstream (Modded)
    TURNTABLE
    Pro-Ject X8 balanced output via XLR / Ortofon Quintet Blue cartridge
    PHONOSTAGE
    Pro-Ject DS3 B balanced Input (TT and Phonostage powered by Pro-Ject Power box RS2 linear psu)
    DIGITAL
    OPPO 203 (Modded: Linear PSU, i2s output to Dac) - Roon Endpoint, HDMI input used for all things Streaming/ PS5 /AppleTV ... also good for movies apparently?
    MUSIC PLAYBACK
    Tweaked AP-Linux based Roon Server into Oppo 203 as Roon endpoint
    Ipad Roon Remote.
    Apple Music/ YouTube via AppleTV, fed to Dac via Oppo HDMI input/i2s output to Dac.
    SPEAKER CABLES
    Biwired: Duelund DCA10GA (Bass) Duelund DCA16GA (mid & treble) Duelund 12DCA used as jumpers (On
    "Blackcat Cable" Chris Sommivigo's advice - yup, even with biwire it sounds better - and it does)
    INTERCONNECTS
    All Balanced: Ghost+ recording studio XLR cables

I'm Lawrence.

Quote Originally Posted by Gazjam View Post
    That was the Guy...

very knowledgeable and helpful, knew a lot of things about a lot of things.
    Helped me out a few times back in the day.
    Great to have him still around I remember reading lots of his posts in the past when I was doing my hi-fi research on the internet.

I'm Dave.

Quote Originally Posted by Pieoftheday View Post
    Dave, I bought some beyerdynamic dt990 pro a while back, I dont normally like headphones but these are great, around £105 if you cant get yours fixed
    Thanks for the suggestion. Are these open or closed type?

I have ordered some cushions, but they'll take a while and I don't know if they'll actually fit easily or be any good. I might buy the DT990 Pros suggested while I wait!

Are there any other good headphones in the price range I suggested? The top seller on Thomann.de seems to be the Beyerdynamic DT770 but it's not necessarily the best just because it's popular.
    Dave

I'm James.

Quote Originally Posted by dave2010 View Post
    Thanks for the suggestion. Are these open or closed type?

I have ordered some cushions, but they'll take a while and I don't know if they'll actually fit easily or be any good. I might buy the DT990 Pros suggested while I wait!

Are there any other good headphones in the price range I suggested? The top seller on Thomann.de seems to be the Beyerdynamic DT770 but it's not necessarily the best just because it's popular.
    Open,
    novafidelity x40 music server/pre/dac, Arcam A39, roksan k3 power amp,Monitor Audio Monitor 50, Dali spektor 1, van damme interconnects and speaker cable, roskan k3 CD player

I'm Dave.

A quckie re the DT990 - which now seems cheapest at Thomann.de. This appears to have a coiled lead - is that normal nowadays, and are such coils a good idea? I think I've had both straight and coiled leads in the past - my current phones are either wireless or have straight leads.

Probably not a deal breaker, but I thought I'd ask. If there's a choice (which there may not be) which would be better - or probably just "depends"?
    Dave

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast