+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: I’m lockdown bored so recommend me a new MM cartridge

I'm Ian.

If you really are just fancying a change to stem the boredom why not try an Audio-Technica AT-VM95SH? Only £150 or so but sounds quite excellent. I moved to one when I fancied a change from a Zyx R50 Bloom and haven't gone back. It's a real bargain.

I'm Adrian.

Quote Originally Posted by worrasf View Post
    Just ordered one Adrian - should be here on Thursday.
    What VTF did you end up using?

Regards
    Steve
    I am running it at 1.7gm tracking weight, which is the nominal, and low bias about 1.2gm. It should work well in your JELCO I used to have a TK850M and used a couple of other similar weight cartridges in it at about 1.7 to 1.8gm and they tracked perfectly.

I also have put it through the HiFi news record test tracks and it passed with flying colours, it sounds very good IMO. I hope you think the same, don't blame me if not, we all have different ears and tastes.
    Listening is the act of aural discrimination and dissemination of sound, and accepting you get it wrong sometimes.

Analog Inputs: Pro-Ject Signature 10 TT & arm, Benz Micro LP-S, Michel Cusis MC, Goldring 2500 and Ortofon Rondo Blue cartridges, Hitachi FT5500 mk2 Tuner

Digital:- Marantz SA-KI Pearl CD player, RaspberryPi/HifiBerry Digi+ Pro, Buffalo NAS Drive

Amplification:- AudioValve Sunilda phono stage, Krell KSP-7B pre-amp, Krell KSA-80 power amp

Output: Wilson Benesch Vector speakers, KLH Ultimate One Headphones

Cables: Tellurium Q Ultra Black II RCA & Chord Epic 2 RCA, various speaker leads, & links

I think I am nearing audio nirvana, but don’t tell anyone.

I'm Stephen.

Quote Originally Posted by AJSki2fly View Post
    I hope you think the same, don't blame me if not, we all have different ears and tastes.
    No worries on that score
    Always a little further

I'm Stephen.

Quote Originally Posted by AJSki2fly View Post
    I am running it at 1.7gm tracking weight, which is the nominal, and low bias about 1.2gm. It should work well in your JELCO I used to have a TK850M and used a couple of other similar weight cartridges in it at about 1.7 to 1.8gm and they tracked perfectly.

I also have put it through the HiFi news record test tracks and it passed with flying colours, it sounds very good IMO. I hope you think the same, don't blame me if not, we all have different ears and tastes.
    Hi Adrian
    Well you are not wrong. The 2500 arrived earlier and is up and running. Setup was a doddle and as luck would have it total mass with headshell is virtually the same as the Decca I swapped out.

I’m very impressed with the Goldring 2500 bearing in mind it’s got zero hours on it.
    Tonally it’s very similar to my Decca Supergold. It doesn’t quite have the “bite” of the Decca so Rodrigo Y Gabriella guitar slaps don’t have quite the same hollow “knocking” but it has plenty of energy and pace. Bass extension isn’t as low but conversely it is able to resolve more detail in complex fast passages so double hits with percussion or double strums on guitar are audible whereas they sound a single note with the Decca. Top end like cymbals/high hat sound exactly the same as Decca “zingy and shiny” but not brittle or over hard.
    Its a very musical enjoyable cartridge which I guess will improve with more hours on it.

So thanks again for the suggestion

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Always a little further

I'm Adrian.

Quote Originally Posted by worrasf View Post
    Hi Adrian
    Well you are not wrong. The 2500 arrived earlier and is up and running. Setup was a doddle and as luck would have it total mass with headshell is virtually the same as the Decca I swapped out.

I’m very impressed with the Goldring 2500 bearing in mind it’s got zero hours on it.
    Tonally it’s very similar to my Decca Supergold. It doesn’t quite have the “bite” of the Decca so Rodrigo Y Gabriella guitar slaps don’t have quite the same hollow “knocking” but it has plenty of energy and pace. Bass extension isn’t as low but conversely it is able to resolve more detail in complex fast passages so double hits with percussion or double strums on guitar are audible whereas they sound a single note with the Decca. Top end like cymbals/high hat sound exactly the same as Decca “zingy and shiny” but not brittle or over hard.
    Its a very musical enjoyable cartridge which I guess will improve with more hours on it.

So thanks again for the suggestion

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Hi Stephen

Well you have just confirmed my thoughts on the Goldring 2500, I have found that it takes at least 15-20 hours for it to come on song so to speak. I use the first track from Ravi Shankar's Potrait of Genius album to test listen, this has tablas with varying hand hits and lovely hollow sounding drums as you described, the depth and hollowness improved with use and I believe bass extension and control as well.

Very pleased you like it.

Cheers

Adrian
    Listening is the act of aural discrimination and dissemination of sound, and accepting you get it wrong sometimes.

Analog Inputs: Pro-Ject Signature 10 TT & arm, Benz Micro LP-S, Michel Cusis MC, Goldring 2500 and Ortofon Rondo Blue cartridges, Hitachi FT5500 mk2 Tuner

Digital:- Marantz SA-KI Pearl CD player, RaspberryPi/HifiBerry Digi+ Pro, Buffalo NAS Drive

Amplification:- AudioValve Sunilda phono stage, Krell KSP-7B pre-amp, Krell KSA-80 power amp

Output: Wilson Benesch Vector speakers, KLH Ultimate One Headphones

Cables: Tellurium Q Ultra Black II RCA & Chord Epic 2 RCA, various speaker leads, & links

I think I am nearing audio nirvana, but don’t tell anyone.

I'm Gianfranco.

Nagaoka mp300 o mp500

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12