+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Amplifier recommendations please

I'm Andrew.

Default Amplifier recommendations please

For my Tannoys ( SRM12x )
    Nothing high end , £500-£1000 ( depends if I flog the counterpoint pre )
    OR I keep the pre and go with a power amp.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm Dennis.

I would in your position look perhaps at AVI stuff on Ebay.

I'm Andrew.

Quote Originally Posted by Pharos View Post
    I would in your position look perhaps at AVI stuff on Ebay.
    Thanks Dennis, will do

I'm Geoff.

Quad 909 or QSP would match the Tannoys. Bags of smooth effortless power and no nasties. Not sure one would work well with the Counterpoint though, but they are fine with a passive.
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm Andrew.

Quote Originally Posted by walpurgis View Post
    Quad 909 or QSP would match the Tannoys. Bags of smooth effortless power and no nasties. Not sure one would work well with the Counterpoint though, but they are fine with a passive.
    Yeah I missed out on a 909 a week or so ago

I'm Dennis.

I have just looked on Ebay and there are a few AVI amps on there from the S2000 series.

Martin Grindrod, the designer is very good, beautiful layout work and performance, and those amps are very good value.

I'm Dennis.

I've spent since my last post going through all of the power amplifiers on Ebay, and there is some really good value stuff there.

A pair of Croft monoblocks which are shown with his system using big Tannoys, numerous AVIs, numerous Naims, some Quad 303s, but I would not recommend them because they underdamp bass. Oh, and a 606.

I suggest you scan them and post what you are considering for the forum to offer vies and opinions.

I'm Andrew.

Quote Originally Posted by Pharos View Post
    I've spent since my last post going through all of the power amplifiers on Ebay, and there is some really good value stuff there.

A pair of Croft monoblocks which are shown with his system using big Tannoys, numerous AVIs, numerous Naims, some Quad 303s, but I would not recommend them because they underdamp bass. Oh, and a 606.

I suggest you scan them and post what you are considering for the forum to offer vies and opinions.
    Thanks for taking the time Dennis , getting a bloomin headache

I'm Geoff.

I have a custom made Odyssey Khartago Plus stereo power amp designed to drive my Magneplanars. I used it for a short time before changing to monoblocks. My version has upgraded components and power supply and a better case and is rated at 40 amps. It will drive anything. It is highly reviewed and sounds very clean and powerful. The only reasons i changed is that my equipment layout and speaker placement made a monoblock approach preferable. You can read a review of the standard amp here. https://www.theabsolutesound.com/art...reo-amplifier/

Let me know if you are interested.

I'm Andrew.

Quote Originally Posted by Sherwood View Post
    I have a custom made Odyssey Khartago Plus stereo power amp designed to drive my Magneplanars. I used it for a short time before changing to monoblocks. My version has upgraded components and power supply and a better case and is rated at 40 amps. It will drive anything. It is highly reviewed and sounds very clean and powerful. The only reasons i changed is that my equipment layout and speaker placement made a monoblock approach preferable. You can read a review of the standard amp here. https://www.theabsolutesound.com/art...reo-amplifier/

Let me know if you are interested.
    Pm sent

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast