+ Reply to Thread
Page 12 of 18 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 ... LastLast

Thread: Crap Weather for May

I'm joe.

Quote Originally Posted by Macca View Post
    I remember going to a Berni Inn in Blackpool, must have been about 1978 or a bit before.
    My very first 'meal out' (ie without parents and siblings) was at a Berni Inn in Liverpool somewhere, in the very late 60s or early 70s. My memory for that sort of thing is very poor so I can't remember whether the food was good, bad or meh, or where exactly the restaurant was. I think it was also the first time I drank red wine.

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

Quote Originally Posted by Pigmy Pony View Post
    Garden thermometer says 14C, and no clouds. Off to sunny Blackpool this morning. Someone has to get up on the roof to bring a boiler flue through the slates while clinging to a cat ladder, so that would be me. Should get a nice tan provided I don't fall off first
    Glad to see you back, farty-pants, as you'd disappeared for a few days!

Marco.
    "Count your age by friends, not years. Count your life by smiles, not tears” - John Lennon.

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace" - Jimi Hendrix.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

I'm Pete.

last time we had night out in blackpool cpl of years ago we stayed at metropole and you are rite it is now a dump but still has a lot of original features. Were supposed to be there next month for a pool tournament but that has been cancelled.

Quote Originally Posted by Joe View Post
    My very first 'meal out' (ie without parents and siblings) was at a Berni Inn in Liverpool somewhere, in the very late 60s or early 70s. My memory for that sort of thing is very poor so I can't remember whether the food was good, bad or meh, or where exactly the restaurant was. I think it was also the first time I drank red wine.
    Interesting... What age were you then, Joe? I'm quite a bit younger than you and was drinking red wine (admittedly diluted with water) not much later!

Being an only child back then, in a family with a reasonable disposable income, meant that I often accompanied my parents to 'posh' restaurants, as both (like me now) were major foodies. I think it's most likely what 'honed' my palate for fine food and wine in later life!

Marco.
    "Count your age by friends, not years. Count your life by smiles, not tears” - John Lennon.

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace" - Jimi Hendrix.

I'm joe.

Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post
    Interesting... What age were you then, Joe? I'm quite a bit younger than you and was drinking red wine (admittedly diluted with water) not much later!

Being an only child back then, in a family with a reasonable disposable income, meant that I often accompanied my parents to 'posh' restaurants, as both (like me now) were major foodies. I think it's most likely what 'honed' my palate for fine food and wine in later life!

Marco.
    I'd have been 16 or 17. I'd tasted beer a few years earlier, and hated it (we'd smuggled some cans of Tennant's on a school trip).

Far from my parents being 'major foodies', I can count the number of meals out with my family on the fingers of one hand. My older sister recently told me about one meal we'd had at a posh restaurant and being made to finish her soup, but it rang no bells with me.

Quote Originally Posted by Joe View Post
    Far from my parents being 'major foodies', I can count the number of meals out with my family on the fingers of one hand. My older sister recently told me about one meal we'd had at a posh restaurant and being made to finish her soup, but it rang no bells with me.
    Just different cultures... My parents weren't gourmets, far from it, but liked to eat well (as do most Italian families). My mum was a fabulous cook, so when they ate out the food had to be at least as good as my mum made at home, which predisposed them to dining in decent restaurants.

Marco.

I'm Robin.

Nice day around 22c at the moment
    Regards
    Robin

Acoustic Solid Wood MPX, Ortofon Quintet Bronze
    Primare I 32 amp
    Primare R 32 phono stage
    Arcam CDS50 Sacd Network Player
    ART Stiletto 6V3. Loudspeakers

I'm Martin.

Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post
    That would've probably been half decent. They were generally pretty consistent in quality and knew how to cook steak!

Marco.
    I remember it being excellent. Don't recall ever having a bad meal in a Berni. Used to go to the one in Old Hall Street in Liverpool about twice a year. Down in a basement. There was one on the Pier Head too but that was more expensive for no apparent reason. Only went there once Long gone now, even the building has been replaced.
    Current Lash Up:

*Oppo BDT-101CI* Nelson Pass DCB1 / Krell KSA100 mkII * JM Lab Electra 926 *

'You fool! To think that your ape-brain could contain the full knowledge of the Krell!'

I'm Martin.

Current Lash Up:

*Oppo BDT-101CI* Nelson Pass DCB1 / Krell KSA100 mkII * JM Lab Electra 926 *

'You fool! To think that your ape-brain could contain the full knowledge of the Krell!'

I'm Grant.

a roaster today.. took car out to a smallish service station m&s shop.. i went in and got a few things... first time ive met folk in 11 weeks.. i was shaking after it strange reaction; just shows tho
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    OPPO BDP-103D - JBE SERIES 3/B&O SP1/PROJECT PHONOBOX DS2 USB - QUAD VENA 2 - IFI PURIFIER 2/TWIN PRO MONOBLOCK POWER AMPLIFIERS - LEAF HD BLUETOOTH - OPPO PM-3 PLANAR, SONY H900 & NURAPHONE HEADPHONES - ZBOOK/ IFI SILENCER/WIN10 PRO/ROON - SMSL M6 DAC & IFI SILENCER - RPI 3+, DIGIONE HAT/VOLUMIO2 - EDINGDALE MK1 SPEAKERS - CABLE INC CHORD, MOGAMI, SUPRA & WIREWORLD

**Men are not punished for their sins, but by them**Don't be such a big girl's blouse!**
    ***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

RIP Terry... "We use only the finest baby frogs, dew picked and flown from Iraq, cleansed in finest quality spring water, lightly killed, and then sealed in a succulent Swiss quintuple smooth treble cream milk chocolate envelope and lovingly frosted with glucose."

+ Reply to Thread
Page 12 of 18 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 ... LastLast