+ Reply to Thread
Page 12 of 18 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 ... LastLast

Thread: Crap Weather for May

I'm joe.

Quote Originally Posted by Macca View Post
    I remember going to a Berni Inn in Blackpool, must have been about 1978 or a bit before.
    My very first 'meal out' (ie without parents and siblings) was at a Berni Inn in Liverpool somewhere, in the very late 60s or early 70s. My memory for that sort of thing is very poor so I can't remember whether the food was good, bad or meh, or where exactly the restaurant was. I think it was also the first time I drank red wine.

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

Quote Originally Posted by Pigmy Pony View Post
    Garden thermometer says 14C, and no clouds. Off to sunny Blackpool this morning. Someone has to get up on the roof to bring a boiler flue through the slates while clinging to a cat ladder, so that would be me. Should get a nice tan provided I don't fall off first
    Glad to see you back, farty-pants, as you'd disappeared for a few days!

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

I'm Pete.

last time we had night out in blackpool cpl of years ago we stayed at metropole and you are rite it is now a dump but still has a lot of original features. Were supposed to be there next month for a pool tournament but that has been cancelled.

Quote Originally Posted by Joe View Post
    My very first 'meal out' (ie without parents and siblings) was at a Berni Inn in Liverpool somewhere, in the very late 60s or early 70s. My memory for that sort of thing is very poor so I can't remember whether the food was good, bad or meh, or where exactly the restaurant was. I think it was also the first time I drank red wine.
    Interesting... What age were you then, Joe? I'm quite a bit younger than you and was drinking red wine (admittedly diluted with water) not much later!

Being an only child back then, in a family with a reasonable disposable income, meant that I often accompanied my parents to 'posh' restaurants, as both (like me now) were major foodies. I think it's most likely what 'honed' my palate for fine food and wine in later life!

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

I'm joe.

Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post
    Interesting... What age were you then, Joe? I'm quite a bit younger than you and was drinking red wine (admittedly diluted with water) not much later!

Being an only child back then, in a family with a reasonable disposable income, meant that I often accompanied my parents to 'posh' restaurants, as both (like me now) were major foodies. I think it's most likely what 'honed' my palate for fine food and wine in later life!

Marco.
    I'd have been 16 or 17. I'd tasted beer a few years earlier, and hated it (we'd smuggled some cans of Tennant's on a school trip).

Far from my parents being 'major foodies', I can count the number of meals out with my family on the fingers of one hand. My older sister recently told me about one meal we'd had at a posh restaurant and being made to finish her soup, but it rang no bells with me.

Quote Originally Posted by Joe View Post
    Far from my parents being 'major foodies', I can count the number of meals out with my family on the fingers of one hand. My older sister recently told me about one meal we'd had at a posh restaurant and being made to finish her soup, but it rang no bells with me.
    Just different cultures... My parents weren't gourmets, far from it, but liked to eat well (as do most Italian families). My mum was a fabulous cook, so when they ate out the food had to be at least as good as my mum made at home, which predisposed them to dining in decent restaurants.

Marco.
    Main System

I'm Robin.

Nice day around 22c at the moment
    Regards
    Robin

Acoustic Solid Wood MPX, Ortofon Quintet Bronze
    Pathos Classic Remix Amp, dac
    Cyrus Signature phono stage
    Eversolo DMP-A6
    Cyrus CD i
    ART Stiletto 6V3. Loudspeakers

I'm Martin.

Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post
    That would've probably been half decent. They were generally pretty consistent in quality and knew how to cook steak!

Marco.
    I remember it being excellent. Don't recall ever having a bad meal in a Berni. Used to go to the one in Old Hall Street in Liverpool about twice a year. Down in a basement. There was one on the Pier Head too but that was more expensive for no apparent reason. Only went there once Long gone now, even the building has been replaced.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm Martin.

Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm Grant.

a roaster today.. took car out to a smallish service station m&s shop.. i went in and got a few things... first time ive met folk in 11 weeks.. i was shaking after it strange reaction; just shows tho
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

+ Reply to Thread
Page 12 of 18 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 ... LastLast