+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Pioneer M90, Onkyo M-504/M-508, Accuphase Or Something Else?

I'm Ben.

Quote Originally Posted by Macca View Post
    If you know where there's a Pioneer M90 going then get it!

That might be the main problem, availability of high end 80s power amps just isn't great. And when they do come up sellers want silly money.
    I do, original owner too but he can’t decide if he wants to sell. What would be a good price for a buyer and seller?

You could consider a Phillips 380 'Black Tulip', has the VU meters, good sound quality. You'd probably want to replace the speaker connections for something that will take a decent gauge of wire but they can be had for a reasonable price.
    Thank you, any idea on the SQ? I’ll take a look now.

Don't know what your budget is but there are some tasty amplifiers by Accuphase from around that period. I think the Technics amps are a bit over-rated myself.
    Healthy for the right amp, I feel that about the Technics too but wondered if the larger A class amps would be any better. They look clean but prices being asked for them certainly isn’t.

I'm Ben.

I always fancied a P300L. Never heard one but how good does it look?

Now that looks tasty!

I'm Martin.

Quote Originally Posted by HD Goofnut View Post
    I do, original owner too but he can’t decide if he wants to sell. What would be a good price for a buyer and seller?

Thank you, any idea on the SQ? I’ll take a look now.

Healthy for the right amp, I feel that about the Technics too but wondered if the larger A class amps would be any better. They look clean but prices being asked for them certainly isn’t.
    Price on M90? I really don't know. Not like you can go on ebay and get an average for the sold listings. I would say it if is cosmetically mint and serviced then you've got to be looking at around the 2 grand mark. They are pretty rare and sought after. I've paid £900 for a Krell KSA50S and £1800 for a Krell KSA100Mk2 in the past 2 years if that gives you any idea. I wouldn't go over 2 grand for an old power amp though, not even that Accuphase.

Phillips 380 - I have one, sound quality is good, a cut above. But I don't get that same 'monstrous power on tap' feeling from it. I don't think you'd get the same satisfaction of ownership from it compared to what you would with the M90 or similar. The VU meters are very pretty though.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm Martin.

Oh re the Technics - I have only heard two of their 80s power amps( no idea of model numbers), and not in familiar systems but they didn't impress me. Maybe there are others that are good. the problem with Technics is that every mug punter has heard of them so that itself inflates the prices.
    Current Lash Up:

I'm Ben.

Price on M90? I really don't know. Not like you can go on ebay and get an average for the sold listings. I would say it if is cosmetically mint and serviced then you've got to be looking at around the 2 grand mark. They are pretty rare and sought after. I've paid £900 for a Krell KSA50S and £1800 for a Krell KSA100Mk2 in the past 2 years if that gives you any idea. I wouldn't go over 2 grand for an old power amp though, not even that Accuphase.

Phillips 380 - I have one, sound quality is good, a cut above. But I don't get that same 'monstrous power on tap' feeling from it. I don't think you'd get the same satisfaction of ownership from it compared to what you would with the M90 or similar. The VU meters are very pretty though.
    The M90 is mint, original owner, 100% working condition but never serviced.

Shame about the price but look at this beast - https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Accuphase...53.m1438.l2649

I'm Ben.

Oh re the Technics - I have only heard two of their 80s power amps( no idea of model numbers), and not in familiar systems but they didn't impress me. Maybe there are others that are good. the problem with Technics is that every mug punter has heard of them so that itself inflates the prices.
    Makes sense, I’ll forget about the Technics

I'm Martin.

Quote Originally Posted by HD Goofnut View Post
    The M90 is mint, original owner, 100% working condition but never serviced.

Shame about the price but look at this beast - https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Accuphase...53.m1438.l2649
    Very tasty. But you need to use a step down transformer with it, I've read that can compromise sound quality. Don't know if it's true but always puts me off.
    Current Lash Up:

I'm Ben.

Very tasty. But you need to use a step down transformer with it, I've read that can compromise sound quality. Don't know if it's true but always puts me off.
    Maybe the M90 for less hassle?

I believe there is a possibility the transformer can be fiddled with but I would have no way of knowing for sure until I had it in hand which could work out an expensive lesson if I couldn’t modify it.

I'm Rich.

I'm Ben.

Quote Originally Posted by dicy View Post
    ?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast