+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Valve recommendations

I'm Nathan.

Ok. I’ve gone for the Jan Philips 12ax7wa and matsushita pcc88.

There not silly prices so give me the option to tube roll on a low budget.

Thanks to everyone for the suggestions. Much appreciated

Location: Banbury, Oxfordshire/Panteg is where my late father was born

I'm Chris.

Jan Phillips is a fine choice I have a pair of those, lovely sounding ecc83.
    Chris

We've gone on holiday by mistake !

I'm Nathan.

Thanks Chris.
    I’m hoping they will be here tomorrow so I can have a play on my weekend off, But no doubt they’ll next week when I have to work and have no time to listen.

I'm Manny.

Mullard ECC83 tubes being warm sounding is a myth. Genuine NOS new in box Mullards ECC83 tubes have a fullness to the sonics and have no peers for a reason, they were and are the best. And they last for years.

Unfortunately genuine NOS new in box Mullards are hard to come by - so what you find is folk hearing well used tired sounding tubes passed off as new, they sound 'warm'.

I've been fortunate to have had most (genuine) Telefunken, Tesla (majority are sadly fake, probably EI) etc etc. Yes the Tele's are nice, but not 'better' than Mullards in my opinion - no chance. There is a lot of expectation bias with some German tubes, you 'expect' them to sound good. Apologies for name-dropping but this reminds me of a conversation with my dear friend Glenn Croft and he loves the Mullards too - and additionally the only time I've made Jac van de Walle go quiet when he waxes lyrical abot the Telefunken ECC803S (https://jacmusic.com/JJ/803S-FAKE/). Jac van de Walle is a really nice guy though!
    Last edited by vinyl; 01-05-2020 at 22:46.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12