+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: So what is your HiFi story and views, has your journey been worth is?

I'm Alan.

Great journey John, glad you are now at the point you are.

I'm Martin.

Quote Originally Posted by Lurch View Post
    November 2016 was also when I made the fatal mistake of holding a BO and permitting people to bring kit, and allowing some of it to be plugged into my rig. A rig which up until then I thought was bloody amazing and well beyond what I thought I could achieve.

Anyway suffice to say that every piece of kit that got plugged into my rig that day made me realise I was a long way from where I thought I was.
    lol - the bake-offs are deadly aren't they? I mean I knew that there was better out there than what I had - or had heard at shows or dealers - but until you experience it, it's only theoretical.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm John.

Thanks, here's a couple of photos from my journey.

Sent from my I3312 using Tapatalk
    Money may not make me happy.
    But it helps me afford the kind of misery I prefer.

SYSTEM 1:

Analogue.
    Brinkmann Bardo / 12" OL Enterprise Mk4 / Koetsu Rosewood Signature Platinum /BigBottle mk3 /MFA Baby Reference Pre/Nord One UP SE NC500M/Martin Logan Summit

Digital.
    Docet Lector CDP-7TL mkiii/Pimped Bluesound Node2 + BOTW SBooster Lps/ Pimped Mk1 Jolida Fx Glass DAC.

Wires etc.
    Audioplan Musicable ICs & TQ Black ll SC, assorted branded kettle leads.
    Target TT shelf & Alphason 5 shelf rack.
    Power Inspired AG1500S mains regen.

SYSTEM 2: Back to the 80s.

Garrard 401, RB250, A&R P77Mg / Mk1 Marantz CD63 SE / Sony TC-FX150 / Sansui T500L / Cambridge Audio C50 + 2x A50 as bridged monos (mid 80s Stan Curtis's design) / or KEF 104ab/ Original 80s Monster Cable IC, DNM SC / Target 5 shelf rack.

SPARE KIT:
    A&R E77Mg
    Ortofon 2M Silver + Blue stylus
    Philips CD600
    Arcam Alpha 8P
    Pro-Ject DacBox S FL
    CCA
    FiiO Taishan
    Heybrook HB1 S2
    Q Acoustics 3050

I'm Adrian.

Brinkman Bardo lovely TT, one day maybe

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Listening is the act of aural discrimination and dissemination of sound, and accepting you get it wrong sometimes.

Analog Inputs: Pro-Ject Signature 10 TT & arm, Benz Micro LP-S, Michel Cusis MC, Goldring 2500 and Ortofon Rondo Blue cartridges, Hitachi FT5500 mk2 Tuner

Digital:- Marantz SA-KI Pearl CD player, RaspberryPi/HifiBerry Digi+ Pro, Buffalo NAS Drive

Amplification:- AudioValve Sunilda phono stage, Krell KSP-7B pre-amp, Krell KSA-80 power amp

Output: Wilson Benesch Vector speakers, KLH Ultimate One Headphones

Cables: Tellurium Q Ultra Black II RCA & Chord Epic 2 RCA, various speaker leads, & links

I think I am nearing audio nirvana, but don’t tell anyone.

I'm Mike.

A lot of people here and other forums seem to end up with valves, is that herd behaviour or because valves offer the most pleasing performance for home listening, even though it seems apparent to me that a big solid state amp would likely give a beefier and more realistic soundstage?
    Current system 1210 GR. CDP - Meridian G08. Amp -Sugden A21I - Sig. Wharfedale Lintons.

I'm Robert.

Quote Originally Posted by Mikeandvan View Post
    A lot of people here and other forums seem to end up with valves, is that herd behaviour or because valves offer the most pleasing performance for home listening, even though it seems apparent to me that a big solid state amp would likely give a beefier and more realistic soundstage?
    Dont have comprehensive answers to all of that Mike and never owned a valve based set-up but I believe there's a rather enjoyable warmth to the music, maybe richness too that people really like.

They look cool to my eyes as well, although with the luck i have, I'd be scared to own valves.
    My System:
    Amplification - Sansui AU-alpha 707 DR
    Turntable - Technics SP10 MK2-Technics EPA-250 Tonearm-Yannis Tome 423.5Plus tonearm cable-Eichmann KLEI Absolute Harmony plugs.
    Ortofon Cadenza Black moving coil cartridge-Fritz Gyger S re-tip. Panzerholz plinth.

CDP - Pioneer PD-91
    Speakers - Spendor D7 on Soundcare SuperSpikes
    QED Silver Spiral speaker cable-airloc banana plugs
    Mains - Ultra Pure silver plated un-switched socket-Missing link EPS 500 silver plated plugs-Hi-Fi Tuning gold plated silver ceramic 13 amp fuses

I'm Martin.

I'd say it's possible to get superb ampfication in either valve or solid state. It's not that simple.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm Mike.

Quote Originally Posted by Macca View Post
    I'd say it's possible to get superb ampfication in either valve or solid state. It's not that simple.
    I hope so, I've just sent off my S500 for service/mods!
    Current system 1210 GR. CDP - Meridian G08. Amp -Sugden A21I - Sig. Wharfedale Lintons.

I'm jamie.

though it seems apparent to me that a big solid state amp would likely give a beefier and more realistic soundstage?
    why?
    My System
    John Wood KT88 Amp.
    Paradise Phono Stage
    Sony TTS-8000 Turntable.
    PMAT-1010 MK6 Tonearm.
    Ortofon Cadenza Bronze
    Sony X555ES Cd Player
    Yamaha NS1000m Speakers

I'm Dennis.

SS has in general a greater ability to supply current, and superior damping factors.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast