+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lowering output level using resistors

I'm Chris.

Default Lowering output level using resistors

Hi guys,

I'm looking to further reduce the output voltage from my preamp. It currently has 1 Dale 100k resistor so I've been advised to put another 100k one in series to achieve the desired effect.

Just wondered if I could improve upon this resistor by maybe going carbon or a composite without introducing unwanted noise.

So far on my list I've come across:

Shinkoh
    Amtrans AMRG
    Arcol carbon composite
    Holco
    Takman carbon
    Takman metal film

I'm assuming I'll only need up to around 0.25w tolerance as it's probably not going near that and the ones in there now are the smallest type so probably 0.25w?

Help and advice much appreciated.

Cheers
    System 1: - Amp - Musical Paradise MP-701 mk2 - Neurochrome 686
    - Source: Audio Technica LP-5 - Custom 6V6 stage - Novafidelity X30 - Soekris 1421 (LPSU) - Custom TDA1541 C3G DAC -
    - Speakers: Martin Logan Prodigy's - Subs: - REL T3's -

System 2 - Amp: Musical Paradise MP 303/Custom 300B SET - Custom 6SL7 Pre -
    - Source: Pioneer N-30K - SONCOZ SGD1 -
    - Speakers: Loth X BS1's - Sub: REL T3 -

Hello !
    Do you have a schematics about the Preamp you intend to modify , I don't see anyone in your systems ?
    RC

I'm Chris.

Hi,

it's my Musical Paradise MP-701.

Unfortunately I do not have the schematics but the circuit has been slightly modified (by Mr Firebottle) from the original. It's on his recommendation to add another 100k resistor.

It has a "high" and "low" output. The "high" output is just that and the "low" output has a 100k resistor before the output RCA. I wish there was a better way to lower gain but its quite a temperamental thing as it is.

Sounds glorious though, hence my perseverance with it.

Certainly doesn't help that I've got a big power amp going into very sensitive speakers but its the combination that can sound incredibly good. Just too much gain.

Cheers

Chris
    - Source: Audio Technica LP-5 - Custom 6V6 stage - Novafidelity X30 - Soekris 1421 (LPSU) - Custom TDA1541 C3G DAC -

I'm Dennis.

Throughout my career carbon resistors were regarded as noisy, and metal oxide much better.

I'm Chris.

Quote Originally Posted by Pharos View Post
    Throughout my career carbon resistors were regarded as noisy, and metal oxide much better.
    Seems to be the consensus Dennis.

Think I'm going to go for some Audio Note Tantalum Non-Magnetic Resistors 220k (so I don't have to solder together 2 x 100k's).

'Cheap' enough to try anyway and likely better than whats in there anyway.

I saw in user's manual that you can manage the gain, with dip-switches http://www.musicalparadise.ca/files/MP-701.pdf
    How are settled these switches ?
    What kind of tubes did you install ?
    There is also an option to reduce gain when acting fedback ..how are these pots ?
    R.C.

I'm Chris.

Quote Originally Posted by Ciu View Post
    I saw in user's manual that you can manage the gain, with dip-switches http://www.musicalparadise.ca/files/MP-701.pdf
    How are settled these switches ?
    What kind of tubes did you install ?
    There is also an option to reduce gain when acting fedback ..how are these pots ?
    R.C.
    Yes indeed, they are quite useful, gain is on low setting and feedback is on. Hence lowest gain. I am using 6sn7 tubes and adapters. When using 12au7 tubes the gain is pretty much the same as the 6sn7's maybe 2-3db difference. I would have thought it would be more but in reality it isn't much different in listening.

Thanks for your help anyway, much appreciated.

Hello!
    without any schematics, I can't give more option to help
    If I had to do, I would insert a resistor before the preamp pot, value = to pot resistance (10mn,soldering iron , 2 basic resistors to test values)
    This option can be modified or reverted to initial .

I'm Chris.

Sorry to crash in on this debate, but to lower the signal by say 15 dB what value resistor you you pick, and I would recommend the AN tantalums.
    Source
    SW1X Universal Music Server UMS I Signature with Power Supply Unit PSU I Signature
    SW1X USB II
    SW1X DAC III Special
    Audiolab 6000 CDT transport
    Amps
    Pre amps -- Hi fi Collective twin mono ladder stepped attenuator, with Charcroft Z-foil and silver wired. And First Watt B1 active no gain buffer.
    Power amps -- Welborne 45 SET monoblocks 1.8W / Decware Taboo 6W / Elekit 300B TU-8600SVK plus further improved components 9W / ICE Power 1000W
    Speakers
    Highly modified Endorphin P17 open baffle speakers containing both vintage and modern alnico drivers and paper cones. All silver wired - 8" Cube Audio FC8 full range drivers and vintage 15" Altec VOTT 416 bass drivers. All sat on Townsend Audio Podium seismic isolation platforms.
    BK Electronics XLS400FF Sub.
    Cabling
    Silver mains cables, interconnects and speaker cables by SW1X
    Headphones
    HRT HeadStreamer and SennHeiser HD650 headphones

I'm Dennis.

This feels a bit like being asked to explain to a man in a different continent, how he should get to a given street when one has no knowledge of the town, or even the country.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast