+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Kralk Audio TDB12 or Kef 105.4

I'm Mike.

Default Kralk Audio TDB12 or Kef 105.4

I'm looking for advice and recommendations here, basically i want a bit more bass in my life i'm currently running a pair of Monitor Audio 705 PMC speakers which are slim floor standers with 2 x 6 inch drivers and a metal dome tweeter, the mid and top end out of these is great but i think the bass could be improved on.

My listening room is in the basement so no windows, it's about 15 foot square and a low ceiling about 6'4", the floor is carpeted and the room is sonically dead zero echo, due to the size of the room the speakers need to go no more than 2 feet from a back wall and can be placed about 8 or 9 foot apart.

So i've briefly heard the Kralks and they sound gorgeous the problem is they are out of production at the moment due to a shortage of bass drivers and tweeters, i've been told i'm probably going to have to wait 6 to 8 months for a pair. Now to the Kef's which are old in anyone's books so i'm going to have to look at getting a good 2nd hand pair and even then they will probably need a crossover rebuild at the least, plus i'm not sure if they would be suitable for the room, however i've always wanted these ever since my dad had a pair on trial from gibsons audio back in the 70's.

My budget is about £1500 to £2k

As the late Colonel Sanders once said
    "I'm too drunk to taste this chicken!!"

I'm mark.

If you like what your current speakers do...
    https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Velodyne-...4AAOSwrENeog5W

* missed the collection only, stranger deliveries have been done

A little closer?
    https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Velodyne-...QAAOSwDdxebgHj

I've got DD12, its older than these Ultra models, I strongly suspect similar performance with better integration. They have very good auto setup.

I'm Steve.

+1 for Mark's suggestion. The 'tunability' of good quality subs should make getting the bass right less of a lottery. Your budget should get 2 decent ones.
    I just dropped in, to see what condition my condition was in

T/T: Inspire Monarch, X200 tonearm, Ortofon Quintet Blue. Phono: Project Tube Box CD: Marantz CD6006 (UK Edition); Amp: Musical Fidelity A5 Integrated.
    Speakers: Zu Omen Def, REL T9i subwoofer. Cables: Atlas Equator interconnects, Atlas Hyper 3.0 speaker cables

T'other system:
    Echo Dot, Amptastic Mini One,Arcam A75 integrated, Celestion 5's, BK XLS-200 DF

A/V:
    LG 55" OLED, Panasonic Blu Ray, Sony a/v amp, MA Radius speakers, REL Storm sub

Forget the past, it's gone. And don't worry about the future, it doesn't exist. There is only NOW.

KICKSTARTER: ENABLING SCAMMERS SINCE 2009

I'm Mike.

Never thought of subs and yes they will be easier to tune i guess, but and yes there's always a but, a couple more boxes into not a massive room and they won't get rid of the thump thump thump sound that you get when small drivers try to do bass as in the MA's they would be paired with.

I'm mark.

Not sure on your amps, but the Velodyne can be used between pre/power and cuts bass @ 80hz, its rudimentary DSP engine and gives the main speakers an easier ride.

Nothings ever simple though, and sometimes a change is what we want. Not heard either the Kef's or Kralks beyond Proggy liking his

I'm Martin.

I had a listen to the Kralk TDB12 but it was at a show with an amp I don't care for (EAR). Even so you can't fault them for the money.

The KEFs are way better speakers though. Not surprising really they'd be at least ten times the price of the TDB12 if they were still made. Assuming you could get them already restored or do it yourself.

Personally I'd consider some of the big Focals from the late 90s or early 2000s. Should be in your budget, Big Focals lose their value even faster than big Peugeots do.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm Steve.

Quote Originally Posted by Jac Hawk View Post
    I'm looking for advice and recommendations here, basically i want a bit more bass in my life i'm currently running a pair of Monitor Audio 705 PMC speakers which are slim floor standers with 2 x 6 inch drivers and a metal dome tweeter, the mid and top end out of these is great but i think the bass could be improved on.

My listening room is in the basement so no windows, it's about 15 foot square and a low ceiling about 6'4", the floor is carpeted and the room is sonically dead zero echo, due to the size of the room the speakers need to go no more than 2 feet from a back wall and can be placed about 8 or 9 foot apart.

So i've briefly heard the Kralks and they sound gorgeous the problem is they are out of production at the moment due to a shortage of bass drivers and tweeters, i've been told i'm probably going to have to wait 6 to 8 months for a pair. Now to the Kef's which are old in anyone's books so i'm going to have to look at getting a good 2nd hand pair and even then they will probably need a crossover rebuild at the least, plus i'm not sure if they would be suitable for the room, however i've always wanted these ever since my dad had a pair on trial from gibsons audio back in the 70's.

My budget is about £1500 to £2k
    PM me Mike

I'm Rohan.

Quote Originally Posted by Macca
    Big Focals lose their value even faster than big Peugeots do.
    Love the analogy- perfect. Any models spring to mind Martin?

Mike, the 105.4 is probably fantastic, but I wouldn't be expecting much deep bass from it- certainly not to the depths of its predecessors 105.1 and .2 (I believe you are acquainted with them).

I'm Martin.

Quote Originally Posted by VanDerGraaf View Post
    Love the analogy- perfect. Any models spring to mind Martin?

Mike, the 105.4 is probably fantastic, but I wouldn't be expecting much deep bass from it- certainly not to the depths of its predecessors 105.1 and .2 (I believe you are acquainted with them).
    Well I've got the Electra 926, best speaker I've owned by a country mile, out of the dozens I've had over the years. In fact one of the best speakers I've ever had a listen to, not just owned. Date from the late 1990s. They've done lots of iterations since, I think the latest one is the Kanta 2 but they are all basically the same design.

Superb midrange, close to electrostatics, and not so big and bassy that they won't work in a typical 16x12 room. Will show up inadequate amplifiers though which I think is why Focals in general have a poor rep on forums and so don't sell easily.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm Mike.

i'll be using a primaluna evo 400

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast