+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Anyone made a Frugelhorn Lite speaker kit ?

I'm steve.

As I explained in my last post I ordered a Topping D30 DAC which I've now had installed in the setup for just over 2 weeks, as I expected the DAC has made a noticeable improvement in SQ over the onboard DAC in the CXA60, better dynamics and improved refinement.
    Now the FHLs have probably passed 300 hours they have improved considerably to how they sounded after the 100 hours recommended break in period for the drivers, initially higher volume levels sounded a touch strained, now the speakers within their limits have an effortless quality to their sound. I have to say the FHLs have exceeded my expectations by a considerable margin, tbh building them was a bit of a punt which has worked out extremely well.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I'm Rob.

I made a pair from KJF (his first FHL kit) a few years back....

With and without some outriggers stolen from my Rega R9 speakers at the time. They certainly would make a great discrete system, as they are designed to work in corners, maybe combined with a small sealed subwoofer to fill out the bottom end.

Frugelhorn Lite by Robert Seymour, on Flickr

System by Robert Seymour, on Flickr
    Michell Mycro / AT33PTG/II | Ray Samuels F-117 Nighthawk | Yamaha CD-NT670D | Bryston B60R | ATC SCM10

I'm John.

Quote Originally Posted by steve-z View Post
    As I explained in my last post I ordered a Topping D30 DAC which I've now had installed in the setup for just over 2 weeks, as I expected the DAC has made a noticeable improvement in SQ over the onboard DAC in the CXA60, better dynamics and improved refinement.
    Now the FHLs have probably passed 300 hours they have improved considerably to how they sounded after the 100 hours recommended break in period for the drivers, initially higher volume levels sounded a touch strained, now the speakers within their limits have an effortless quality to their sound. I have to say the FHLs have exceeded my expectations by a considerable margin, tbh building them was a bit of a punt which has worked out extremely well.

I built a pair several yearss ago and remember that mouth open moment when I realised I could build a set of speakers using a tiny driver and no crossover for less than a few hundred pounds that would trounce more expensive traditional ones, in many, if not all ways.
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Home built PC driving Adam Audio 7 Active Monitors from Asus Xonar Essence STX.

I'm neil.

they look fantastic Steve Z..im really keen to hear some frugelhorns someday..
    great work

I'm Peter.

Thank you for sharing your build Steve,.
    They look great and glad to hear that you are enjoying the finished product.
    TT: Pro-ject 1.2, Ortofon Blue
    Phono stage: Muffsy
    Cd: Linn Karik
    Dac: Denafrips Ares II
    Amps: Pre: EleKit TU-8500, Power: Cambridge Audio Azur 651W
    Speakers: Chario Hiper Tower 2000
    Cables: Linn, Straight Wire & Chord Clearways
    Headphones:PC, Ifi Zen Air, Sennheiser HD450 & HD569

I'm Peter.

Thank you for sharing your build Steve,.
    They look great and glad to hear that you are enjoying the finished product.
    TT: Pro-ject 1.2, Ortofon Blue
    Phono stage: Muffsy
    Cd: Linn Karik
    Dac: Denafrips Ares II
    Amps: Pre: EleKit TU-8500, Power: Cambridge Audio Azur 651W
    Speakers: Chario Hiper Tower 2000
    Cables: Linn, Straight Wire & Chord Clearways
    Headphones:PC, Ifi Zen Air, Sennheiser HD450 & HD569

I'm steve.

Thanks for the comments guys, much appreciated.

I'm steve.

I realise that this is a pretty old thread but I just thought I'd stick in an additional. The Frugelhorn Lites have got several hundred hours on them now and full break in did take quite a time and the sound quality has steadily improved, bass extension in particular got better as the hours piled on, sub 40hz is now available.
    For quite a while I've had the tube amp itch that I've been eager to scratch, so I took the plunge and bought a Reisong A10 a single ended Class A tube amp. It was a real punt as all I had to go on were numerous online and Youtube reviews. I've had the amp now for almost 2 months and it has proved to have pretty incredible synergy with the Frugelhorn Lites and has displaced the Cambridge CXA60 in my bedroom setup (CXA60 now sold on). I had misgivings about matching issues with the relatively low sensitivity of Alpair 5.3 drivers at 85db/w and the A10s power ceiling of only 6wpc, these thankfully have proved inconsequential and the amp drives the FHLs beautifully, the sound balance is more to my liking than from the CXA60 as there is a bit more bass weight and warmth which gives a nicer balance.
    On the recommendation of a tube aficionado friend of mine I also tried a bit of "tube rolling" and replaced the 2 6n2p pre tubes with a pair of Russian made Voshkod Rocket tubes which have improved the airiness of the top end to good effect for an outlay of just £20. With the results I've had I can wholeheartedly recommend the Reisong A10/Frugelhorn Lite combo.

I'm Gary.

Tony,
    (Wee Tee Cee) here on AOS is a bit of an authority on the Frugelhorns, he's had a couple of sets if I'm right?

Heard them at his, they are wonderful sounding things.
    AC POWER
    Hardwired 10kVA balanced mains powering entire system
    AMPS
    Meridian 557 power Amp (Modded) / PS Audio BHK Preamp (Modded)
    SPEAKERS
    Wharfedale Evo 4.4
    DAC
    PS Audio Directstream (Modded)
    TURNTABLE
    Pro-Ject X8 balanced output via XLR / Ortofon Quintet Blue cartridge
    PHONOSTAGE
    Pro-Ject DS3 B balanced Input (TT and Phonostage powered by Pro-Ject Power box RS2 linear psu)
    DIGITAL
    OPPO 203 (Modded: Linear PSU, i2s output to Dac) - Roon Endpoint, HDMI input used for all things Streaming/ PS5 /AppleTV ... also good for movies apparently?
    MUSIC PLAYBACK
    Tweaked AP-Linux based Roon Server into Oppo 203 as Roon endpoint
    Ipad Roon Remote.
    Apple Music/ YouTube via AppleTV, fed to Dac via Oppo HDMI input/i2s output to Dac.
    SPEAKER CABLES
    Biwired: Duelund DCA10GA (Bass) Duelund DCA16GA (mid & treble) Duelund 12DCA used as jumpers (On
    "Blackcat Cable" Chris Sommivigo's advice - yup, even with biwire it sounds better - and it does)
    INTERCONNECTS
    All Balanced: Ghost+ recording studio XLR cables

I'm steve.

Default Anyone made a Frugelhorn Lite speaker kit ?

Having been listening to the Frugelhorn Lite/Reisong A10 for quite a while my initial findings which were perhaps tinged with a hint of expectation bias have now changed somewhat, the combination still sounds excellent within volume constraints but unfortunately the very low power of the Reisong severely limits the sound particularly on wide dynamic range programme material where the lack of headroom really shows up, so regrettably I've taken the FHLs out of service and have substituted a pair of higher sensitivity speakers which the Reisong amp is more comfortable with. The speakers are the Mission QX2 standmounts, I was lucky enough to pick up a mint condition used pair off ebay for just £160, a real bargain considering their original RRP of £399, I bought them on the strength of a WHF 2018 award and a recommended tag from Hifi Choice having not auditioned them prior to purchase. Although only 3dbs more sensitive you have to consider that for a given volume that means they need half the power that the FHLs require. As sensitivity measurements are usually taken at 1khz the QX2s actually appear even louder than 3dbs more due to the fuller low end that they possess compared to the FHLs, because of that the Reisong has a lot more headroom in reserve.
    Much as I've loved my time with them the FHLs are now up for sale

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123