+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Potential issue with Linn LK100 active system

I'm Brian.

Default Potential issue with Linn LK100 active system

I wonder if someone can help with a ‘daft’ question? I’ve got an old Linn system - karik CD player, Majik 1 integrated amplifier (being used as control amp) with two LK 100 amplifiers in active mode on bass and treble hooked up to Keilidh speakers. I’ve only just noticed that the system plays without the bass LK100 amp switched on, which can’t be right? When I switch it on, there is no noticeable difference to the sound. I wonder if the interconnects might not be correct? Ive searched for a diagram just to check this but there’s nothing obvious online. If anyone has any pointers, that would be much appreciated.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm Dennis.

Try being more specific.

I'm openingabottleofwine.

An obvious question Brian, but have you removed the links between the treble and bass driver terminals?
    Barry

I'm Brian.

Quote Originally Posted by Barry View Post
    An obvious question Brian, but have you removed the links between the treble and bass driver terminals?
    Thanks Barry, yes no links are present between the terminals. I’ll maybe post a pic up tomorrow when I revisit the issue.

I'm Brian.

Ok, here are a few pics of the interconnects between the pre-amp and two bi-amped LK100 amps on treble and bass:

Pre out from Majik to LK100 on treble

Interconnect between LK100 treble and LK100 bass
    Pic of active speaker connects for reference

I’m just confused as to why the system sounds exactly the same when the bass amp is not switched on. I only discovered this by accident when I mistakenly put the system on without switching this amp on.

Maybe I’m missing something really fundamental - quite possible! Thanks.

I'm Martin.

When you switch off the bass amp you just have one amp driving the whole speaker - as you are still running the signal from the first amp through the second amp to the bass drivers, even with the second amp switched off.

The reason it sounds the same is because one LK100 is more than capable of driving the speakers on its own.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm Brian.

Quote Originally Posted by Macca View Post
    When you switch off the bass amp you just have one amp driving the whole speaker - as you are still running the signal from the first amp through the second amp to the bass drivers, even with the second amp switched off.

The reason it sounds the same is because one LK100 is more than capable of driving the speakers on its own.
    Thanks Macca - That sort of makes sense now. It just made me wonder what contribution the aktiv bass amp made when there was no appreciable difference when it was off.

I'm Martin.

I've got an LK100 and the ability to daisy chain them is pretty cool - but it seems not really necessary with the Keilidhs. With Isobariks or Kabers it might be a different story.
    Current Lash Up:

I'm Brian.

Quote Originally Posted by Macca View Post
    I've got an LK100 and the ability to daisy chain them is pretty cool - but it seems not really necessary with the Keilidhs. With Isobariks or Kabers it might be a different story.
    Thanks for your input - that’s very interesting. Having had bass and treble cards installed in both amps, it leaves me pondering if they were really necessary? However, I did notice a decent difference from converting the Keilidhs to active, but still can’t get what benefit the bass active card in the bass amp actually provides when you don’t notice when it’s not in the system.

I'm Martin.

It will still be working as a low pass filter even if the amp is not switched on. So you won't get the HF fed to the bass/mid. You just don't need the extra power from the second amplifier, that's all.

The LK100 is not a wimpy amplifier. Although I did use to clip mine on peaks but only at silly volume levels in a large room.
    Current Lash Up:

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast