+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Potential issue with Linn LK100 active system

I'm Brian.

Quote Originally Posted by Macca View Post
    It will still be working as a low pass filter even if the amp is not switched on. So you won't get the HF fed to the bass/mid. You just don't need the extra power from the second amplifier, that's all.

The LK100 is not a wimpy amplifier. Although I did use to clip mine on peaks but only at silly volume levels in a large room.
    Cool - understood, thanks. Every day is a school day

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm Terry.

Doesn’t sound right. I have 2 lk85s activ into ninkas, when l switch the bass amp off, I only hear the tweeters.

I'm Brian.

Quote Originally Posted by ell-tell View Post
    Doesn’t sound right. I have 2 lk85s activ into ninkas, when l switch the bass amp off, I only hear the tweeters.
    That’s what originally made me wonder. I expected the individual amps with the mid/bass and treble aktiv cards respectively to only serve the respective bass/mid and treble elements of the Keilidh speakers.

I'm Terry.

If you turn the treble amp off, do you still get a full range sound, if so it looks like the signal is still going through the speaker crossover?

I'm Martin.

The power amps are daisy chained so the signal will still go through both sets of active boards even with one amp switched off.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm Andrew.

Apologies for having little knowledge about this set up but looking at the pictures I have a question . On the speakers it states they are set up for bi wire only . Have you had the speakers altered for active ? It seems that you have to do this to be able to get active bass and i presume your comments about boards are in the speakers and not in the amplifiers ? . If the active board has been installed in the power amp to change that does something in the speaker have to be altered too so that they will accept full active use ? As I say all this may be obvious to those of you that use this system but I am a little slow on the up take so not quite clear.

I'm Brian.

Quote Originally Posted by ell-tell View Post
    If you turn the treble amp off, do you still get a full range sound, if so it looks like the signal is still going through the speaker crossover?
    No, there is no sound with the treble amp off, but I can see Macca’s point about how the signal will still go via the bass amp because the amps are daisy chained.

I'm Brian.

Quote Originally Posted by Bencat View Post
    Apologies for having little knowledge about this set up but looking at the pictures I have a question . On the speakers it states they are set up for bi wire only . Have you had the speakers altered for active ? It seems that you have to do this to be able to get active bass and i presume your comments about boards are in the speakers and not in the amplifiers ? . If the active board has been installed in the power amp to change that does something in the speaker have to be altered too so that they will accept full active use ? As I say all this may be obvious to those of you that use this system but I am a little slow on the up take so not quite clear.
    Yes, the speakers have been professionally altered to Active operation - I think the passive crossover is bypassed, standard Linn option for these speakers. The circuit boards (aktiv cards) to separate the bass and treble signals are installed in the relevant amps.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12